Saturday 17 July 2010

Environmentally Friendly - diaper cover, cloth diapers


I was originally very happy with these inserts because I wanted something thin. I used them with the Thirsties covers. They worked well for my 18 month old at first, but as he got older they just weren't sufficiently absorbent. IMO... the bulker the cloth diaper, the more absorbent it will be. There is no magic fabric. Over time the microfiber layer hasn't held up well. It has gotten rough and stained. The hemp layer still looks great, though. I now use prefolds instead. They are bulky, yes, but much more absorbent. Prefolds are also cheaper, they wash better, and they dry faster. I will save these to use with the next baby, however because it is nice to have a slimmer option on occasion. Thirsties Stay-Dry Duo Insert, White, Size One (6-18 lbs)

We've been using these for six months, and love them. I use prefolds at home, but this is our go-to diaper when we are out of the house. It takes up less space in the diaper bag than a prefold, and makes for quick and easy changes in a public restroom. I've also tried FLIP inserts, but I like these much better because they combine hemp and microfiber. Microfiber absorbs quickly, but hemp holds more and does not cause compression leaks as easily. I use these with all of our covers (Blueberry Coveralls, Thirsties sized, and Thirsties Duo Wraps), and they work well with all.

These inserts work perfectly!



The Good:

1. The size is perfect.. long and wide enough

2. VERY absorbing yet still thin! Genius design

3. There are two inserts connected by a white tab on each end. This is great feature because I pull them apart to speed up drying.

4. The tab feature is great for us because when we are at home we use three at bedtime. So we use one set connected and divide another set and use off of that set. You can't even tell the difference in diaper size between two and three!

5. I like the white color. Some things do not need to be all colored and full of dyes. This is one of those items.

6. They are well made - I wash my daily and have no wear or tear from it.



The Eh:

1. This can be taken as good or bad. I personally take it as good, but they take a long while to dry. I see this as proof positive that they hold fluids well and work perfectly for their purpose. Others may see this a bad due to the electric/gas bill. I pull mine apart when I dry them and I did buy some dryer balls to assist in keeping them separated while drying. They do require in my dryer an added 20 minutes. My dryer is a Kenmore super capacity elite series and that may be why it does takes so long... the drum is huge and I only wash an average of 7 diapers every other day.

I got a couple of Thirsties pocket diapers that come with these inserts and liked them, but was not crazy about the way the Thirsties fit on my skinny 2 1/2 month old. I had a couple of Happy Heiny's pocket diapers that were gifts and really wanted to use them but they don't come with inserts (you have to buy them separately) so I thought I'd try these inserts in the HH diapers. A perfect fit! The inserts are very absorbent and do fit perfectly (not too wide or too long) in other pocket diapers as well. As for the drying issue, if I pull them out of the dryer and they are still damp, I just drape them over the side of my laundry basket for a while to finish drying. You could hang them outside too (which would also solve the staining issue some reviewers mentioned). While I agree they are a bit pricey, I remind myself that you are really getting two inserts here because the two layers snap together and can be pulled apart for layering.

Cloth diapered triplets from birth to potty training. These inserts are the best for absorbing without all the added bulk. Seldom have we experienced any leaks and usually that is because the kids drank too much before going to bed or the diaper was not put on correctly. Well worth buying!

Ok, so I use both all in one cloth diaper and prefolds with covers. Love Thirsties Duo Wraps and when I saw these inserts I was hoping for an easier insert for the cover. I love using prefolds and the Duo covers because it's the cheapest way to cloth diaper, but as wonderfully absorbent and slim as these inserts are, the price increases the cost. They are super easy to use, clean, and super absorbent. Just wish they had a bulk price since you need more than one throughout the day. I use the one I have for going out of the house since it's more convenient than a prefold.

I don't like that they take so long to dry, the edges are curled up, and they really don't hold much more than a microfiber insert IMO. I don't trust them at night, each time I have put my 2 year old to bed with one of these and a large microfiber insert he wakes up soaking wet. He's not a super heavy wetter either. I think I will stick with prefolds and microfiber. - Thirsties - Cloth Diapers - Diaper Cover - Diaper'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Environmentally Friendly - diaper cover, cloth diapers cloth diapers Environmentally Friendly - diaper cover, cloth diapers