Friday 23 October 2009

Camping Knife - multi-tool, swiss army


For the busy technology professional, a good knife can be the single most used tool. The Victorinox Tinker is pretty close to perfect. It has the critical core screwdrivers -- flathead and Phillips -- as well as simple punch, pick, and tweezers. It is NOT a huge pocket-tearing monster. The biggest problem is not leaving this miniature workshop behind! Victorinox Swiss Army Tinker and Classic Knife Combo

My first Tinker model was a black one-- brought to me from Switzerland in the 80s. I used it for years before finding a red version in the US-- at a Surplus store. I have other models, but the Tinker is the only one I carry on a daily basis. I use it, every single day. It has no attachments that I don't need (scissors, corkscrews etc are nice, but I don't *need* them) and its small enough that I don't feel like I have a brick in my pocket. Tweezers are great for picking up tiny lost objects or splinter removal, and the leather punch is a great awl. The only difference between my Swiss version and the "American" (both Victorinox) is that the Swiss one has a Philips head driver with a horizontal "slot" gap in the tip. That allows it to pinch into a smaller head, while the non slotted one is a fixed size for only larger screw heads. I when I found I could get the Tinker in the US so easily, I put the original in my locked box so I don't lose it. Its a super knife, and I am the hero at the office, at parties (I can open the most complicated packaging easily) and anywhere I fine a loose screw, dull pencil or use for a toothpick (which you can buy in replacement packs). I'd give it 5 Stars-- if this version had the slotted Philips head like my import. I own three in all-- black, red and engraved clear blue. [...]has 4 colors & can do the engraved ones, but they're a few $$ higher.

Great knife for a wonderful price. We are in the Civil Air Patrol and need such a knife for Emergency Services and it has everything but the kitchen sink. Quality is tops. Love it! We keep one in the glove compartment of the cars.

I have loved Swiss Army Knifes for years. They never wear out and the only reason you will ever have a need for buying another is you lost yours or you just want a wider collection of them. Over the years I have lost a couple unfortunately but I get so much satisfaction from them they more than pay for the ocassional replacement because of my oversight. Engrave them if you can because very few will ever get turned into Lost & Found. This two knife set is an excellent value because you get a full size knife for your toolbox, vehicle, or work, and a small one to carry everywhere you go. I highly recommend this set. Don't take these when you travel. Airport security guards love these too and they will confiscate them in the name of security but we all know they end up at their houses.



CA Luster

When everyone thinks of army knives they think of FIXITALL dudes and outdoorsy traveling people. Well, its not only these types that needs tools. The swiss army knife comes in so handy when you've moved out on your own but you haven't started to accumulate years of junk for your future supposed family.

enter: college. tightening screws on a fan, cutting open tough packaging, replacing swatch batteries, and yes... even opening a bottle of beer. its a bunch of tools you need in life in a tiny little package. i'm not carrying it everywhere but i leave it on a hook with a mini flashlight and there's my workbox: the swiss army tinker and a mini maglite. The only thing i don't see my self using is a wire stripper, but that might come in handy for engineering majors. This is probably the only tool you need until you finally settle down.

I ordered two of these: one for my desk and one for an Xmas gift for my brother-in-law. In-case you are wondering, it comes in one of those plastic clear packages designed to hang on store hooks (the ones that are impossible to open without a big pair of scissors or, well, a Swiss Army Knife). Sure, it is not a fancy gift box, but at roughly $17, it is a fantastic value.



The knives are as good quality as any other Victorinox knives I've had go. This is a great way to have the essentials at a low price. The build quality is great, but I did find that there was an excess of oil on the blades when opening the knife for the first time. Be sure to have a tissue handy.



The knives

-The Tinker - probably the most commonly used SAK in the world. This is just like the original Spartan, but has a Philips screwdriver instead of the corkscrew. It comes with the essentials - blade, smaller blade, bottle opener/wire stripper/flathead, reamer, screwdriver, and bottle opener. The reamer itsself has a farely sharp blade on it, and so does the can opener. To many, this knife will have all they need and then some on a package that is farely thin and light. I find that SAK's that are thicker than this (2 slots) can be unwieldy and heavy to carry around in the pocket from day to day.

-The Classic - Great little knife to keep in the bag, in the desk, by the couch, or just about anywhere. It is tiny, and has a good blade, a nail file with a small flathead end, and a pair of scissors. I've used these scissors just about my whole life to cut my nails, and they work fantastic.



These two knives make a great pair, and could be a good gift that will be treasured by the recipient for a long time to come. Not only will they last through many years of good use, but Victorinox backs them up with an awesome lifetime warranty. It is also a timeless classic, and who doesn't appreciate that?

I ordered this for my husband. He has always wanted a swiss army knife, so I started looking for one. Man are they way cheaper here than in store. I found the same one in store and they wanted 50 just for the big one. Great deal as usuall from Amazon.

After I thoughtfully (okay reluctantly) donated my Victorinox Swiss Army Midnite Minichamp Pocket Knife to T.S.A. on my last trip out of town I needed to find a new knife.



Although the light/pen additions to my previous knife were nice, I decided I really wanted the toothpick/tweezer combo this time. Additionally the idea of receiving the second knife as a bonus was a great selling point to me, just in case I am forgetful again and have it confiscated at the airport.



All of the features on both of these knives are useful. The tools I find myself using over and over are the small blade (Great for opening Amazon boxes, just slice carefully!), the bottle opener (For that cool evening beverage on the deck) and the tweezers (For the slivers in my feet from walking barefoot). I've decided that the larger of the two knives will be the one I carry in my purse and the smaller will be my back-up.



I would have loved to not need a new knife, but at this price it wasn't a punishment to buy another. I am also now considering buying some extras to give as gifts. - Swiss Army - Victorinox - Pocket Knife - Multi-tool'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Camping Knife - multi-tool, swiss army swiss army Camping Knife - multi-tool, swiss army