Thursday 19 May 2011

Labeling - brother, label


I borrowed a friend's Brother PT-1880, and then had to run out and get my own! Was thrilled to find it here on AZ for about half the going rate at brick & mortar shops. Not the flashiest model out there (and doesn't hook up to the computer), but I just didn't think the extra features were worth the mark-up for my needs. This one prints in two fonts plus various styles & sizes, includes a good number of symbols and frames, and is small and light enough to tote around to every room of the house - like I did. At one point I was standing enthralled in the center of my kitchen, just spinning around in rapture asking myself, "what ELSE needs a label on it?!" :-) So far the labels have worked in every application I could think of: from my cell phone charger to the shelves in the linen closet. I also labeled my toddler's sippy cups, and have been very pleased to discover that the labels will survive several rounds in the dishwasher while staying in perfect condition. Very pleased to have this tool always at the ready.



(As to others' comments about wasting too much tape in the leader white space before/after labels, there is a setting under "Margin" that will correct this. Change the margin from "normal" to either "narrow" or "chain print." Very little tape wasted that way, and it also prints centering dots so your text stays in the center.) Brother PT-1880 Advanced Deluxe Labeler for Home & Office

Unlike other Brother models I've used, this one insists on wasting a full inch of leader on every label (and the same on a trailer, unless you override that). Even if you adjust the trailer length, it still puts the wasted leader on the front, then adds dots to tell you where to MANUALLY cut off the excess. NOT an acceptable solution.

What's worse, there's no way to know this before you start to use it - even the instructions don't directly state it, but only talk around the subject, so you waste a lot of labels trying to adjust the leader before figuring it out.

We use label makers at work, and this is more or less an inexpensive version of those. This one has fewer fonts and print options that the more expensive models, but prints simple labels with pretty much the exact same quality. This does not come with a power supply, so you need to buy that separate (model AD-24 for about 27 bucks), or use batteries.

Have debated getting one of these for years, and after checking reviews on Amazon, decided on this one. Easy to use and set up (especially since my last labelling experience was on the old squeeze to imprint letters plastic tape!).



The PT-1880 has: 2 fonts, 9 type styles, 6 type sizes, 3 type widths, 5 tape widths (9/64"-3/4" of TZ tape), plus underlining and boxing the text. The mandatory 1" lead is a bit frustrating, but unavoidable; you can only make the margin smaller on one side.



From the Brother site:

The one inch (25mm) piece of tape that is produced prior to every label cannot be eliminated due to the construction of the tape mechanism. However, when you print more than one label continuously, the subsequent labels can be printed without the excess tape.



The following methods are useful for reducing tape use:



- Using the "Numbering function" - please refer to "How to use Numbering function"



- Setting the tape margin to "Chain Print" - please make sure that you press the feed button after the last label is printed, otherwise a part of the text may be cut off.

This is a very good value for the money. I was looking for a Brother label maker that used TZ tapes and found this one. I don't think there is anything else out there in the same price range with comparable features. So far this thing is working as advertised, no issues.

This is not a user-friendly machine. We have to keep the instructions on hand all the time. No one in my office knows how to use it, and it wastes one inch of tape per label. I've got a busy office of day traders and they're standing around with scissors like kindergarten children cutting these labels down to fit their files. Its a waste of time, not to mention the over-priced label tape.



I have a Brother PT-65 at home which I love, its so user friendly I don't think I have picked up the instructions once. The labels cost 1/2 the price and it doesn't waste as much. I recommend that one instead.

I'm not even going to bother talking about the features on this thing. The fact that Brother has the nerve to sell a unit without including the proprietary AC adaptor is bad enough in itself to warrant 1 star. Buyer beware: you buy this, you'll spend on batteries what you saved on the label maker.

On the 5th time using the machine, the tape got stuck real bad inside the machine. There was no way for us to get it out without damaging the unit. Since the machine was still under warranty, I called customer service and requested a replacement. Do you know what they said: the machine was NOT malfunction! I told him I would spend shipping money to send the machine to him and at that time he could let me know if it is malfunction or not - otherwise, who would spend specious 45 minutes on the phone with a hard-head representative so he could tell you that the machine is not malfunction!

I even requested to talk to the manager which he refused (?!) to put her on the phone, I think he said her name is Susie or Susan, something like that, and that she will call me - which I am still waiting for her phone call and it has been 3 weeks already. When will you call me, Susie?

There, you have my story: the machine was used 5 times, tape got jammed badly inside the roller, customer service refused to replace the machine EVEN THOUGH IT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY PERIOD AND I STILL HAVE THE RECEIPT.

What do you think? Would you buy it? I recommend not! Do not waste your money, and your time later on (believe me) and then you will end up buy another labeler any way.

P.S. I even sent a complain letter to the Operating Manager of Brother company and guess what: they do not give a Dxxx!!! - Label - P-touch - Brother - Labeler'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information