Wednesday 29 June 2011

Reconditioned Tools - combo packs, air compressor


I purchased this reconditioned unit for a home workshop because it seemed like a good deal and was supposed to have been returned to new like condition by the manufacturer.



I recieved the compressor with three guns, brad, finish, and stapler.The brad and finish nailer fired once and jammed. (yes I used the correct nails and brads for each gun). The problem was that the internal driver pin that drives the nail or brad froze and could not be unjammed to allow more that one nailing at a time.



I contact Bostich and was refferred to a local tool repair company who refused to service the guns. I ended up sending the whole thing back to Amazon for a refund.



The only good thing about the purchase was that Amazon was prompt in giving the refund and din't charge return shipping.



The Bostich seemed like a good deal but was nothing but a hassle and I'm still looking for a good brad and finish nailer combo kit for my Home workshop. Factory-Reconditioned Bostitch U/CPACK300 3-Tool and Compressor Combo Kit

Overall, this is a nice product for the money.

It has some scraches but is almost new.

Compressor holds about 140 psi (advertised as 150 psi ) and works well with three guns provided.



Cons:

Shipping package was very poor.

No foam cushions for compressor and guns.

No accessories are provided (no oils and no sample nails)

I received the package today and it was damaged beyond repair which was evident as soon as I opened the box. The plastic handle was broken, the case on the compressor was broken, and there was absolutely no packing around the compressor or any of the tools to keep them from being broken. I have Grandkids who could have done a better job of packing. Now I have to wait to have it picked up and hope the replacement is OK. Its not the shippers fault as the packing was not done right.

Update- I received a replacement yesterday and it worked perfectly. The item is a really good buy, I just can't understand why it's not packaged so it won't be damaged in shipment. The nail guns had 1,000 fasteners with each of them, and they all worked fine as did the compressor itself. This is a good buy if you are willing to take a chance on getting it shipped without damage. Otherwise, spend a little extra and buy direct from the factory or local retailer. I already have a couple of projects planned where I'll really put it to the test.

Upon receiving my compressor I was relieved to see that it was well packed and the box was in great condition. When I went to try it out for the first time, I flipped the switch and was surprised that it did not turn on. I then looked at the pressure gauge and realized it was shipped it to me fully pressurized at 140 PSI. When I drained the pressure out of the tank about 1/3 of a cup of rusty water came out along with the air. I then pressurized the tank again and adjusted the pressure regulator valve to allow air to flow and noticed there was a hissing leak around the pressure regulator gauge. To fix this I had to remove the plastic cover, remove the gauge, put Teflon tape around the threads (there was none), then put everything back together. I fired it up one more time, adjusted the regulator gauge, and plugged in the supplied hose. Once again I hear a hissing sound! This time it was coming from the hose. There was a small puncture hole in the center of the hose. I threw away the supplied hose replaced it with one I had laying around and now FINALLY I have a functioning air compressor.

I was a little surprised when I opened the package; the tank was obviously used- it has paint overspray on the tank and the feet were dragged across concrete numerous times. On the plus side I received a brand new bag, a brand new hose, three brand new guns and a box of nails/staples for each gun. The compressor and guns work excellent and like new; a good product at a substantial discount over new. Very happy with this reconditioned product..

Packaging is not a strong point. Tool bag had a hole in it from rubbing against other contents in transit. Amazon has graciously offered me an acceptable adjustment for this defect. All other items were intact; oil and nails were included; appearance was very nice. Then I tried to start the compressor. NO GO.



Called the 800 number in the instructions, spoke with a very nice lady who gave me the location of their nearest repair facility, unfortunately thirty miles away. I called there, spoke with two very friendly people, and will be taking it there tomorrow. (2-2-10) I was told it should be a simple repair. If this is true, I will be very happy with this purchase and may change this review. I really don't want to return everything. Testing at the factory and packaging should be improved but value seems outstanding.



Update 2/15/10

Dropped off as planned on Feb 2. Was told it should be ready Feb 5 and I would be contacted. No call. Waited until 1:00 PM Feb 12 to call them; was passed around to three people, put on hold twice, and finally told it hadn't been looked at yet, but since I had called, it would be "moved to the front".



At about 2:00 PM I was left a message that it was ready to be picked up. Amazing that it took almost two weeks to do a five minute repair that would not have been necessary if they had started it at the factory; a repair that cost me four hours and 130 miles ($70.00+ at IRS rates)



Pros - Good price - adequate product - good Bostitch customer service

Cons - Bad quality control - Bad packaging - Pathetic repair center - purchase savings wasted on repairs



Extremely poor repair service has caused this low rating. The product seems fine if you live near a reliable repair center.

Add me to the list of people questioning the packaging procedures.



It arrived on my door stop and the box looked to be in good condition. there was a tear in the corrugated opening of the box were you would pick it up, but no obvious signs of distress. I had read about shipping damage, so I immediately opened and inspected the goods. the items were just placed in the box, loose. The tank Looked good. No scratches or dents as I pulled it out. One of the small screws on the handle had been torqued down too hard and had cracked the plastic housing on the handle. Maybe this is why it is reconditioned? The bag was next to the tank and it had the guns in it. they appear to be in excellent shape. and there were staples in the bag for each gun. Paper work for the tank and the guns were also included. No oil was included. Not a big deal since there were no instructions on what to do with it!



With everything out of the box, I checked the box once more for leftovers. that's when I saw the plastic handle and the 5" bolt. I traced the bolt to the plastic housing. Again, it looks to be stripped out when it was put together. The handle was what was left of the drain cock on the bottom of the tank. It had snapped off in shipping. Dang it! What a hassle for such stupid stuff. I can open it with pliers. maybe I can purchase a replacement handle. I want to use this thing, not waste a few weeks returning it and hoping for better luck.



The tank and the guns work well. I tested each to make sure before I decide what to do about the damage. The hose is pretty cheap, but it works. I ordered the Good Year replacement hose with the tank, but it hasn't arrived yet. For an additional [...], it's a deal. I got a solid 150 psi in the tank when I turned it on and the guns work great. Despite my shipping issues, I still feel this is a great deal.



About the shipping time, it was excellent. I ordered Sunday evening and was notified that it was shipped Tuesday evening and it was on my doorstep Wednesday morning. This was with the free shipping! Excellent service, though they did not ship the hose yet. I'm happy they split shipped to to get it here faster.



Just be aware that there is a chance for shipping damage. The items are just placed loose in a box. I know and appreciate that Amazon wants to reduce excess packaging, but a piece of styrofoam on the bottom of the box would have saved a lot more natural resources when you take into consideration of freight costs on the return and a new shipment. Green is great, but common sense is king! - Air Compressor - Nail Gun - Air Compressors - Combo Packs'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Reconditioned Tools - combo packs, air compressor nail gun Reconditioned Tools - combo packs, air compressor