Saturday 26 February 2011

Thermal Compound - thermal compound, cooling


This thermal paste worked as advertised and I found it easy to apply.

The only problem was the so called mask sheet that is a total pain in the rump.

Toss the mask sheet and if you are that particular, use some good masking tape to

block it in. The masking sheet is way to sticky and is more trouble than it is worth.

Since I have not tried to remove a processor after a long period of time using this paste, I cannot say if it will actually stay pliable over a long period of time (years). From my experience, some paste/adhesives used are a total pain when trying to remove the heatsink/fan assy. Cooler Master High Performance Thermal Paste - (HTK-002-U1)

The little strip of thermal paste that came with a replacement heat sink for my laptop was garbage. The old cooling fan burned out because it was running overtime. The replacement fan was still running at top speed whenever it was on, so I ordered this. The CPU is now running substantially cooler. Before, the air coming out of the back of the laptop was just a bit warm, now that the heat is being transferred to the heat sink properly, it feels much hotter. The only problem I found was that there was no included template for laptops, so I had to make my own. Not a big deal, just a bit of a pain.

I bought this thermal paste, thinking it was the silver type. It was the same CPU paste you can buy at Radio Shack for under $4. It appears to be water based silicone compound. I do not think you'll be happy.

I bought this hoping to have a larger syringe. The capacity is normally advertised in grams, but this says 8 ounces. 8 ounces is very little paste and I needed alot of it for testing and removing heatsinks on chips. If you need alot of this stuff, get the cooler master icefusion jug for better value.

This product works to ensure good thermal conductivity between a CPU and its Heat Sink. It is a composite of various metal oxides, hence its white color. It is designed to be easily applied correctly.



What's in the package:



- Thermal Compound

- Socket Template Stickers (2: for sockets A, 370, 7 and socket 423)

- Compound Applicator/Spreader



Instructions:



Very comprehensive, given in a step by step method, easy to follow.



Properties:



- Resists changes in consistency up to 177 degrees C

- Viscosity: Non flowing

- Specific Gravity: 2.37

- Dielectric Constant: 4.4 at 100kHz

- Volume Resistivity: 5.0 x 10 to the 15 power

- Dissipation fctor: 0.02 at 100KHz

- Dielectric Strength: 550 volts/mil; 21.7 kV/mm

- Thermal Conductivity: 0.8 watts/meter



This product, because of its compositon, should not be touched, and it should be kept out of the reach of children.

The thermal paste worked extremely well, and I used it multiple times to achieve cooler CPU temperatures, and found myself reapplying it even to my friends CPU's to help them with temperature problems. I highly recommend it to anyone.

I tried this based on some of the reviews, the price and drop in temperatures mentioned. I used this termal paste to replace the dried up paste on my new video card which had an oversized heat sink. It lowered the temperature by about 2-4c. I ended up getting an after market cooler. I think that will be my solution on my next card as well, if I cannot use my current cooler or maybe try the artic silver products. - Cooling - Cooler Master - Thermal Compound'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information