Sunday 29 May 2011

Christmas Gift - annoying, cell phone


When I purchased this product, I read all the reviews on Amazon first but neglected to do a little checking on who wrote them. Amazingly, the glowing reviews came from people who reviewed just one product - this one. And the same exact reviews (word for word) were on both pages for the white and black Zomm products. Not that I think anyone plants reviews on Amazon to sell products...but it does make one wonder.



Although at first it sounds like a wonderful idea (good enough for me to buy 2 Zomms), the Zomm suffers from one fatal problem (for most people) - it is really just a Bluetooth headset with a disconnect alarm. It's not really a "Wireless Leash" as the advertising says, just another headset. And what does that mean? First and foremost, it means that when you install and select the Zomm it automatically de-selects and replaces any REAL Bluetooth headsets on your phone. If you currently use a wireless Bluetooth headset (I live on my headset), you CANNOT use it when the Zomm is selected. If you de-select the Zomm to use your headset, then the alarm goes off! You are forced to use the handset or the "speakerphone" option of the Zomm. My Plantronics headset is now useless.



And when you start your car (if you use a built-in hands-free system), either the Zomm gets disconnected by the car (and then the alarm goes off!) or your hands-free system is now useless. Which means that, if you keep the Zomm selected in the car (in order to silence the alarm), you must then use the Zomm speakerphone option to make calls (making a non hand-free call is illegal in my state). And without the noise-canceling built into my automotive hands-free system, all the road noises interfere with the call and essentially my phone is useless.



So, if you normally use a Bluetooth headset or a hands-free system in your car, this is NOT the product for you.



Interestingly, none of the reviews on Amazon even mentioned this problem. Neither did the Zomm website or the enclosed instruction manual. So much for honest advertising.



(And yes, this is my first Amazon review. Why did I write this review? Generally I am happy with my Amazon purchases and I am usually technically savvy enough to know what I am buying. But with absolutely NO disclosure of this basic weakness, I stupidly spent $150 for 2 of these devices and spent an evening trying to make them work. Tricking people into buying your product by hiding important details is just plain wrong. I don't want anyone else making the same costly mistake I did. And yes, I will be returning the 2 Zomms I bought on Amazon.) ZOMM Wireless Leash, Bluetooth Speakerphone, and Personal Safety Device for Mobile Phones (Black)

I received ZOMM from a friend and initially liked it based on the ability to tell me that I had left my phone behind (which I do very often). There are a ton of other features built in to the product that are very useful. Luckily, I haven't had to use the panic alarm/emergency calling function (but am glad to know it's there). What I do love to use is the speakerphone. My phone always seem to be at the bottom of my purse, out of reach when it rings. ZOMM will pick up the call for me and I can talk right into the device - it is really clear. ZOMM is a great little product!

My Zomm was bought for a self birthday present. The feature of buzzing when I have a call is useful if I was in a loud room, but I felt the Zomm distance to cell phone when it alarmed that the phone was out of range could be a lot longer distance. I should be able to go to the basement with the phone in my pocket without the alarm setting off. But yet, that alarm is loud enough to definitely remind me my cell is awol.

I selected the white zomm because it fits my style. I like being able to have an electronic device that isn't overly masculine (I'm a woman). The thing about this electronic key chain that I like most is the fact that it is a panic alarm, which can startle any potential oncoming bad guys, AND especially that it'll call an emergency number that I've set! No matter where I am, when by myself (and being smart about my surroundings) I can be confident that I can call someone for help if needed just by pressing a button for a few seconds.

I am usually aware of where my iPhone is at all times; however do sometimes misplace my keys and so it is cool that I can disconnect the wireless leash bluetooth connection from my phone and the zomm will ring out wherever it is! So, that's kinda neat too. I don't use the speakerphone much, but think it's great that I can use it if I need to. Also, I've heard some buzz about an Android App (per their blog) coming out soon and am super excited about the ability to customize my zomm's settings from my phone...really hope that comes out sooner than later!! :-)

The battery needs charging about every 4 days or so, which isn't bad because I can charge it while at work during the day when I know I'm safe and have my phone nearby. Great device! Thanks Amazon for providing your customers with new tech stuff!

Im pretty amazed by this device. I don't leave my phone behind anymore as the annoying alarm has trained me to keep it close. I went to zomms website and did the download and turned the phone alarm thing to vibrate only because I feel like a month of using it every day really helped me keep my iphone close. But I still keep it on my keychain and I use it all the time when Im driving to talk with people.



I dont care what anyone else is saying, I love this little thing. since I charge my iphone every night i just plug my KEYS in next to my phone and it's always powered up. really good!!!

Not only is it a great gift for him, but quite honestly, if he's away from his cell phone, he doesn't hear it ring and consequently, I nor others can reach him. I always think what happens in an emergency and his cell phone is not on/with him. So everybody wins:)

It was the best gift I ever got him

Highly recommend! - Joke - Awesome - Cell Phone - Annoying'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Christmas Gift - annoying, cell phone joke Christmas Gift - annoying, cell phone