Thursday 14 April 2011

Folding Knives - survival, folding knives


I've owned and traded over a hundred high-quality knives over thirty years, most often custom-make and priced today at a bare minimum of $300. But it seems that factory produced knives are making great strides, with this model as an example.



My opinion, this is an excellent combination knife and tool for its purpose. Grind and steel are excellent. Liner lock is ideal for its function. LED is amazingly tiny and functional. Grip and finish details are nice. Plastic components are good material.



I have only one ironic criticism. The stainless alloy in the blade does not provide an adequate spark from the magnesium rod. A lower grade steel sparks far better. It's not a fundamental problem, just something the owner needs to know so they can carry a short piece of hacksaw blade or some other odd piece of steel to work the firestarter. Tool Logic SLP2 Tactical Folding 1/2 Serrated Knife With LED Flashlight, Magnesium Fire Starter and Signal Whistle, Silver

For backpacking I used to bring 2 keylights, a survival knife and a magnesium bar. Now I am switching to one keylight and this SLP2 Pro only, plus one set of backup batteries. The folding knife, magnesium bar and whistle work great. The design is pretty impressive, lightweight and you can carry safely on your pocket. It's a must inside the tent at night.



I ordered first the SL3, but then I realized that for some more bucks I could have the SLP2 with integrated LED light and save some more space/weight in the backpack. I returned the SL3 to Amazon which refunded me in full except the handling fee since the product was not defective.

Bought one of these and struck the flint twice and it broke off. Returned the knife and got another, just in case it was some sort of fluke to have it break so easily. The second knife flint did the exact same thing and I knew then that I couldn't trust the quality of this item to help save my life.



Better off with a good quality knife, a Swedish Steel and a seperate whistle... Don't forget means to make a shelter and acquire water, so as to fulfill the first needs to satisfy the rule of 3s (minutes without oxygen/hours of exposure/days without water/weeks without food). Some would argue that it should be a rule of 4s, but you get the point...

This is the second one of these that I have bought, I first bought the same knife in the black finish to give to a friend. I liked it so much I bought one for myself! It is a little wider than a "normal" pocket folding knife but it has more to it than a regular knife too. The blade comes to you already sharpened, the flashlight is already good to go and the whistle is LOUD!! I haven't had any problems with the flashlight falling out, the O-Ring that keeps it in place is really tight, takes a bit of effort to push in and take out which isn't a bad thing and if it were to wear out you should be able to find a replacement without a problem. I have used the fire starter a couple of times and the sparks that come off it (if you do it right) would definitely help with lighting a fire so don't forget to pack this when you go camping! It comes in a small metal box with the foam cut out on the inside for you to store it, nice presentation if you wanted to purchase this as a gift as I originally did.



Overall, I feel that this was a good purchase. Nice knife, good presentation, great value for the money.

Blade is good quality and sharp.

Light works great.

Whistle is very loud.

Fire starter is excellent. It says to use rigid portion on back of knife to strike fire starter...

use the bottom of the blade instead....works awesome!!!

Lookin for a small compact do it all knife. This is it!

I've got this knife to attach to my PFD which I ware while Kayaking, it small, fits in all the right places, has a whistle to alert others, a strong light for signaling and fire starter. I call this knife the best "Survival Knife" a small boater, kayak-er could have. - Firestarter - Folding Knives - Knife - Survival'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information