Monday 23 August 2010

Stainless Steel Cookware - bpa-free, stainless steel cookware


I love the idea of a durable ice cube tray. I've quite accidentally destroyed many plastic ones over the years, and I grow tired of adding more stuff into landfills needlessly. When i saw this, it was elated to think I'd have something that would be quite durable.



I'm torn about this product, for i like the concept. For 38 dollars with shipping, this thing should be built like a tank. Given how it's built, it should be [...] So I've given it 3 stars for this reason. The lever/cube mechanism (quality) is far too weak and thin---after all, i was looking for durability and longevity. I'm not confident that it will last for decades unless treated quite cautiously. In my first few trays and testing, I've put a sleight bend into the cube separators where the lever puts pressure on it. *It can be bent back* but anytime metal is flexed to the point of distortion, and flexed back, eventually it will crack if it happens enough. Now that i know, i can be more cautious with it, but as i said, it's not built like it should be for the price.





Dimensions of tray interior where cubes are made: 4x10x1 (but as i said, fill to only half full, so 4x10x0.5) Smaller than i would have estimated from pictures, but still adequate in my opinion.



No instructions: A Recommended fill level would be nice. After my own little testing, I don't recommend over half full, maybe a bit less.

Freeze it with the lever down, as the description says. For someone with grip issues, do not freeze it with the lever up and try to push it down to separate cubes--the lever is not designed for stress in that direction.



One more thing: being all metal, I feel it certainly makes solid cubes faster than plastic trays ever will. As a single person, with a small cube bucket, i feel no need for more than one of these trays. Stainless Steel Ice Cube Tray - BPA Free

I have an ice maker in my refrigerator, but it's extremely old (and plastic). This is an awesome ice cube tray, and no more plastic! It looks beautiful; it works beautiful. I've made tons of ice cubes with it, and will continue to do so. I keep my ice cubes in a stainless steel loaf-type pan, so I just make the ice cubes whenever it starts to get low. I don't think I'll ever need two trays. If for some reason I do, I'll get another one of these. This would also make a great gift!

I bought this ice cube tray because I was tired of using plastic or silicone ice cube trays that made my ice cubes taste funky. On that count, this tray has delivered fantastically well--my ice cubes taste great! The water also freezes super fast. I transfer the cubes from this tray into an enclosed container in my freezer, to prevent evaporation, retain flavor, and to keep more cubes on hand.



The handle for removing the cubes was very stiff the first time I tried to use it, and the metal was so cold, it actually cut my skin, so I'd recommend using a towel or gloves the first few times. After that, it does loosen up, but is still sturdy.



I don't get whole ice cubes--it's more like big chunks with a lot of crushed ice.



I think the price is too high for an ice cube tray--it should cost about half as much, but it's commensurately priced with all other stainless steel ice cube trays that I looked for, so I doubt you'll find a cheaper stainless steel tray anywhere else. You can find cheaper metal trays for about $8, but they'll be made out of aluminum, which is arguably less safe than stainless steel.



Overall, I am satisfied with this product.

Through some trial and error, I have written instructions for this:



1. Place lever in the downward position.

2. Fill tray about half way with water (to just below the rivets that hold the lever in place).

3. Place in freezer and remove when frozen.

4. Pull up on lever to free ice.



I tried filling it all the way with water, but it's impossible to crack the ice that way. I'm very pleased with this tray, and I'd definitely recommend it to a friend.

I ordered this tray because I was tired of plastic ice cube trays that quickly broke, and I had read that some people think silicon trays impart an "off" taste to the ice.



It's a great investment and I only wish I had bought one years ago. It does take a bit of effort to pull the lever and free the ice, but way less effort than it has always taken me to wrestle with the cubes that get stuck in the plastic trays.



The product photo makes this tray look larger and clunkier than it actually is. It turns out it's about the same size as an ordinary plastic tray.

I have used this item several times since its arrival

only have 1 complaint, I knew this prob before buying ice tray.

It is very difficult removing the cubes once frozen, thanks to

another reviewer who had posted before I bought this tray it

was a fairly simple matter in removing ice cubes, without

bending the release arm!!!

Run tap water on the backside of the tray to release seperator

and cubes fm the tray, then run some tap water on top of the cubes

let sit for a min or so then gently pull up on release arm and

like magic the cubes will fall out into your waiting container

such as the Stainless Steel bread loaf container.

I was forced to buy this since my market quit carrying normal

ice cubes if u can believe that, that really Sucked LoL

PS: Glad I did buy the StainLess Steel Ice Cube Tray!! 8 ^ )

As far as metal ice trays on the net, these are the best I've found so far. I tried the aluminum trays on amazon and they broke in a little over a month. If you're looking to cut out toxic chemicals in your life like my wife and I are, then this is the best quality. I'll be sure to update this review if something bad happens. But, for now, these trays are very sturdy and solid. - Ice Cube Trays - Bpa-free - Stainless Steel Cookware - Non-toxic'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Stainless Steel Cookware - bpa-free, stainless steel cookware stainless steel cookware Stainless Steel Cookware - bpa-free, stainless steel cookware