Friday 29 April 2011

Portable Laptop Stand - ipad accessories, blueproton


I've been looking at various iPad stands for a while now - it seems you can either get a case+stand combo or a plain stand - I just wanted the stand as I don't need another case. Most of the cases are pretty "iffy" looking - Some are transparent plastics that you "lock" into place, some are non-adjustable aluminum, some are ones I wouldn't dare put the iPad in as they just seem like they would scratch the iPad like crazy.



The A-Frame is the nicest I've seen, and seems to be the most versatile. It holds the iPad in Landscape or Portrait mode AND allows you to plug in your USB cable (the bottom of the A-Frame doesn't block access to the USB port).



The A-Frame is a very solid metal - about 1/3rd inch thick - with rubber coatings on the base, where the iPad sits and in the back (where the top of the iPad rests). This is great as they hold the iPad in place, protect it and keep the feet from sliding (even while typing or clicking on the iPad, it stays very still).



The A-Frame folds up, but is still pretty thick (and about the size of the iPad). I wanted this for home use as well as use on-the-go, and the size of it makes it a bit odd to carry around (you also don't want to put the ipad and stand together in a bag as I can easily see the stand scratching it. The edges are somewhat sharp - apparently they were recalled (according to the apple stores) because of this (I don't think anyone would really have a problem with it though - it's not THAT sharp). The weight is the bigger issue - it feels about the same weight as the iPad.



This is for use on a solid-surface only. If you want to use it on something like a bed, it won't work.



Also note that it only has 2 positions - standing up (like the picture) or collapsed (which is nice as it angles the ipad to make it a bit easier for typing). Unfortunately you can't use any positions besides these two (so if you need a certain angle.. you can't do it)



Overall, a great stand. Why not 5 stars?



* The GRIFFIN logo - is this really needed in big bold letters on the front? I know they want to brand the stand, but it really detracts from the sleek look of it.

* The weight/size - about the same as an iPad.

* Unable to do "custom" angles.



Like it so much that I have 2 of them! Griffin A-Frame Tabletop Stand for iPad

I looked carefully at the available offerings and settled on the Griffin A-pad. Its sturdy industrial design was an attraction and proved to be even better when it arrived. Yes, it is limited to two positions, but both are useful for my purposes.... I keep the pad in the more upright position (adjacent to my laptop) during the day, and when typing adjust it to the lower elevation. Two additional points need clarification for potential purchasers... the first is that the stand can be used even while my iPad remains inside the black Apple case which accompanied my initial purchase... all connectors are accessible and it fits in place easily and securely. Other stands appear to work only when the iPad is removed from its protective case. Secondly, the Griffin A-frame folds flat and is easily carried inside my travel bag.... it fits securely and snugly away, but is easily folded out for use on an airplane or in my hotel room. I ordered through Amazon and selected their vendor 24-Hour Dispatch. The service was great... just as promised. An initial email arrived to say shipping would take up to 21 days, but it arrived 3 three days later. I highly recommend the Griffin A-Pad... it works as promised and is a great industrial component for my work area and travel kit.

Of course if the other reviewers like the A-Frame Stand so much - great - I am happy for them. For me, I thought the stand unfriendly - sharp edges - I cringed when my iPad scraped against the stand's sharp edges, It folds like scissors - heavy - stronger than it needs to be. What I preferred is Griffins Loop. I do not see The Loop for sale at Amazon - it is offered in an actual Apple Store - and their website. The Loop is solid, with rubberized soft edges - more stable - nicer to look at - just my opinion.

Thanks.

I just received the Griffin A-Frame iPad stand the other day and I must say it is perfect. I wasn't sure that I wanted to pay $49 for a stand. I had read many good reviews on it before purchasing but you don't know until you actually see it. When it came and I actually held it in my hands I was truly impressed. It is well constructed, very strong and works in portrait, landscape as well as flat on a table or desk. When it is lying flat on a desk or your lap it actually has a wrist rest that makes it easy to type on. You can sync or charge the iPad while in the stand because there is a space for the cable as well as one for the speaker. The stand is very stable and you don't have to worry about it tipping over with your very expensive iPad on it. It is well worth the original $49 price. I recommend anyone with an iPad buy this stand you will be glad that you did. - Griffin - Blueproton - Ipad Accessories - Ipad'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information