Friday 23 October 2009

Home Entertainment Projectors - 3d ready, projector


The qumi is an awsome little projector. I am currently using it to project an 80" picture in my bedroom and I have alot of ambient light and the picture still looks awsome. It is great that it has a bunch of connections and that vivitek includes a mini-hdmi to hdmi, a mini-hdmi to mini-hdmi and a vga connector. My only negative is that those cables are really short less than a foot. If you are looking for a projector I would get one of these right away. Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen WXGA HDMI 3D-Ready Pocket DLP Projector (Black)

Let's just say I have own an Optoma HD65, due to the lamp and power outages around here, I've opted for an LG HX300(G). I was able to live with it fine and dandy but wanted something around 720p instead of 1080p. I don't need 1080p to live since most of the stuff I watch are from Netflix or YouTube. 720p is enough for HD quality and everything else that I do.



Then I researched for more LED projectors and ran into LG HW300 and Qumi Q2. To be honest I would've gone with the LG HW300 for the DLNA so I could stream videos/musics easier without bunch of cables around my room and in my closet.



As for the Qumi Q2, the 300 lumens is enough for me. I can live with it since the LG HX300 is about the same but I would have to say the Q2 is slightly brighter. My only major gripe is having to buy adapters for my HDMI cable and component (still need to find an adapter for it). No accessories/adapters for other video inputs (for example the Wii).



The menu is really really basic. Can't calibrate much at all. Cannot change R, G, B to suit the situation. The presettings were ok. Brightness was way too saturated but not too bad for me.



Now for the good stuff, pixels are much more less noticeable when compared to the LG HW300, thanks to the increase pixels. Videos played nicely no stutter, no rainbow effect that I could notice, and the fan was not too bad (bad during silent scenes).



**One little trouble, I had a defective one prior to this review. The red led was broken or something because Mario's red under clothing was pure black. So did other images and videos where red didn't show up. Amazon was willing to replace it without any hassle. Thank you Amazon. Vivitek took awhile to respond but I took up on Amazon's offer because they were much more speedier in their replies.





Overall though, I am pleased with the product.





Update- After using it for like 2 weeks. I'm actually getting quite frustrated with the projector. It appears that after shutting off the projector and turning it back on later, you are required to refocus again. If you are using it as a dedicated theater and mounted on the ceiling, you literally have to climb up every time, turn the focus wheel and not turn it off ever again. That's very inconvenient and a major flaw for me. I wish Vivitek would address something on this issue other than telling us to just refocus when it reaches operational temperature.



Update 8/27/11- I'm beginning to notice the projector is not focused in some areas strangely enough. Like along the bottom right portion of the screen is blurred out and middle left. Apparently it's a common problem. Please buy at your own discretion. Dropped it to 3 stars.

pros: Brighter than most led projectors, I have a 100" screen. HD 720p, very nice. Enough ports for a portable (You will find yourself swapping HDMI cables if you don't have a switch).

Only 1.6 lbs. NO NEED FOR LAMP REPLACEMENTS! Plays video, music, and documents from portable media fairly well (if in the right format, handbrake works pretty well for .mp4). Very good skin tones



cons: Seems to need refocused after heating up. No power button on remote, hard power switch though, so any remote controlled outlet could work. Slight green tint to black and white scenes.



comments: Very saturated colors. Super basic menu. I haven't tried the 3D functionality



Good deal for the money.

It was quite a wait for the Qumi projector, factoring in several delays due to manufacturing and Vivitek shipping misfires. But it was well worth the wait. I have an Optoma HD65 720P projector and I absolutely love it. The Optoma is bright, vibrant, and very portable. While the Qumi does not produce as large or dynamic a picture as my Optoma, it does hold its own. The Qumi is surprisingly bright for 300 lumens and the colors are very rich. The picture is sharp and clear. And the portability of the Qumi is fantastic, clearly surpassing my Optoma on that front. I have projected images from 20" to 110" and have been impressed with its delivery of content, especialy from Netflix, blu rays and DirecTV HD. I use it all over my home, yard, and deck and am very pleased with its performance. The ability to achieve 3D viewing appears to be very limited. But honestly, I didn't purchase the Qumi for that use. I wanted a mobile, big screen performance where bulb replacement, due to hours used, was no longer a concern. And the Qumi has abundantly delivered just that. And as usual, Amazon's service was IMPECABLE in the purchase of this projector. A great product and great service. Like I said............definitely worth the wait.

Great little projector. I've had it for a day and I believe you need nothing else if you are looking for a small,light and very portable projector.

300 hundred lumens is more than enough for anything you may want. A good set of connections cables (short, like 18 inches). In my case I got a 120 inches screen from 3.5 meters from the wall. Excellent quality. Only complaint is sound, but any speaker system will do the trick. I recommend this to anybody who is looking for a portable projector.

I've had it for a few weeks now, and I love it! It is my first projector so you could say maybe it's because I have nothing to compare it to. I currently have it projecting a 96" image on a screen I built using black out cloth (tutorials can be found online.) Blu Rays from my PS3 look amazing even at the resolution of 1280 x 800. I have it mounted to my ceiling with a speaker mount.

A few minor problems though. It takes about 15 minutes to reach optimal temperature to focus. So I waited 15 min. Then focus. I leave it at that focus setting. Next time I turn it on it is focused after 15 min. Also, it is quite difficult to get focused perfectly. It can be done, though you may notice a portion of the screen is not as focused as the rest. Not a big difference to me, though other reviewers disagree. Lastly, you really do need complete darkness for the best looking picture. Once I build my theater room in the basement I won't have to worry about that. In the living room now, I mostly use it at night anyway. And when I use it in the daytime, I put a black blanket over my large living room window and I'm good to go! For 500 bucks you can't really complain! A friend of mine has a very high end projector and screen and the difference in image quality does not equal the difference in cost in my opinion. - Optoma - Projector - 3d Ready - Portable Projectors'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Home Entertainment Projectors - 3d ready, projector portable projectors Home Entertainment Projectors - 3d ready, projector