Saturday 11 June 2011

Logitech Quickcam - hd webcam, skype


Review update-- 9/11/10



During my original review, I rated the camera with regards to Skype use. I'm elated to learn from a Logitech forum post that this camera will be supporting Skype HQ with release of Skype 5.0! Because of this great news, I have revamped my review to better reflect the camera's use with 5.0, which I have been testing in beta.



The positives:



Camera & software install is easy

Camera Size is small

Design is attractive

Logitech HD video chat software is a nice option for those who aren't big into Skype or other big name branded chat programs.

It does great in low light situations and with dual mics seems overall very capable of capturing small sounds

Even in HD, this cam doesn't seem to drag on my system resources and make the PC slow like the Microsoft LifeCam Cinema



Negatives:



Not yet Skype HQ compliant, but will be soon with the release of Skype 5.0!

The USB cable is about 1 foot shorter than the cable on the Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 / QuickCam Pro 9000

The clip doesn't fit on my monitor as well as the Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 / QuickCam Pro 9000 or the Microsoft LifeCam Cinema



Now that this cam is slated to be Skype HQ compliant, I can say this is my preferred & recommended camera. Once I get the full release of 5.0 (non-beta) I'll update the review with my thoughts. Logitech 1080p Webcam Pro C910

I have been using the previous model Quickcam Pro 9000 for around a year, and I decided to pass that on to someone and buy this new model for myself.

The quality of the picture, sound, and the Logitech software is simply excellent (I use Windows 7). The Camera definition/detail is simply stunning, even in low light. I love the performance.

So, why only 4 stars you may think?

Well, when i first saw the C910, I liked the fact that is was considerably more compact than the Pro 9000. I travel quite a lot, and liked the idea of slightly smaller cam. I was disappointed there is no carrying case to protect the cam when in my computer bag with my ac adaptor, phone-charger and other accessories.

However, one drawback I have discovered is that the smaller size and slightly differences in shape of the "foot" means that the C910 is a little "wobbly" when perched on top of the screen of my laptop, whereas the Pro-9000 was absolutely solid. The "grip" system of the C910 is based on the same principle as that of the Pro9000, ie it is a friction grip, and not a "spring clip" or an actual clamp. I think if the foot was about a cm longer (still smaller than the Pro 9000) it might be more stable, or possibly the Pro9000 is more stable simply because it is heavier. This is not a problem on my desktop monitor, or if my laptop is on the desk, rather then actually on my lap. On my lap, or on a train, the cam can wobble a bit with any movement of the laptop.

To summarise:

PRO:

-superb cam performance, both sound and picture

- simple and robust software installation, no conflicts or problems found with Windows 7.

- reasonably compact size

CON:

- does not sit stable on laptop display

- no carrying case to protect it in my computer bag.



However, I still highly recommend Logitech, and this model in particular. I like it.



POSTSCRIPT: I have improved the stability of the cam on my laptop, I have taken a blob of blu-tak about 1/2 the size of a golf-ball and added it just above the hinge simply to increase the weight of the cam. It is now perfectly stable while i use the laptop and cam on my lap. I did not want to use the blutack to "stick" the cam to the laptop. I will figure out a more aesthetically pleasing solution for the long-term now I know a slight increase in weight will do what I want.



UPDATE 9/2010: I replaced the blu-tak with a couple of balance weights (self adhesive) from a ceiling fan kit, and wheel-balancing kit - simply because they were what I had to hand. I have uploaded photos to the product page.

I put 2x5gm weights just above the hinge-joint. Then later added a single 5gm weight at the very end of the arm. If I was doing it again from scratch, i would install a 5gm weight at the end of the arm - and check if it was enough. Then perhaps add a 5gm weight just above the hinge joint. My feeling is that the lower of the two weights contributes the most. I bought a strip of wheel balance weights off ebay-UK for about £3.00 ($4.50), so the modification is not too onerous or expensive.

Hello I purchased the camera to use with Skype mainly. Yes on a Mac there is no Logitech software whatsoever so its plug and play.



I'm thrilled. In little more than the monitor's lighting the image was good, with more lighting it was as good as it is on a still with a 7.1mp camera. I swooshed about and the image didn't blur sickeningly. The Follow your Head feature, well you don't get that or any other manually selectable attribute because of the no-software punishment we mac-ies are still enduring in this day and age. If Logitech doesn't care to give us software I'm perfectly happy with some other creator doing so.



Mic functions even when you are not using the imaging element under USB Unknown Audio Input and in some software it self selected. It isn't good enough for intense talking-to- software like Rosetta Stone which is listening for pitch and precise pronunciation. Maybe if you hold it close to your mouth it would work well enough even for that application but you don't want to be holding a camera as you'll smudge and eventually scratch the lens by handling it. If you can find a way to mount closer to your face but keep your hands off it, then you can solve that little problem as well.



I used it as a true video movie maker using Quicktime Pro 7. Just chose NEW MOVIE, let the software configure the BEST settings and clicked RECORD! 19 SECONDS IS 2.6mb and the file I created opens and plays as it should in every mov file player I have.



note: In Quicktime v10 you have to choose the HIGH setting. Camera doesn't function at all in the MAXIMUM setting.



What you can't do with this camera is use it stealthily as a security cam as it emits a lovely BLUE GLOW in the shape of a PARENTHESIS framing the lens. The blue band you see in the ad literature is a LIGHT and I don't think they make that very clear in any documentation. I thought it was just a painted stripe. When it lit up I was surprised! In the dark a thief would see that glow from across any room.



What takes a bit of getting used to (and I'd guess that is with any camera) is that you have to turn left when you mean right and right when you want to move left or to refer to that side of your body or the image and your things behind you.



My Mac Mini is running 10.6.4 - Webcam - 1080p - Hd Webcam - Skype'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


webcam Logitech Quickcam - hd webcam, skype