Wednesday 20 July 2011

Camera Straps - neckstrap, digital slr


There are two versions of the excellent camera strap. There's this one and then there's the Op/Tech Pro Camera Strap 3/8" - Black.



There are two differences (besides cost).



This strap is considerably shorter. To my mind you can always make the longer strap shorter but once you've let this one out all the way that's all there is. I'm 6'3" and with this strap let out all the way I can sort of comfortably carry a camera over my shoulder. If I want to put the strap over my head it is very uncomfortable.



The shorter strap uses a loop through attachment while with the longer strap you need to thread the strap through your camera eyelet and then the strap buckle. I purchased the shorter strap (not realizing how short it was) for the convenience of the loop attachment. After buying the longer strap I've found that threading the strap isn't that much less convenient.



My suggestion would be to buy the other, longer strap unless you are certain the additional length will not come in handy. Either way, these are extremely comfortable straps.



Additional details about the length difference:



One strap has a max length of 46" and the other a bit over 56". The difference is the length of the two attachment pieces that connect either end of your camera to the center strap. The shorter strap comes with these: Op/Tech System Connector #9 Uni Adapter Loop, 10.5" - 13.5" (26,7 CM - 34,3 CM) each side and the longer one with these: OP/TECH USA System Connectors 3/8" (9,525mm) - Carrying strap connector - black (pack of 2 ). You can see that by going to any of the larger camera store sites and reviewing the details listed there about the two straps. Just google: "Op/Tech 1501372" and then "Op/Tech 1501012" to do searches on the two different straps mentioned in this review.



I found this out the hard way, by ordering the shorter strap without knowing the difference. I "fixed" it by ordering both the longer version of the strap and an extra set of extensions.



BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews can take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've received from other reviewers and work hard to return the favor as best as I can. I hope you found this review helpful and if there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it. OP/TECH 1501372 Pro Loop Strap for Camera Equipment (Black)

This is a great strap. I find the padding to be very, very comfortable and far better the strap that came with my Canon DSLR. Another viewer mentioned it was too short, but I actually had to adjust it quite a bit to make it shorter (I'm 5'5"), so I don't think anyone under 6" would have any problems with it. Realize too that this is part of the Op/Tech system, which means that you can unhook the connectors which grasp the camera, and replace with other Op/Tech connectors (such as the Super Pro A). Why would you want to do this? Well if you use a Canon and certain film cameras (such as Hasselblad or Bronica), the cameras have different hardware for connecting with straps. For example, the connector on this strap will not connect with a Hasselblad or Bronica (but they will connect with most other cameras, including Canon so don't worry). So instead of having different straps that fit different cameras, you can just buy the connectors and click them on and interchange on this one strap.

I replaced my OEM Nikon strap with this one. It is very comfortable and distrubutes the weight nice. I like that it has a bit of stretch and snap back, I can wrap it up in my arm and help to stabalize my hand-held shots. I also like that you can take the large porion of the strap off and clip the ends together. This give you a hand strap that is adjustable. You still need to wrap it and such. I usually have part of it come over and under the front left and wrap my wrist, again, helping me to stabalize my shots.



It slings on the shoulder nice and does not slip off. I often carry it like this at the zoo, or park. It's more and accessible this way vs. around my neck. Also it gets more comfy this way too.

I bought this for my Canon G6, which is almost the size and weight of a full-fledged SLR. This is a great strap. It is well made, the design of the loops allows use on cameras with small eyelets, the strap easily falls away from the camera body while shooting so it's not in your way, and the strap itself distributes the weight over a large area so your shooting fatigue-free for hours. Highly recommended. Wish I bought it about 10 years ago!

I'll just add a few comments since most of the others have given the good points. First, I'm 6'2" and have no problem with the length - the camera could hang down to my waist. The only reason it could be too short is if you put the strap over your head to hang it from your shoulder. But the strap has such good cling that just hanging it off your shoulder is quite safe and much more comfortable.



I also like that the big strap is detachable. But more importantly I like that the male and female ends on the clips will mate on the camera attachments straps. Other brands miss this trick. This make a small carry handle which is useful and doesn't get in the way when I work on a tripod or if I'm just going to keep the camera in the bag. You can then keep the big strap out of your camera bag when you're not going to use it.

It's too short. If they would add about a foot, foot and a half adjustability to it (make it longer), it would be great. Had to retire it after one hiking trip because I couldn't sling my camera in the most comfortable position for me.

I bought this strap to pair with my commonly used R-Strap, a shoulder sling strap that attaches to the tripod mount. I needed a strap with quick-release strips so I didn't have to spend 10 minutes just to change between the two. Unfortunately, the remaining cords left on either side of the camera when you remove the padded portion of the strap are so long that they just get in the way.



Having six inch cords hanging from your camera when you're walking around with it at your side is just plain irritating. Even worse, when use the camera on the tripod in any sort of wind, the wind catches them and can add a small amount of movement to your shot, a real issue during a night shoot when a small amount of movement over 30 seconds results in a blurred subject.



As to the comfort of the strap itself, it is nicely padded and stayed on my neck without any issues, but I found the claims of some of the reviewers here that the strap halved the weight of your camera to be overblown. If you don't plan on making use of the quick-release, then I'd recommend it to you. I, however, am returning it and looking for another strap that won't leave half of itself behind when removed. - Neckstrap - Photography - Strap - Digital Slr'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Camera Straps - neckstrap, digital slr digital slr Camera Straps - neckstrap, digital slr