Saturday 8 January 2011

Protector - case, clear


The Scosche BandEdge is a great case. I bought it knowing apple was going to offer the free bumper. I wanted to show off the iphone 4 as much as possible while keeping it well protected. This case does both! The rubber on the outside edges is very tough and provides great lay on the table design. The clear polycarbonate sandwiched between the rubber edges shows off the beautiful metal band unlike the apple bumper. There are two annoyances that I am willing to deal with but are still there. 1. The volume and sleep/awake buttons are a little difficult to press. 2. There are two tiny injection molding spots in the clear polycarbonate band on the case, however I would much rather have that than not being able to see the metal band. Scosche bandEDGE Case for iPhone 4 (Clear/Black) (Fits AT&T iPhone)

Great case, buttons are to stiff. Before you put the case on take a blunt object about the same size as the sleep button on the case and force the button down until it stretches and begins to seperate from the case. Do this a few times till the button is stretched and nice and flexible. Do the same for the volume buttons.



NO MORE STIFF BUTTONS!

GOOD

Overall, I like how this "case" looks. Obviously, it doesn't provided much coverage. If you keep your phone in a pocket or purse with other items that could scratch (i.e. keys, pens), look for a case with more coverage.

I think it looks better than the other bumper-style cases out there in that it allows you to see some of the stainless steel edge of the phone. The clear part is acrylic (I think) and is quite clear optically, unlike the clear silicone/soft plastic cases I've used or seen. It also solves the antenna reception issue: I haven't lost any calls with my phone, but I do get more bars with this case installed. The minimalist design also keeps the phone thin overall. I used my phone for a few weeks without a case because I liked it looks and feel. Once you get used to the bare phone any case makes it feel fat, not to mention covering it's good looks.



BAD

The button covers make using the volume and sleep buttons much more difficult. I had another soft case which barely impeded button use - this is much worse. Like any case, you'll have to remove it if you want to use a dock, speaker or other device in which the phone sits. I haven't had any problems plugging in Apple's stock USB cord, but aftermarket cards may not fit. And as another reviewer pointed out, the hole for the headphone port is too small. Apple's earbuds work, but my Audio Technica and Shure earphones can't plug in. Lastly, the clear part of the case has marks where the plastic was injected into the mold. The marks are visible with anything more that a cursory look. For the price, I guess it's not bad. But I did expect better. It came with clear screen & back protectors, but I didn't like them as they altered screen colors somewhat and were harder to install than most.



OVERALL

Don't buy it if you use headphone often as they most likely won't fit. Otherwise, the minimalist design is nice for showing off the phone's good looks. It's relatively inexpensive, which is nice as I bought it as a temporary case until a custom leather case I've ordered arrives.

I have the iPhone 4 from Verizon. After reading several reviews for this product I decided to try it out. I was not disappointed. The clear edge allows the design of the iPhone to really shine. The case is very durable. I've dropped the phone twice since I've had the case and the phone and the case were unscathed both times. The case isn't bulky so the phone is still sleek and it fits in my purse and my pocket just fine. I took the advice of one of the reviewers and I used a paperclip to push on the black buttons to loosen them up and now they work perfectly. They're not stiff at all. I'm able to turn the volume up and down without any problem. I didn't use the screen protectors. I'll probably put them on at some point, but the phone is fine without them for now. The only problem I've found is one I expected from reading other reviews: only the Apple ear buds will fit in the hole for audio. The only time this has been an issue for me is when I want to listen to music in the car. I have to take the phone out of the case. It's pretty easy to get the phone in and out of the case though so it's not a huge deal. If not for this one flaw, I would have given this five stars. If you want a case to protect your phone, but keep the aesthetics, I highly recommend this case. It's great value for a great price.

My case came with a slight crack in the plastic around the dock connector area and Scosche customer service was easy to reach and replaced my case without any hassle.



Unfortunately, the case itself was less impressive. The third party dock connectors in mine and my wife's cars would not fit into the iPhone while this case was on. Even older Apple dock connectors, from old iPods had to be forced in to work. The stock connector that came with the phone is the only one that fit without a problem. The headphone jack wouldn't fit any headphones other than the stock apple headphones that came with the phone.



The case itself looked nice, but was bulkier than I expected. I assumed it wouldn't be too bulky since it only covered the edges of the phone. I also didn't care for how difficult it was to push the top power button and volume buttons due to the case covering them up.



Overall, this case was not for me. - Scosche - Bumper - Clear - Case'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Protector - case, clear bumper Protector - case, clear