Tuesday 19 April 2011

Griffin Technology - chargers, iphone car charger


Unlike some "iPad Chargers" which are actually iPhone and iPod chargers, this one has the amps needed (2.1 amps) to recharge your iPad. It also has a separate cable with a USB connection, so the charger can be used for other devices such as mp3, phones, etc. Griffin Technology PowerJolt 2.1 amp Power Charger for iPad, iPhone and iPod (Black)

Works as advertised.

Can charge an iPad as it's being used, not just while in sleep mode.

Watch out for a similar named product by Griffin (it doesn't work), and look specifically for the 2.1 amps.

That's very important if you want to charge the iPad in the car.

I gave it three stars, because I'm not sure how to rate this item. I bought this from Amazon, opened it, and threw it in the car. I really just wanted it for those just-in-case moments, as I'm pretty good about keeping my phone charged at home. But, I tried it out a couple of weeks after I purchased it. In the 30 minutes that I used it to charge my iPhone 4, the iPhone got very hot. I mean, uncomfortably hot. Just to make sure, I charged it with the normal "sugar cube" charger that came with it, and also charged it using my laptop. In both cases, my iPhone didn't get much warmer than when you just leave it in your pocket and your body heats it up. Something was clearly wrong.



I called up Apple and explained the problem to them. I pointed out that the sugar cube charger was rated at 1 amp, but this Griffin charger was rated at 2.1 amps. Was it charging the phone a lot faster, and hence, generating more heat? They said that some chargers are designed to charge iPads, and maybe I should avoid those. In any case, they suggested that I discontinue using this particular charger.



Amazon was very gracious, and told me they would accept the return even though I had already thrown out the original packaging.



I'm giving it three stars, because clearly it works for other folks, just not me.



One other thing to note. In broad daylight, you cannot really see the green glow when this device is enabled--I was only able to see it in the garage. That's probably a good thing, otherwise the light from it might overwhelm your eyes when driving at night.

There are a number of reviews for this charger that say things like "works great." And those reviewers are right, it does work great. However, the central question ought to be "why do I need this product?" I have a car-full of chargers for my iPhone and iPods. They all work great-for charging iPods and iPhones (at least up to the iPhone 3GS which is what I still have due to the upgrade prices ATT charges one of its good customers). What those chargers don't do is charge my Apple iPad Tablet (64GB, Wifi + 3G).



The iPad has an amazing battery life. And it has some pretty interesting applications for traveling, games for the kids (or your bored wife), navigation and GPS programs with turn by turn, contact managers, Google Earth, et cetera. The likelihood that you or someone in the car will want to use your iPad when traveling is high. So an iPad charger is a necessity. The "old" chargers do not deliver enough wattage to recharge your iPad, something I found out when after a long flight watching a movie from Florida to Newark and a drive through Tony Soprano country with the Navigon GPS directing me and Jimmy Buffett cranking out in the background, I suddenly found I had no where near enough power to watch a second movie on the way home at the end of a thirteen hour day. The charger I thoughtfully brought from home was not charging, as my iPad cheerfully noted in the small print on top of the screen.



So this is the solution-an iPad charger that incidentally "works great."

Bought this to charge iPhone and iPad in car. Many generic chargers don't have enough current to charge newer iPhones or iPads. This one does have enough power to charge. When you plug the cord in, you get the "This accessory is not compatible with your iOS device" message, but if you dismiss it it charges fine. Problem is, when cord is plugged in, you can't listen to music through the headphones. The audio out defaults to the power cord, and there is no way I've found to change it. So I have to charge the device, then unplug it from charger and plug it into stereo. Not convenient on long trips.

The cable supplied is dangerous to your iphone 4.



When you plug it into the iphone a warning of incompatibly pops up. Same warning as reported by G. Herbel "Colorado"



That's not the bad news. The bad news is what happens if you ignore the warning. Since it does charge- I ignored the warning. With the phone off it does seem to charge, even if slowly.



BUT



If using the iphone and charging at the same time (in the car), after a short while the iphone shows "no SIM CARD" and you obviously lose the network. Only a full reboot of the iphone fixes the problem. Happened twice.



I won't take a chance again of doing permanent damage to the phone.



Two stars because I have no reason to believe the charger itself is not good. Until I test a different cable, I won't know for sure. - Chargers - Car Charger - Iphone - Iphone Car Charger'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


iphone Griffin Technology - chargers, iphone car charger