Sunday 19 December 2010

Good Product - waffles, kitchen appliance


This is an excellent waffle maker, it just works everytime. I like the fact that this machine is a 4 - slice. Amazons price as always is $15 less than the rest. Cant go wrong with this. If your looking to make waffles with ease of use and easy cleanup get the oster 4 slice, you wont regret it.



This is a reasonably priced waffle maker that bakes more or less consistently, and is easy to use and clean. There's nothing complex here -- no settings or anything like that, you just turn it on and wait for the green light.



I like the square shape and making 4 at a time means we can sit down together to eat, and I can also bake several for the freezer and they fit nicely in the toaster later. I also have had no problems will spilling over the sides -- it handles quite a lot of batter. These are all plusses. The only time it was kind of pain to clean was when I added blueberries, and some of them baked to the metal, and that took a little more effort to clean off, but otherwise, just wiping it down with a damp paper towel does the trick.



The only downsides are that sometimes the top of the waffles don't seem to brown as nicely as on the bottom (although the second batch will always seem to come out better than the first), and I noticed a little bit of the black surface coming off on the side of the iron where the cover hits (this after only about 2 uses), but since it is not a spot where food touches, I am not concerned. Also, you may have to check the waffles quite a few times to make sure if they are done or not, but I don't find that a huge drawback.



Overall the waffles have been very nice, and for the price, ease and convenience, as long as more of the black coating doesn't wear off, I am happy with it.

I have only used this waffle maker twice so far. Except for the very first waffle that I cooked, the waffles have been coming out a nice, fairly even golden color. Following directions, I coated top and bottom with cooking spray prior to both uses, but the second time the waffles seemed to want to stick to one of the surfaces more. I noticed later that the instruction booklet calls it a Belgian waffle maker (I intended to get just a conventional waffle maker), but now I understand why the waffles are a little thicker than I expected. I'm extremely happy that it does produce a very large 4-section waffle in about 5 minutes time. (I can join it at breakfast, too, instead of waiting on countless small waffles.) The construction is rather flimsy, but at this price, I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth out of it.

We used this waffle iron for the first time today. The box says "Makes 4 Belgian waffles in minutes". I was very disappointed that the waffles did not have deep pockets like our past 5 Belgian waffle makers. (Yes, we eat a lot of waffles.) This one makes flatter waffles, like our non-Belgian waffle makers. The pockets are wide, but not deep. The waffle height was only about 9/16". The other Belgian waffler we still own, the Oster 3874 Flip Nonstick Belgian Waffle Maker, makes about 15/16" thick waffles (a whole 3/8" thicker), which are about the same as our other past Belgian waffle makers. The Oster 3874 also flips and has a temperature adjustment. This one does neither. We ran both wafflers today with the same batter, and the waffles turned out less crisp and slightly more soggy with this unit compared to the 3874 - but produced more waffles in the same time.



Another thing we noticed is that steam formed inside the indicator light, but we've seen this on other waffle makers with no ill effects. Otherwise it worked acceptably for the first time, making 4 edible waffles at a time without sticking.



It makes 4 4"x4.75" waffles per batch (about 8"x9.5" total griddle size). The cord extends about 28" from the unit, and comes from the bottom out the right side, making it easy to catch inside the corner of the waffle griddle - it happened twice in our first use, slightly melting the cord insulation.



Update:



After many batches, the results are pretty much the same as above. Acceptable waffles and consistent results. The waffles would be crisper if it used a higher temperature.



Amazon sells another large Belgian waffle maker that does make proper deep-pocket waffles, the Krups 654-75 WaffleChef 4-Slice Belgian Waffle Maker. I'm hoping to get that one next. - Kitchen Appliance - Good Product - Waffles - Misprint'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information