Saturday 2 May 2009

Noodlers - noodlers, fountain pen ink


Purchased this Noodler's to round out my ink assortment and really didn't have a "quiet' purple, one that would be useful on business letterhead as well as personal notes. This color is truly "royal" having a tinge of purple, yet being predominantly blue. And the shading is quite exquisite when used with an italic or broad/blunt nib. Highly recommended if you're looking for something a little out of the ordinary, yet still in the blue family Noodlers Fountain Pen Ink - La Coleur Royale (purple)

This is a great all-purpose ink. I have tried several Noodler's brand inks, and all of them work great. I filled an inexpensive pen I found on Ebay with this ink, and it actually made the pen usable. Smooth flow, fast drying time, and bullet proof once it bonds to the paper.



As a professor I grade 75+ papers, quizzes, exams, outlines, etc. a week, and I was looking for an inexpensive and distinctive way to mark papers. Not only did switching to a fountain pen make grading just a little bit more fun, it also brought the cost way down. Additionally, I can pick a pen that fits my writing style and fill it with one color ink one week, and a different color the following week. I am not limited to Red, Black, and Blue for correcting papers, and my students think it is "cool" that I have fountain pen.

Just received it in the mail. It is a darker looking purple with a more bluish feel to it. I like the color, but it tends to feather more more than my Noodler's black bulletproof ink. Will be good for taking notes in class.

I just got this ink in the mail today and I have been using it all day. First off, this is an excellent ink! It has a nice deep purple color. I don't see what other reviewers are saying about the blue hue. It must be the paper they are using or something. I work as a quality control rep for samsung televisions- my eyes are trained to find the devil in the details, especially in colors. I definetely do not see any blue in this ink. Just as the name suggests it looks like a royal purple. Another name I would call it is grape purple, its just a dark purple color. Don't get me wrong, I love this ink, I'm just saying that its purple and not a blue-purple hybrid (which would be cool).



My Lamy Safari with a 1.1 Calligraphy Nib loaded with this ink lays a nice wet line that dries quickly. The ink glides the pen across the paper with a very smooth and very consistant line without scratching. Line consistency is great with this ink compared to Noodlers Polar Black (only other Noodlers I've used). I can make my signature or write very quickly and the line consistency has never failed even with my extra fine nib.



On notebook paper and drawing pad paper the ink leaves no apparent feathering on the page, even with constant use. However, I use standard printer paper to fill out forms at work and I must say that I'm a tad dissapointed in the inks performance on printer paper. There is a lot of feathering, nothing severe, but noticible and slightly annoying. I do understand that not every ink will work on every type of paper so I'm not making a big deal out of it. I'm simply pointing out the drawbacks of this ink and what areas it does not perform at its best.



Overall this is a great ink with a beautiful color. La Coleur Royale gives me hope in other Noodler colors that I purchased after using this ink. I have used Noodler's Polar Black (which you can read the review on amazon) and after that I didn't think Noodlers was worth using. I now realize I was wrong. I highly recommend this ink for anyone who is looking for a smooth, wet, quick drying, ink that leaves a very consistent line quality. I also recommend this ink for anyone who is a fan of the color purple but isnt looking for a bright, flamboyant shade, but more of a professionally darker shade of the purple spectrum.

I've always using Noodler's ink when stealing a converter full for one of my various fountain pens. Finally, I made the switch from my usual daily grind with Namiki Blue-Black to some Noodler's La Coleur Royale. Boy, this ink is great.



Right out of the bottle, the ink flowed very nicely--and the neutral pH that is advertised is all that. Dipping a steel nib, gold or even the platinum group plated nib did not leave a trace left over. Very impressive.*



The colour believe it or not does not vary much with the nib used. Extra-fine through broad lay down a nice line that is not lighter or darker. The size of the nib is not the determiner, it's the pressure used when writing. Not many inks have a very similar colour in the various nibs (a broad nib often is darker and more saturated then your extra fine).



Speaking of colour, the ink looks nearly identical from what you see in the listing. Knowing full well that it is always difficult to judge ink from a computer screen you will not be disappointed. Purple ink is very rich, but the reason why I love this one so much compared to the others I've used is that this is a deep purple. Truly "royale." So, men out there, don't fret about being judged it is a masculine purple and just as professional as a blue-black ink.



Last of all, there is the lingering question about how it rests on paper. It's very forgiving. From moleskine notebooks (which some say feathers too much for fountain pens) to very inexpensive notebooks the ink lays down nicely. The only noticeable feathering comes from a broad nib on very inexpensive printer paper (not that awesome Xerox paper). So unless you're using 10 pence paper from a corner store, noodler's ink is some of the most forgiving out there.



All in all, I'm very happy with this ink and colour.



*Pens used for testing:

-Parker Chiseled Sonnet; Fine

-Namiki Vanishing Point; Medium

-Levenger True Writer; Fine

-Levenger True Writer; Broad

-Levenger (unmarked pen); Fine

-Pelikan Pelikano Junior; Extra Fine - Noodlers - Fountain Pen Ink - Ink Bottle - Fountain Pen'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Noodlers - noodlers, fountain pen ink fountain pen Noodlers - noodlers, fountain pen ink