Wednesday 2 March 2011

Digital Voice Recorders - olympus, olympus digital recorders


I just ordered this Olympus VN-8100PC digital voice recorder a few days ago and so far it has worked pretty good. I had an older digital voice recorder, but it didn't have a USB port, so I couldn't transfer files to my PC which is what I wanted, so I bought this. I've made several recordings and transferred them to my PC and they sound good, all you do is plug it into a USB port on your computer and then you can access this device just like a USB thumb drive.



I decided to go with this one because the older Olympus model VN-6200PC on Amazon has over a hundred reviews that are mostly all positive, and this one is simply an updated more advanced model with 2GB of memory instead. I checked the Olympus website and this one is very close to the 6200PC model that everybody loves, but with more features and an easier looking layout. The most important difference is the ability to record in MP3 format, the 6200PC can only record in WMA format. Also this one has 2GB of memory, so you can record for a long time, and if the memory fills up you can just transfer the files off the device to your computer.



As far as the layout of the on screen menu settings and buttons on the device, it is super easy. I didn't even read the instruction manual to figure everything out, I just played around with it for a few minutes and everything was pretty much self explanatory, it's designed so anybody can use it without having to click through a bunch of settings and crap just to get it to work.



If you buy this device, one very handy accessory to get is the Olympus TP-7 Telephone Recording Device. It sells here on Amazon for $[...] or so and has a ton of reviews all rating it very positive. I bought it with mine and it works perfectly, I recorded a phone conversation earlier today to test it out and it worked great. The main purpose of buying this digital voice recorder was really to record phone conversations using the TP7. All you do is plug the TP7 into the mic input on your digital voice recorder, and then put the ear piece into your ear and when you are on the phone talking to someone hit "record" then when you are done hit "stop" and that is it. The Olympus digital recorders only record in mono, so that means when you play back your phone conversation on your computer speakers/headphones you will only hear sound from one speaker/headphone, but that really isn't a problem or big deal since it's only a conversation you're listening too and not music.



As a side note, hopefully more people realize the VN-6200PC is an old model and do not buy it instantly just because it has a ton of good reviews. I almost did that until I went to the Olympus website and realized this 8100PC model was newer and better then the 6200PC and cost pretty much the same.



If this review helped you, leave a comment or something :) Olympus VN-8100PC Digital Voice Recorder 142600 (Silver and Black)

First bought the Sony that Amazon has at #1- it was actually not good in the fact that it picked up Iphone or other RF interference and ruined 2 of my recordings. Than I tried other Olympus recorders, and found them ok, but I really wanted stereo output and good battery life with little hissing. The Sony had A LOT of hiss in the recording. This one once you turn on the filter in playback eliminates practically all the hiss. Trust me I went through like 5 recorders before settling on this little guy. The only thing I wish it had was a way to add to a recording. Once you stop you have to record a new file, so be sure to just Pause. Probably the most amazing thing about this recorder is the battery life- While the Sony 820 ate up my batteries in one week of classes, this thing hasn't even dropped a bar out of 3!!! Very impressed. Sometimes it takes some searching, but don't buy the top two sellers when you can get this for the same price.



You won't regret it! Plus the Sony comes with NO CASE!!!! I would of liked headphones, but that is not a big deal, the case that comes with this is so needed. Sony, I'm a little disappointed that your product wasn't even close to what Olympus put out.

I bought this recorder for 2 reasons:



1: to record meetings in a room about 20x30 with all tile floors and

2: because it recorded in MP3 mode.



Ive had Olympus brand recorders in the past and they've been perfect. This is my first recorder with downloadable files. It does either MP3 or WMA files. With me owning a MAC it's MUCH easier with the MP3 files. I can download each meeting and add to my iPhone with ease and always have those meetings with me to reference. It's a great little recorder but when the speaker gets across the room it becomes hard to hear him on the recorder.



I purchased the MW52 Olympus microphone here on Amazon as well to hopefully improve he recordings. A HUGE improvement on voice pick up!!! I highly recommend this combo for any meeting setup! - Mac Compatible - Olympus Digital Recorders - Digital Voice Recorders - Olympus'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information