Sunday 21 November 2010

Lens Protection - lens protection, photography


Well, I lost my lens cap down a sewer, so I just purchased a cheap generic 72mm cap. That was a mistake, the generic cap is difficult to put on and off, especially with the hood on the lens.



My new rule, buy genuine replacement caps :-) Canon E 72U - Lens cap

I recently purchased some other lenses for my Canon, and it didn't come with a cap, so this fited perfectly. I only took a star out because of the shipping cost. I ended up paying just as much for the shipping as I paid for the caps. If you can get them through Amazon super saver shipping it would be better.

Originally, I purchased a cheap cap replacement from a vendor. ($5 bucks including shipping)



When I got it, and tested it for 5 minutes, I had to return it. The cap was really hard to get on and off the camera quickly, the edges inside (touching the lens) were rough, and it just felt so cheap, and that it could possibly scratch the plastic part of my lens.



So I spent $6 more ($11) for a canon cap.

The difference is night and day.

The fit and finish is much better (just like your original one), much easier to put on and off, etc.



I give it 4 stars, because it costs $11 for a piece of plastic....



On the other hand, it's just $5 - $6 more than the no brand cheap pieces, and it is much much better than those.

Fits nicely on my lens. It's nice to have extra lens cap especially when it's like the original. These can get a little pricey for a piece of plastic but when you have a brand name on it like Canon, that's expected.

Rule of thumb is you can never go wrong with OEM items (if you like the manufacturer in the first place). I lost my original cap one night when I was in a river side. Instead of buying some cheap no name cap, I bought this one, and man, I love it. I feel that its better than original lens cap that came with lens. Its thicker, has better grip then original one. If we are spending $400 for the lens then why hesitate to spend $11 for original cap.

I have been lucky not to have had to replace the original lens cap before this as I'm bad about leaving them lying about. This one I lost on a hike when I broke my arm in a fall. (my camera was ok)

The replacement arrived quickly and fit perfectly. I can put it on and take it off with the lens hood in place. I may order an extra for each of my lenses, just to be safe. - Lens Protection - Accessories - Lens Accessory - Photography'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information