Sunday 12 July 2009

Retractable - fisher pen, fisher space pen


I had a plastic barrel Cap-O-Matic Space Pen for many years (and a few refills) until one fateful slam of the backpack cracked it in two. I missed having such a reliable pen around, so I bought this one as replacement. I didn't want to contend with loose caps, so it was back to the Cap-O-Matic or a retractable, such as this. These pens really are great for jotting quick notes on the fly -- you can write at any angle and not have to do the old thermometer shakedown to get ink to the tip.



The rubberized barrel of this pen is only very slightly texturized, and it's not soft at all, unlike some cushiony rubberized pens I've seen (can't remember brands, but they were not the spiffy pressurized kind.) This Space Tec is still pretty slippery in my hand. And the entire tip is hard, slick plastic, albeit with a few traction grooves at the fingertip area. The rubberization stops where the red rings stop at the barrel end. Everything from there down is shiny plastic. It's not very comfortable for writing on account of the grooves, and they don't even redeem themselves by making it feel secure in hand.



The pocket clip feels a tad flimsy. Only time will tell how long it will last and how much (or how little) flexing it can take. (I'm notorious for fidgeting with pens and snapping off the clips, so I'm not deducting any stars for the clip.)



I'm still glad with my purchase for the price (and with the free Super Saver Shipping), but I will review the line again before getting another Space Tec model. Fisher Space Pen, Space-Tec Pen with Black Ink, Medium Point, Black Rubber Coated (ST)

It is a solid pen. You can write upside down, on your side, underwater... anyway you can imagine.



The retractability is a bit shaky. Sometimes you need to tweak here and there to ensure it retracts and the grip is a bit uncomfortable.



I kind of hoped a bit more perfection for the price I payed but considering the refills only cost about $4, maybe this is as good as it gets. It still think it is priceless to be able to write upside down, or on your lap, or underwater for that matter, so I will not nitpick.

I have owned one of these for more than fifteen years. I like the everyday look of the pen, which keeps it from being a theft target. The mechanical parts of the pen have lasted well through years of heavy use. I've been through a few refills since I've owned the pen. From time to time it's been a hassle finding refills, and once I had a pair of refills which oozed ink and left black splotches when first beginning to write. It's here that I'd deduct a star except it's really not the pen's fault. My work requires the ability to write at any angle for extended periods of time, so Space Pens have no competition for my business. I just wish finding genuine refills was easier.

Decent pen. Ergonomics for my large hand are less than anticipated. Am using in a rough environ, and could use a method to hang around my neck so it doesn't get away. But, considering it does what it is supposed to do, I can't ask more.

Excellent value for the money. I've had this pen for a few months now and it does nothing but work the way it should. Not a "tactical" pen but on the other hand, weighs less than half an ounce. Clipped to a shirt pocket, you don't feel its presence. The rubber covering and minimal grooving on the grip area provide good traction for nonslip writing. And of course it takes the Fisher refill with all its advantages. If you're looking for a perfect functioning reasonably priced pen, this is for you. But it doesn't look particularly luxurious and most likely, would not hold up to the abuse a metal pen could withstand.

Back when I was a wage-slave, working long hours in an office & warehouse, this pen was my tool of choice. It's rugged & reliable, writes smoothly, the ink lasts forever (using the same patented pressurized ink that the original Fisher Space Pen uses), and it fits neatly in a shirt pocket. Over an almost-two-decade stint with the same company, I used 3 of these, and I still have the third!



Also, the Space-Tec is half the price of the original Space Pen, even though it has the exact same ink & writing tip.



I've tried other pens, including a Mont Blanc, but I've kept returning to the Fisher Space Pens because of their quality and durability. And the Space-Tec design, as I've said, is perfect for the professional environment.

I bought this pen for my son who works outside. We live in New England and he kept complaining that the ink in his pen would freeze. When he first started using it, it was great. He said it never froze and it wrote at all angles. However, after three weeks, the pen just broke. It was in his jacket pocket, he pulled it out to use it, and found the plastic tip had broken and the spring had come out. For such an expensive pen I would have expected it to hold up much better than this! It's not like he was abusing it. My son and I are both very disappointed!

Gets the job done. Perfect for someone who needs a great, dependable pen. At the price, no need to worry about loss, yet has the space pen features. Well received by the engineers I gifted it to. Very highly recommended.

The ink in ballpoint/felt tip pens tends to thicken and even freeze up in really cold weather, rendering them unusable; and the lead in pencils becomes brittle and breaks. Not this baby. Writes like a champ in extreme outdoor conditions and is always reliable. Have had many compliments on how smooth it writes, and had a difficult time getting it back from one person. Ordered 3 more. - Great Pen - Fisher Space Pen - Refills - Fisher Pen'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Retractable - fisher pen, fisher space pen fisher pen Retractable - fisher pen, fisher space pen