Monday 24 January 2011

Connectors - rs-232, connectors


This adapter cable does not work with Windows XP, Vista or 7. I have spent 8 hours trying to make it work, installing different drivers, etc.

I would like to return the adapter, but return shipping costs more than the adapter did. I have been cheated out of my money and 8 hours of time.

I am surprised that Amazon allows vendors to sell faulty merchandise. I guess the almighty dollar speaks louder than these reviews. It would be nice to be credited for our troubles. USB to RS232 DB9 Serial Cable + DB25 Pin Adapter / Port Adapter Converter for GPS, PDA, PC, Modem

Installing this device to Windows Vista caused the dreaded blue screen of death every time I plugged it into a USB port. The drivers loaded to the computer without any errors, but as soon I plugged in the cord and the USB manager "sensed" the device, it would trigger an IRQ conflict resulting in a stack dump.



I ended up tossing it in the trash.

I bought this to use with some of my hardware devices that have serial ports that allowed me to use a backdoor to access the firmware in the device (ex: Netgear WG302). Windows 7 recognized the device and, with the aid of the included CD, installed and recognized the device as a USB-Serial cable. That's about as far as I got. I usually use hyper terminal in Windows to access the device via serial ports. But, even though I programmed the drivers to use specific ports in case there were port conflicts, I couldn't get any results. My advice to anyone wanting a more high-tech way to perform a firmware upgrade to their devices: Keep hanging onto your old computers. I have a laptop that I do firmware upgrades with. That way, even though I won't use it for anything else, it's small enough not to be an inconvenience.

Too many people get caught up with adapters and the quality of them. An adapter, is an adapter, is an adapter. This unit is fully functional and works perfectly. It came neatly packaged and seems durable enough to last. Plus, you get two adapters. One that translates USB to serial and another adapter that translates serial into parallel. What more could you want?

I tried to use this with my X10 controller but finally had to give up after several hours of frustration. From what I've found on the web it does not output the proper voltage which would explain a lot. Note that I'm using this under Linux which does have proper driver support. - Connectors - Rs-232 - Usb To Serial Adapter - Serial Adapter'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Connectors - rs-232, connectors serial adapter Connectors - rs-232, connectors