Sunday 19 December 2010

Camera Batteries - canon, digital


I paid $56 for what I thought was an OEM battery (manufactured by Canon). The battery pack I received appeared to be genuine, except for the following characteristics:



1. The battery strength meter in the camera goes from fully charged (all bars) to a flashing red "change battery" icon with no reduction in bars. This is an indicator that the battery pack is not genuine Canon.

2. The battery pack only lasts ~200 pictures with flash (the OEM pack lasts something like 450).

3. The writing on the pack is blurry and not as dark as the OEM battery.

4. The seam of the case on my battery has some warbles at the seam; the OEM battery does not.



Caveat Emptor (buyer beware)! Canon LP-E8 Battery Pack for Canon Digital Rebel T2i Digital SLR Camera (Retail Package)

Due to the posts regarding this Canon battery, I had included a note to the Seller Digi Acc that if this wasn't a real Canon battery not to ship it because I would just return it. A very nice gentleman from Digi Acc called me on a Saturday morning to assure me that it was indeed manufactured by Canon and it also was in Canons packaging. I took delivery after his confirmation phone call and haven't had an issue with this battery that I use in my Canon battery grip for my Canon EOS Rebel T2i. Satisfied customer here.

We purchased an additional battery to have while we went on vacation. We were several days into the vacation before we needed the spare and it lasted the remainder of the trip (and trust me I take alot of photos). Very pleased with purchase.

W. Stohler gives the Canon LP-E8 battery a very negative 1 star because he believes he received a fake. So, what's the one star for? He's not rating a genuine Canon battery if his allegations are true. But what should he have done? Maybe immediately contact Amazon to investigate? And return the fake?



I doubt that Amazon would knowingly risk their reputation by selling fake Canon batteries. But in regards to off-brand vs. brand, over the past 25 years, I've never had an off-brand battery last as long as the genuine. Most notably, when I had two batteries for a Sony video camera, one off-brand and one genuine Sony, I found them together after not using them for about two years. The off-brand battery would not even charge, with the charger only flashing its red light. The Sony battery charged-up fully, and is still in use today.



And, in another comment I wrote recently on a third party, LP-E8 battery I bought two months ago. When I attempted to charge it in the Canon charger, the charger continually flashed yellow. I placed it in the third-part charger, and it went immediately to green, though I knew it needed a charge. The third-party charger was questionable, too.



Poorly made batteries can short inside, melt, and even start a fire. Camera manufacturers will not do warranty work on a camera than failed because of an off-brand battery being used.



Will I try to always buy brand: yes. Will I fall for off-brand occasionally: yes, but primarily as back-up batteries that I would seldom use.



I always recommend genuine batteries -- there are very sensitive electronics in that expensive camera of yours.



If you suspect you got a fake, return it.

I buy this product thinking that it is a canon product but it turns out to be a counterfeit. They put the battery in a canon packaging but the prints ( including the Canon logo) on the battery is fuzzy. I paid almost $50 for this and I could of get a generic one for $10. I can tell it is fake since the battery just die without warning when the battery is used up. The real one does not do that. Unfortunately, it is sold by 3rd party although it is fulfilled by Amazon. Never buy something like this again. Beware.

I ordered this item and it was shipped from Commercial Solutions Consulting. It is NOT a Canon brand battery as pictured. I assumed that this issue was probably old and had been taken care of, but it has not. Buyer beware!

All indicators lean towards this being an authentic, it is not. The main thing Canon tells you to look for is the lettering. Compare it to an OEM Canon battery that came with your DSLR. The lettering on the "real" one is VERY crisp and sharp. The lettering on the aftermarket Canon (fake) one's are blurry. The OEM is a nice crisp white background with black lettering. The aftermarket is cream with light grey smeared lettering. The difference is VERY easy to spot side by side. The batteries made by 3rd party vendors are supposed to be safer for your camera, but the one's branded Canon that are NOT Canon are supposedly the one's to be cautious of. Be careful with the Canon one's that are not authentic. Spend the $10 or $12 on the 3rd party one's. Either way, if it's not a $60 OEM one bought at a local store, watch it carefully in your expensive DSLR. I know I am..... - Digital - Canon - Camera Batteries - Battery'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information