Saturday 1 August 2009

Power Tools - reciprocating saws, recipricating saw


I just took delivery of the beauty pictured below. I'm not a professional, I'm just a tool-obsessed DIYer.



I have only used one other reciprocating saw -a Craftsman 2-speed unit. This Sawzall is, to say the least, a world apart from the Craftsman. First of all, some things I really like about it:



1. SMOOTH. The counterbalance on this thing is amazing. There is very little vibration when it's running free. In orbital mode you can feel a slight vibration owing to the fact that the vertical component of motion is not counterbalanced. Nevertheless, even in orbital mode this saw transmits less vibration into my hands than my truck does at 65 MPH on the highway.



2. The "Cord Lock" feature. I didn't really think this would be worth much, but it turns out its quite convenient. You insert and remove the cord by twisting it to lock/unlock it. Plus it comes with a 10' cord; much longer than most power tools.



3. 13 amps of destruction. That's a ton of power. Note that Makita makes a 15-amp model now, so it's only a matter of time before Milwaukee upgrades to 15 amp (probably about a month after I've had the one I just bought :rolleyes.



4. Clutch protection for the drivetrain. If you suddenly lock up the blade the clutch protects the innards from grenading.



Things I don't like (so far):

1. The plastic shoe adjustment lock (noted in the second picture). This is very thin plastic. Fortunately it's also very flexible, so it's not brittle at all. But I feel this part would be better in aluminum. I've written Milwaukee to suggest this.



Things I'm neutral about:



1. Extensive use of plastic. This thing only weighs about 10 lb, which is great. Unfortunately this weight savings is achieved mostly using plastic. The entire rotating handle is plastic. Don't get me wrong, this tool is metal in the most important parts (motor and gear case), but I'd like to see a nice aluminum or magnesium handle. I don't fault Milwaukee for this, because everyone's making their tools this way now. I don't think there are any all-metal tools left on the market.



2. The 360 degree rotating handle. This thing has the potential to be really convenient, but I haven't used the saw enough yet to form a worthwhile opinion on whether this feature is worth the additional cost (about $10 extra).



I'd like to note that when I first took it out the orbital selector was very difficult to operate. So difficult, in fact, I thought it was defective. It wouldn't be so bad if there was more than just a tiny nub to grab onto. After using the saw for a bit, it did loosen up and it's much easier to slide now.



Also, the saw is built very "tight" from the factory, and the speed variation through the trigger was a little "clunky" for the first 25% of trigger pull. I'm happy to report after using it for a bit that it breaks in nicely and things operate smoother now. It makes sense that it needs to be broken in; I don't think they run them very long at the factory.



Nowhere on this tool is it indicated where it's made. I did finally locate, in small text at the bottom of the cardboard packaging, a line that read "Made in USA". I discovered that Milwaukee was recently (2005) bought by a Chinese company, TTI (Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd.) This brought on intense fear that my beloved Milwaukee might be [gulp] Made in China! I called Milwaukee and asked and they assured me the tool was made in Jackson, MI. It's amazing how rare it is for a power tool to be made in the US anymore.



Cutting performance is, as expected, stellar. Vibration level is very low. I tried the saw out by cutting up an old water heater. Sliced around the circumference with no effort. Then I cut vertically down the entire length of the heater in 2 places. "The Torch" blade that was included was dull 25% through the second vertical run, which really slowed progress. When those Milwaukee blades are sharp, though, look out!



I can't adequately describe how awesome it is to work with such a quality tool. I'm sure the offerings from Makita, Bosch, Dewalt, and Porter-Cable are also great saws, but there's a certain satisfaction in owning one made by the company that invented it. Milwaukee 6523-21 Super Sawzall 13 Amp Reciprocating Saw with Rotating Handle

Does this saw live up to the Milwaukee heritage? Oh yes, and then some. Looking to get a Sawzall, I looked at many manufacturer's saws at the box stores, and began closing in on a more powerful saw since I would be looking to do some house renovation as well as some steel work. It came down to the Bosch RS20 and the Super Sawzall. In the stores, these two don't even compare. Hold the Milwaukee, and you will see its weight is placed very well between the 2 grip areas. The 360 rotating shaft is a great "detail", and one I thought was the final selling point besides the Milwaukee quality name.



I was not proven wrong. Less that 30 minutes after I received the saw, I was out cutting down fenceposts with the Milwaukee. As it turns out, the 360 "detail" is not a minor detail, but a very usable facet to this great saw. At 13 amps, it didnt' hesitate cutting through greener posts, and the saw felt great and stable when doing the job. Not a lot of vibration either. When that happened, I rolled on the speed, and the vibration from the fencepost settled down and the cutting tended to go quicker.



If you need to use a saw regularly, or you're the type who buys tools to last a lifetime, you at least need to consider Milwaukee tools. My father was a tool and die machinist who swore by Milwaukee tools. I have nodoubt that these tools will outlast me and not even be slowed down by the home improvements they'll help me with.

To start I have no bias in this review whatsoever, I am in construction and I run a crew of guys who work for me daily. My interest is in finding the best and most reliable tool. I keep multiples of most types of tools on hand and they are all used regularly. I usually buy the "best" of what is out there because the cost of downtime and replacement is not worth the time/cost to me.



I bought this tool from Amazon a few weeks before this review date. At the same time I bought a Makita 15 AMP and Hitachi 13 AMP. The other 2 saws are still working the SawZall is not. I was initially put off by the fact that the Makita was made in China, but it cuts very well and is very heavy duty. The only thing that is weird with the Makita is the mechanism that holds the blade is a bit flakey - but works - you just have to jiggle it sometimes to get the blade in. Also the rubber boot that covers the blade hold mechanism disitegrated quickly and is totally off. The Hitachi is holding up well but has not been used as much as the others to this point, but so far so good.



The Sawzall no longer works. The blade reciprocates in the air but when you try to cut something the blade stops despite the motor running and does not cut anything. The Sawzall it turns out is also made in China, but assembled in the USA. I have an old 11 AMP Sawzall - all metal that has lasted well over 20 years so far - this new unit is not that - nor that quality. The cutting seemed fine when it did work briefly (I am writing this about 40 days after we received the saw - it was used maybe 5 times). Also the blade holding mechanism is better than the Makita.



I called Amazon to exchange the unit they would not saying it was after 30 days. Fact is that Amazon does not support tool sales well, while we get better service from tool companies. So far I would recommend either the Makita or Hitachi - maybe even this unit (we might have gotten a lemon) but I would not order tools form Amazon in the future. Also looks like the price dropped about $20 on the tool from when I ordered it. - Demolition - Reciprocating Saws - Recipricating Saw - Milwaukee'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Power Tools - reciprocating saws, recipricating saw milwaukee Power Tools - reciprocating saws, recipricating saw