Monday 3 January 2011

Deceptive Advertising - baby wipes, refills


The description isn't entirely clear but you get three 216-ct packages for the price listed (so 648 wipes total). If you're able to take advantage of the super-saver shipping, you end up paying just a smidge over 3 cents per wipe, which is about what I was paying for some store-brand wipes...except I don't have to worry about needing to use 3 or 4 wimpy wipes to do the job of 1 or 2 Huggies wipes, nor do I need to leave the house to get these. :)



After 5 straight years of changing diapers, I still prefer the Huggies wipes above all others, so I'm glad I can find them at a decent price here at Amazon.

Although I tend to buy Pampers brand diapers for my 14-month old girl, I have always strongly preferred Huggies brand wipes because they are thick, strong, and not too wet. I have been buying these Natural Care Fragrance Free wipes since the beginning through amazon's subscribe and save feature, and this WAS a 5 star product. But, no longer. After receiving the latest shipment this week it is clear that the product has changed. The wipes are much thinner, to the point that they are not effective. We had to go through 5-6 wipes just for 1 diaper. I'm very disappointed and will be canceling my subscription. *Incidentally, amazon is listing the date of this review as July, 2009, which was when I started the subscription. However, the review is actually being posted August, 2010.*

We love these Huggies Natural Care Fragrance Free Baby Wipes! (Fragrance Free, not "unscented" which just means the smell is masked.) These wipes are strong, but gentle, on tender skin. Our day care center uses only this particular baby wipe and they recommended it. We like to keep a supply handy in both bathrooms for everyone to use. Remoisten the wipes with steam-distilled water, if needed, because it is hypoallergenic, too, and won't ruin the nice fresh smell of these wipes.

Ingredient List with explanations: water, POTASSIUM LAURETH PHOSPHATE, glycerin, Polysorbate 20, TETRASODIUM EDTA (Penetration enhancer - alters skin structure, allows other chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin), DMDM HYDANTOIN (Human skin toxicant - strong evidence), METHYLPARABEN (Methylparaben is in the paraben family of preservatives used by the food, pharmaceutical, and personal care product industries. Parabens mimic estrogen and can act as potential hormone (endocrine) system disruptors.), MALIC ACID (Use is restricted in Canadian cosmetics), Aloe barabadensis, VITAMIN E IN THE FORM OF TOCOPHERYL ACETATE. (Note: explanations taken from [...]

Notice that the Aloe and Vitamin E are the LAST ingredients, so the product contains a very small amount of the only natural things on the list!

Since I use 10-15 wipes a day, not sure I want to wipe my baby's bum with Parabens.

I bought these primarily because of the unscented aspect, because my little girl has fairly sensitive skin, and out of a lot of other wipes that I used, I definitely like these the best, especially the refill packs, because they're so convenient.



Pros:

-The packages are re-sealable, so you don't have to worry about the refill wipes drying out before you need to put them in the tub. Seriously nice, since the Pampers didn't have that, and half the wipes ended up drying out before I could even use them.

-Thicker, with texture, so they get all the mess, with less wipes. I used some of the Pampers for a little while, and found that I used a lot more of those, because they wouldn't have enough texture to get everything off without using several wipes.

-They really are great with sensitive skin, because we haven't had a rash since using these, and the aloe keeps everything soft.

-The wipes tear easily when dispensing so that you rarely get more than one, and they're thick enough that they rarely tear before you get them out of the tub. (I did say rarely, because they have once in a while, but not often enough be a make or break issue.) Really good for one-handed grabbing.



Cons:

-The package comes with oddly placed dividers, which don't really divide evenly for the tubs, and it's not a really big issue, I just found it odd, and ended up ignoring them and just grabbing enough wipes by eyeballing what looked like it would go into the tub.

-These do have a slight fragrance, but I think that might be from the aloe, and it's nothing serious, mostly because it's non-alcoholic. I don't mind it, and since it doesn't irritate my baby, I'm not worried. But the wipes aren't really completely fragrance-free, just quite a bit less than a lot of other wipes.

That word, "natural," keeps popping up. I've used these, my main beef with the product is that it's not biodegradable. However, they aren't "natural." The fibers in the wipe aren't natural fibers. They are unscented, they are durable. They are a little rougher than some other biodegradable unscented wipes I use. We haven't had a problem with diaper rash but they do sting the eczema on my husband's hands.



A good, strong choice if you aren't too worried about what you're throwing away and are just looking for a durable wipe that's unscented. - Refills - Huggies - Baby Wipes - Strong'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information