Sunday 17 July 2011

Bluetooth Headset - s10, bluetooth headset


When I first started using these, I thought I was going to have to return them. They connected easily to my Android phone, and sounded good with Pandora, bTunes, even on phone calls. They even sounded great. The problem was they hurt my outer ears a lot. There was tremendous pressure on the tops of my ears. Obviously, I tried to adjust the fit, in accordance with the directions and the picture on the Motorola website of someone wearing them. Nothing seemed to work. Today, after running 7 miles in them, I decided to return them. 10 minutes later, I realized that the part that was hitting the top of my ears was supposed to go behind the ears. They now feel great, and I'll definitely be keeping them. They even sound better when worn correctly.



Before you discount what I'm saying, or assume that I'm a complete moron for not knowing how to wear headphones, be warned that the directions for wearing them, and the picture on the Motorola website imply that you are supposed to wear them incorrectly.



Now that I'm wearing them correctly, here are the things they do well:

+ Sound Great

+ Connect easily

+ Switch between calls and music seamlessly

+ Feel comfortable, though they are quite a bit heavier than any other headphones, even the older Motorlas (S-9 and S9-HD)

+ Very well made.

+ The battery life is exceptional and you can charge it off micro-USB.





The owner's manual is pretty much useless. The format is tiny, and they put more effort into being hip than providing a useful manual for the product. Fortunately, it is intuitive to use.



The price on these is reasonable, considering what you get and what it can do. I bought mine at Best Buy because Amazon didn't have them yet, and the third party sellers that have them on here are kind of pricey.



I highly recommend that you buy these. I think that you will love them, once you figure out how to fit them. Motorola S10-HD Bluetooth Stereo Headphones[Retail Packaging]

These fit and sound better than the S9-HD, but they get one star because the S10-HD shorted out after 2 hours on the treadmill. I was using it on my phone, and the left-side control panel shorted out midway through my 2nd workout and it starting redialing my last call over and over again, and the power button was shorted so I couldn't turn them off. Had to bring the phone into a different room and disable the bluetooth radio to bring it back under control. I diligently dried the unit off (it wasn't even that sweaty), but it wouldn't power off or take a charge.



I left it on until the battery died, at which point it seemed to respond to the charger again. It came back to life a couple of days later, but the right panel shorted after another 30 mins on the treadmill and it started skipping forward through my tracks at random intervals. Now it's dead for good and won't take a charge. No moisture got under the power cover, so the left and right panels must be poorly constructed--certainly NOT "sweatproof" as advertised.



Friends complained about wrecking their S9s after months of intense use, but mine have lasted a year with only minimal problems after being sweat on intensely for 100s of hours--they occassionally short out, but the buttons just disable instead of firing randomly (your mileage may vary).



Full disclosure: I bought another set of S10s for my girlfriend who does shorter workouts (~30mins, very little sweat) and she loves them. I might try to exchange for a new pair after talking to Motorola, but more than likely I'll just buy new S9s after my old set finally dies. I'm upset that Moto markets this as "sweatproof"--I would have avoided it altogether if they had said "sweat-resistant" like everyone else does, but I figured they finally had their science down.

This headset is perfect if you are:



1- A 13 year old girl or other small child. I'm not sure why a child would need such an expensive device for their expensive smartphone, but that's the only use case I see. The crossbar that holds left and right sides together is all of 5 and a half inches wide and inflexible. The earbud arms twist and turn and pinch your temples and ears, and even if you adjust it a thousand times, no part of your head will be comfortable.



2-Women with shaved heads. The crossbar is supposed to "float" horizontally and parallel to the earbuds, so if your hair goes past your ears there will be interference. If your hair has any sort of body or volume it will push the crossbar and move the earbuds out of place, or into an uncomfortable position.



3-If you plan on keeping very still. Forget about doing anything active like running, or even walking, or maybe even moving your jaw. The earbuds fit so poorly that if you have any sort of hair or head movement, the buds will move, become uncomfortable and dislodge. This may be due to the fact that they were too small, but who are they making these things for?



4-If you don't care about using the microphone at the same time as you listen in stereo. Connected to the mac as an audio input output device you have 2 choices for audio output, headphone (stereo) and headset (mono), and one choice for audio input headset. However if you want to use the mic and select headset, you can only use the headset audio option making everything MONO. If you choose headphone and chose the STEREO option you can't use the microphone. This is a problem because you can't listen to music and then seamlessly switch to a skype call (without changing all your settings and waiting for the headphones to reset). And if you just keep it on headset mode, it sounds like the music is being played through tiny tin cans.



NOTE TO MANUFACTURERS: do better. I haven't seen a single set of bluetooth stereo headsets that are ergonomic, comfortable, work seamlessly and made for an active lifestyle. This is an untapped market. I didn't realize that removing a cord and adding a bluetooth transmitter suddenly makes things 250% crappier, but it does. How do you sleep at night? - Headphones - S10 - Sport Headphones - Bluetooth Headset'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information