Sunday 17 July 2011

Battery Charger - battery charger, automotive


Some years back, I began using deep cycle AGM batteries in a few of my vehicles. Why use such expensive batteries that need specially regulated chargers? Well, let's just say you already know if you've ever had a standard lead-acid battery die and leak acid that ate the battery compartment and fender wall away of a stored vehicle (I had a brand new battery do this to one of my cars in less than six months storage) - or you might know if you don't keep the batteries pulled out of stored vehicles.



Recently, I found one of my expensive AGM batteries to be severely discharged (at 20% charge) from disuse. Normally this would not be a problem as I have always owned an industrial battery charger over the last 40 years that will quicky build a battery or boost start even an 18-wheel tractor. I've had the current one since the late 1970's and it (a NAPA charger) still runs flawlessly - although it will soon need a new AC power cord due to worn insulation.



Okay, therein lies the hidden problem that made me need a new charger. Most chargers including my old NAPA were/are not designed for properly charging newer type batteries such as deep cycle AGM and gelled types. Using the wrong charger on an AGM or gelled type battery can quickly destroy them. These newer battery types require voltage limiting system regulation as they recharge. The old wet-cell un-sealed lead acid batteries are much more forgiving when it comes to higher charging voltages and amperage rates.



While my older charger was able to place a regulated 10 Amp charge rate at under the specified maximum voltage rate for an AGM battery, the best it could charge my Odyssey batteries was 80% - before the voltage began to gradually creep up over the recommended AGM type maximum of 15 volts (an even lower voltage is required for gelled types). Sure, I could have just used the vehicle charging system as its voltage is regulated below 15 volts, but that would have meant many hours driving time - not very cost effective at the price of gas today. Plus, my vehicles with AGM batteries are antiques and show vehicles I don't want to drive far.



Using my old charger to bring back that one AGM battery to only 80% was a royal pain in the rear, as I had to monitor the voltage as the battery charged - and it took hours of watching for it to safely build the Odyssey battery back to 80%. The ten ampere charge rate stayed at around 14.5 volts until it neared 80% - where it then began climbing above 15 volts if I didn't remove the charger. Any higher an ampere rate using this older charger would have resulted in an AGM battery destroying voltage of 18 volts on the old charger's 12 volt battery ampere switch positions. Oh, and for those wondering, I kid you not as my old industrial charger has always been a loud unit due to it's large internal fan. My ears were ringing from sitting there nearby with it running.



After spending a weekend day of that, I decided it was time to wait for the arrival of this new charger I had already decided I needed and ordered from the Amazon store. Okay, I read the manual before and after purchase - pretty much standard stuff except you need to always connect the AC power cord after first connecting the charge cables, and to disconnect the AC power cord before removing the charging cables. It doesn't have a manual on/off switch. As they say on the DirecTV commercial, the rest was a "no-brainer".



I have a few years of electrical engineering experience (okay, many more than a few), so I decided to test a few things when I began using the Schumacher SC-10030A. First, I turned the vehicle headlights on for ten seconds to reduce any surface charge on the Odyssey battery I wanted to charge, and used an Amprobe digital meter to find the battery voltage was more or less stable at 12.54 volts - just above 75%. I then connected the SC-10030A battery cables, and noted it showed 12.5 volts on its display after connecting the unit AC power cord. The display can also be changed by a simple left button press to show the approximate percentage of charge according to voltage. The center switch button controls battery type (default is AGM). The right hand button controls amperage per battery size, and the 100 Amp boost start. I pressed it once to get to the large battery setting (12-30 Amp automatic operation), from the default small battery setting (low 2 Amp amperage setting).



After connecting the SC-10030A, I checked it several times as it charged the AGM battery. The fan gives a low whine and comes on and off automatically as the unit heats and cools. There is nothing loud about this by any stretch of the imagination - the fan on a 500 watt computer power supply is about the same. Once the unit read 13.5 volts for a short time, it soon cycled out of the automatic variable ampere charge rate and went into maintain mode. Using my digital amprobe again, I watched the amps of the maintain charge as they fluctuated from .17 to .28. That's an average of less than a quarter of an amp in maintain mode, and definitely not anything that could damage any AGM battery. An hour later, I looked again and saw those maintain mode amps were fluctuating from .15 to .22 Amps. Seeing these figures, I would have no problem leaving this charger connected and un-attended for a day or two - as I know it would only build a battery back to its full remaining capacity (all batteries permanently lose capacity over time).



The case on this unit is hard plastic and fairly thick. The case handle has a nice strong feel and the charger appears sturdy. I found the cables were completely adequate but, while sturdy, the battery clamp handles are cheaply insulated and not what I would call heavy duty - unlike the clamps on my old professional NAPA charger which can easily take the abuse of a truck driving over them. Still, they appear to be completely adequate for a charger of this unit's capabilities. Looking at the size of this unit out of the box, I was actually surprised to find it had more weight than I expected looking at it. I also saw the cable storage on the back of the unit was adequate as well. The LED display and other LEDs on the unit are also bright and easily seen. Overall, I'm quite pleased with this SC-10030A. Provided with reasonable care, I see no reason this unit shouldn't work reliably for many years. It does exactly what Schumacher has represented it to do, and the five year warranty reinforces how much faith they have in this product. One thing, follow the instruction manual - especially if you intend to use it for boost starting.



At my age, there's yet another reason I like this charger so well other than its easy operation. It only weighs a little over 10 lbs. My old NAPA charger probably weighs 75 lbs. - hard to move even if it is on wheels. One other notable thing - this charger is about half the price of the comparable Odyssey recommended Odyssey charger also sold at Amazon. It has fewer features than the SC-10030A. It still makes sense to save a dollar where it counts - especially when you get a much better product for the price!



Now - on to the de-sulfate mode!



The Shumacher SC 10030A has a de-sulfation mode, but it is not continuous. Any interruption of power or unit settings will switch off this automatic mode as it only comes on by the sensing ability of the unit. Once a battery has a fairly good charge, this unit will not "sense" the need for further de-sulfation, and it then goes directly from "charge mode" into "maintain mode" - skipping "desulfation mode". De-sulfation mode is noted by a flashing yellow "charging" LED instead of it staying solid during normal charging. Just don't expect to see it very often at all. De-sulfation mode can run up to 10 hours - just don't interupt it or it probably won't re-initialize. BatteryMinder has better solutions for desulfation if you are more interested in this recovery type feature. The BatteryMinder 12151 and 12117 do full-time desulfation and can be left connected indefinitely to a good battery - they also recover battery capacity very well.



CAUTION:



Do not operate loads such as car stereo equipment, etc., with this charger connected in "maintain mode". This charger will see the load and incorrectly raise voltages above 16 volts - even while using the AGM or GEL settings. Chargers are not designed to power equipment even with a battery in the circuit.



Update 5/20/2011:



While I have used the unit a number of times now with zero problems, I noticed the fan became very loud when I used the charger to check a battery this evening. I decided to remove the four Phillips head screws that attach the cover to the rest of the unit - and I took a look inside. It was nice to see the large copper wound transformer up close, but I noticed a few of the attached wires were out of place - one had been pinched (a blue one) between the cover and the top of the transfomer core, and some of the others (attached by female spade connector fittings to the transformer spade terminals) were interfering with the handle movement inside the case. This was an easy fix, but I was also surprised to notice several other of the female spade connection fittings were excessively loose on their transformer spade terminals. I simply crimped the female connectors gently with a pair of pliers and re-attached them to their spade terminal on the transformer, as there was no obvious damage or coloration that any type of heating would have caused - that might have loosened them. My conclusion was the unit obviously had these terminals loose from the factory and they just hadn't caused any problem - as yet. I also found it odd that the simple wiring position changes, I made, hadn't been made at the factory to eliminate any future use problem - as it only required a single gentle looping in each of two of the wires, and slightly bending/positioning others out of the way of the handle area.



I couldn't see anything wrong with the tiny fan, but I used a white silicone spray and lubed it as best I could inside its bearing area - after having removed it from the upper case. I couldn't help but notice the three screws holding it seemed overly tight (a fourth was noticeably absent - but not present anywhere inside the case or in the factory box I keep my unit stored in), and I wondered why the fourth was obviously missing from the factory. I reinstalled the fan and lightly tightened the three screws evenly (no danger of the these screws coming out). I also made sure not to overtighten the four case screws at reassembly.



Once back together, I hooked the charger back up to the battery and plugged the power cord in. The fan was now back to its normal quieter self and the handle now slides in and extends out without any interference - and yes, the unit performed just as well as always. I couldn't say if all units get assembled this shoddy from the factory, but it wouldn't hurt to carefully check inside if your fan suddenly gets louder for no reason - or if the handle appears to be interferred with by something inside the case. While in there I would also gently wiggle the transformer connections and carefully tighten any female spades that appear excessively loose. I'm sure I just added years to the life of my unit, but I shouldn't have needed to do these things on what is a brand new unit.



The unit does most everything well as it should - and I could have simply returned it for repair. But, it was easier for me to just do this correctly myself than shipping it off and waiting for its return. Who knows, some of the same small problems might still have existed after being sent back and returned. I mean, it did come that way from the factory. Anyway, my look inside showed me the components look well designed for the price - and opening the case isn't difficult. Schumacher SC-10030A SpeedCharge Automatic Charger and Maintainer - Automotive - Battery Charger'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Battery Charger - battery charger, automotive battery charger Battery Charger - battery charger, automotive