Thursday 19 May 2011

Bluetooth Headset


This is my first BT headset ever. At $26.88 at the Wal, it seemed a wortwhile risk. I think I am going to keep it. I have nothing to compare it to though. Getting it working with my LG VX-8300 was a snap. It was still going strong after 3 hours (it is rated for 6).



It is light and comfortable. At least for me, the fit and comfort are pretty surprising, warranting a 3 instead of a 2 rating. Audio quality is acceptable. At first I did not think so, but it seems to have worked out after a bit of use (why, I do not know). I would not call it consistent at this time.



It has only been a couple of days however. The volume control seems to do nothing, but it is just (barely) loud enough to be usable without being too loud. It is easier to adjust the volume by repositioning it. The ear audio port is not held in place by your outer ear... somethihng that I hate about earbuds like those for MP3 players.



The people I have called to test it generally judge it to be okay, but not nearly as good as talking direct into the cell phone (which is inherently barely acceptable to start with). Echoing in my short evaluation has been noticed only one time. When driving, noise interior to the car due to AC and other factors does interfere slightly with the called person being able to hear clearly.



The interface has proved to be simple to understand and I can do voice command dialing making it essentially hands-free after the initial 2-second multi-function button press. I can walk 20 feet away from my cell phone before offensive amounts of static are heard.



This is my first ever BT device and I must say that the technology is welcome. I used to use $0.99 wired headsets that could (barely) get the job done... but at least I could say... "I'll pull over and call you back".



If you have a BT capable cell phone, and your are generally using the headset to be hands-free so you can pull over while in your car, crack a bottle of wine or cut veggies at home while your making dinner, this product may be for you.



It won't offer stellar performance... but it is shy of being a disappointment. If you want to use it for other purposes, get a unit with more controls and multiple pairing options. As an introductory set, my initial impressions are that this choice is no mistake. Plantronics Explorer 220 Bluetooth Headset (Black)

I purchased this through Verizon Wireless, thanks to several giftcards and a corporate discount. Now, I paid about $13 for this, but am rating this based on paying about $30, as most people will pay around $30.



Fit - It fits well enough. The "over the ear" clip isn't uncomfortable to me at all. Even with sunglasses on, though this may hinder other people. As for the earbud itself, it fits me well enough. It doesn't fit as snugly as an iPod earbud, but it seems to do it's job.



Look - I think it's a pretty good looking headset. Some of the headsets out there look pretty strange but work extremely well (jawbone). this particular one doesn't look cheap to others, nor does it handle cheaply, and seems well made.



Volume Control/Incoming sound - The toggle switch is a bit frustrating. I attempted to turn the volume up when talking to my mother, and hung up on her. The volume, in my opinion, should be able to go a little higher than it's capable of. Instead, I have to occassionally adjust the fit in my ear to make it seem louder.



Pairing - Pairing this with my new LG enV was a snap. You turn the headset on, set the phone to pairing mode, enter the access code, and you're all set.



Outgoing sound - The people I've spoken to say I sound just fine. While the "noise reduction" could be a little better on this phone, it does pretty well for the price you pay. If you want better noise reduction (using it while on a Subway for instance), you'd be better off paying the extra money for the Jawbone. If you're driving in a car with the windows up, this phone should do you well enough.



Overall - I must say, this is a fine bluetooth headset, if you're getting it for $35 or less. If you can't get it for less, I'd suggest a different headset. Noisier environments (construction yards, subways, busy city streets) won't serve this headset well. This works fine for everyday use in a normal environment (grocery store, car, office work).

Plantronics is very comparable, if not better, than Jabra headsets. This particular model (220) is very lightweight, comfortable, and discreet. So small and inconspicuous, I can wear it w/o anyone seeing it beneath my hair. I purchased this earpiece in order to have my hands free to take notes when working via phone with my co-workers, as well as talking while driving (although, I find that difficult w/ or w/o a headset). I bought this headset at a local electronics store and their warranty is, 30 days if I wish to return it. So far, I see no reason to return it. Their more expensive model supposedly muffles any extraneous noises, etc., but it is about $40 more than this model.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information