Sunday 8 May 2011

Dremel 400 Xpr Rotary Tool - mototool


The tool does have a lot of uses and is definitely versatile. But, what other people have remarked holds very true:

- a first time owner would have probably liked to have some instructions explaining what everything in the kit does and how it is used. Having to search online to figure out which one is supposed to be the #401 mandrel is lame;

- the tool feels in your hand as if Dremel outsourced the design and manufacturing to Fisher-Price;

- overheating seems to be a problem - a short session sharpening my lawnmower blade made the motor scary-hot (it hasn't burned out yet, but it feels like it's heading in the general direction);

- some attachments are supposed to be limited up to a certain rpm - but in this latest and greatest version of its mainstay tool, Dremel marks the speed selector from 0 to 10. Hard to know what number is supposed to be 15k rpm, the max speed advised by some attachments.



I fell into the trap of "newer must be better", even though the 300 series felt so much better in my hand when I visited the home improvement store... Dremel 400-1/6 120-Volt XPR Rotary Tool

I have owned this Model 400 for about 2 years and have put it through it's paces. I have used it mostly for deburring, polishing and metal cutting. For these uses it functioned great but I did notice that the motor often got very hot. In fact, it got too hot to touch on some occasions.



I noted smoke coming from the casing during several uses. The tool finally, abruptly, burned out.



One problem I have noted is the design of the case causes the user to cover the front air slots with his hand while in use. This certainly adds to the over heating issues.



I was going to replace my Dremel today but discovered I could only by the model 400 in a set which is how it originally came to me and I do not need another planner, sharpening guide or many of the other things in the $99 kit. The tool alone retails for $80 so I guess I will end up buying the kit again and selling the junk I will never use on Flea-Bay.

In the US, Dremel is synonymous with rotary tools, which is unfortunate; they don't make any good tools. For about the same money you can get a Proxxon. I have used both the Dremel 400XPR and Proxxon FBS 115/E (my work purchased the Dremel, I brought my own Proxxon). The Dremel vibrates and is loud. It uses an old-fashioned brushed motor. Carbon brushes actually last a long time, so I wouldn't knock it for that, but they are very loud and smell of ozone. The Proxxon is smooth and quiet. It uses a brushless motor. Why would anyone in their right mind put anything but a brushless motor in a hand-held rotary tool? The Dremel claims to have higher power and faster RPM, but I'm afraid to use the Dremel turned up to max RPM. The vibration makes my hand numb even at half speed. The Dremel uses collets to hold tool bits. It uses cheap, soft collets that bind and get stuck on the tool bit. You can completely unscrew the collet from the shaft and the bit will stay stuck in the collet teeth. If you gently tap down on the end of the bit it will loosen from the collet. Proxxons do not have this problem. They use a compact, keyless chuck. You can buy a chuck for the Dremel as an extra accessory.



I could go on, but I think I made my point: I hate Dremel. I wish they were not the default brand that most people think of when they need a rotary tool. I'm sure there are other rotary tools beside the Proxxon which are also better than a Dremel. I just happen to own and like Proxxon.

I'm on my 4th Dremel 400 after the first three burned their motors out during light to medium use. The first one only lasted 2 days and 'died' while carving a cow bone pendant - hardly what I would consider a demanding task. Subsequent replacements have ended up the same way, despite my taking great care not to obstruct the cooling vents with my hand. The problem seems to be exacerbated by using the flex-shaft attachment (extra load plus you can't feel the unit overheating).

One minute you're happily working away, the next you smell the acrid stench of burning plastic and look down to see smoke pouring from the unit.



Since I only use these for hobby/jewelry work, I am very disappointed and frustrated with constant returns and the loss of use that follows. Upon an investigation, it seems many have suffered the same problems and written about them on various online forums.



Since the 3rd one burned out, I have given up on Dremel, which is a shame since I have used them for 15 years and it only seems the more recent models that lack the quality I once enjoyed.



I received a Proxxon IB/E today and have just taken it out the box and tried it out. I will write a review on it after a few weeks but it seems to be much better made and runs very smoothly - also, the collets are steel and thicker walled. So far it looks good! - Mototool'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Dremel 400 Xpr Rotary Tool - mototool mototool Dremel 400 Xpr Rotary Tool - mototool