Tuesday 5 July 2011

Monster Cable - thx, audio cables


I bought this to replace the cheap cable that came with my 140W sub-woofer. Yes, it made a difference, especially when I crank the volume. I used "Iron Man" the seen with the Jericho bomb exploding, and felt like my clothes was flapping from the sonic boom as opposed to a loud sound with the original cable. The price from Amazon was absolutely unbelievable! Just look at BestBuy and them come back to Amazon to make your purchase! Monster Standard THX-Certified Subwoofer Interconnect Cable (16 Ft)

I received this Subwoofer Interconnect Cable yesterday and installed it right away. The 12 foot length is great; I can virtually place my sub anywhere I want. The cable itself is nice and thick and feels sturdy, unlike the cheap cable I use to have. I am not a "Monster" brand fan because their wires are usually way over priced, but I got this thing for about 1/4 what it costs at Best Buy or Circuit City. Given the price and the quality, this was a good deal.

I own a Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black), which for some reason has left- and right-channel RCA inputs, while my Pioneer VSX-819H-K 5-Channel A/V Receiver (Black) has a mono output for the LFE channel. After buying the sub, I could picture the mono male to stereo male RCA cable that I needed, but none of the blue-shirted associates from a certain nameless Big Box store knew what I meant. I finally got the cable from "AdioShackRay", and got good sound quality until I did further research.



I read that a regular one-channel RCA interconnect would suffice, since the sub is a mono speaker. Also intending to move my sub to a new location, I searched Amazon as a new "Prime" member for a highly rated, brand name subwoofer cable that was around 15 feet. I found exactly what I was looking for with this cable. THX Certification was a bonus. I might be crazy, but I think I did notice a newfound crispness to the sound.



The connection is firm on both ends. Nice and tight. I did not notice any "stiffness" of the cable. Nothing out of the ordinary, or noteworthy. Just a regular cable. Granted it's double-shielded or whatever, but it's not a steel rod.



Two-day shipping was spot on. The box was even wrapped in plastic, presumably to preserve it if left outside during the rain. Great job Amazon! Opening the product was also very simple. Monster's packaging was perforated. I didn't have to fight against the typically impenetrable plastic casement. Definitely well-thought out.



Hopefully, with Amazon's help, I can afford to buy Monster again.

I don't really hear the difference between this and my dish network A/V cable. Maybe it's just my setup.

All i can say is it works, feels like quality material, the connectors fit snug on my sub and receiver, and it's nice and long!

Definitely buy!



If interested my setup is:

Receiver: Sony STR-DN1010

Subwoofer: Energy ESW-8HG (double subs)

Speakers: Klipsch HD 500 (satellites only)

Ok, so you have this nice and thick cable............that goes back to 24 or smaller gauge, no difference, your just paying for the name, I am a professional concert sound engineer, trust me when i tell you. Monster is overpriced, over hyped, cable. A home theater test was done about 2 years ago, with ordinary people, and 2 systems, the people were asked to decide which one sounded better, system 1 ( wired with monster cable) or system 2 ( wired without monster cable) most couldn't tell any difference. system 2 was picked by some, as well as system 1, the difference?........Ready?............ system 2 was wired with Coat hanger ends for RCA plugs with a wire soldered on the end ( and yes with a floating Ground/common) again if you missed that: COAT HANGER ends!!. So to all you good people out there, don't waste your hard earned money on this stuff ( remember: it goes back, and is sent from 24 or smaller gauge wire any way in side your components or stage snake/sound board.)

I've got a bunch of RCA dual and component cables laying around; but, hate to have the unused jacks hanging off the back of both receiver and subwoofer. Aesthetics aside, I suppose that the other jacks could introduce some line interference and noise. Bottom line, this cable is designed specifically for the purpose, with solid cable gauge, perfectly fitting RCA jacks and proper consideration given to the placement of a subwoofer (nice long cable run). Given the long run, this single cable is also easier to run / hide along the wall than a typical RCA dual or component.

I needed a longer cable to place my sub further from my receiver.

This is a higher quality and more heavily shielded cable than I previously used, but there isn't a real difference in sound since I wasn't getting interference before.



This is definitely a better deal for this cable than in big box stores. The sound quality is good and it is well enough shielded that it wouldn't make much sense to pay more for a cable of the same length.

However, recognize it isn't as flexible as less shielded cables.

You can probably pay a few bucks less for a cable of the same length and not notice any difference between the two. If the difference in price is less than 5 bucks it seems to make sense to get the better cable to avoid any possible interference in the future. If the price difference is more than that you're probably fine with the cheaper one. - Audio Cables - Sub Cord - Thx - Monster Cable'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information