Saturday 11 June 2011

wireless presenter - wireless presenter


I always wanted a mouse that works in the air, but there is one problem - cost. They almost always cost well above $80.



Also recently I had to give quite a lot of presentations, so when I found this for a low price I said what the hell and bought it.



When it arrived I immediately unpacked it and started testing it. It the package I found a set of batteries, remote, the dongle, wrist loop and a pouch. So you are ready to go right out of the box.



When you connect the dongle it is recognized as a mouse, a keyboard or both (depends on your system, my MacOSX recognized as both and asked me to define what type of keyboard I connected and showed new mouse connected).

The dongle is small, but I would not leave it in a computer while transporting it. It is about 50% larger than the logitech nano receiver. It also conveniently stores in the presenter itself. Also when the dongle is stored in the presenter it turn itself off extending battery life and preventing accidental laser to the eye.



Now for the main course - the remote.

It is in a simple oblong shape with 5 buttons - left, right, start/stop, and button that appear to be shutting down the screen. On the underside it has a toggle between the mouse and presenter. In the mouse mode the left, right buttons double as a right and left click.

It fits well in a hand and holding it for a long period of time is not a problem. All of the buttons are easily accessible. I've had troubles with toggling between mouse and remote, but with a little adjustment to the grip I was able to overcome that.

With a simple slide of the toggle you switch between the remote and mouse. The gesture mouse is fairly good and precise. You won't be able to do everything with it (like with a normal mouse, dragging dropping etc) but you will be able to point and click and do some basic gestures (after some practice I was able to browse my web fairly easily using gestures, the one thing that is annoying and a hindrance is scrolling). Also annoying is inability to recenter the mouse on the screen. For example you reach the end of your screen but you keep moving the remote. Next time you move it you will have some offset from the previous orientation. I one time ended pointing at 90 degree angle from the screen. I was facing the computer and my hand was pointing at the wall and moving the mouse. You can realign it by shutting down the mouse, aligning it with cursor and turning it on again.

The laser pointer is also good. It was visible in well lit room.



Now you ask why 4 stars not 5.

First is the instruction/manual. It is printed on a newspaper paper (tissue thin) and probably similar in size(if not bigger) and then it is folded in about 15 different directions to about the size of the matchbook just a little thicker. So when you unfold it you first going to rip it apart then you will not be able to fold it back.

Next thing I think it might be lacking a little in quality. The battery cover was either misaligned from the get-go or I deformed it by incorrectly putting the wrist loop in (because i destroyed my manual by accident). In most of the things that have wrist loops you loop the loop through itself to stay but here there is a hook that you have to catch it on, otherwise you will not be able to close the cover. I've only noticed the misalignment on the battery cover so it might be might fault.



So to summarize it is a solid little device, that does what is supposed to and does it well. If you need a presentation remote then I would certainly recommend it. Philips SNP6000/27 Professional Presenter

I removed the label re: "laser hazard" from the back and tried using GooGone to remove the adhesive. GooGone stripped the finish off the case, and I threw the product away due to its disgusting appearance. Well designed in other respects. - Wireless Presenter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information