Saturday 2 May 2009

Chain Saw - gas-powered, chain saw


This chainsaw has worked out well for us on our Avocado ranch. We bought 5 of them and let abusive employees use them on and off for about 5 years. We're down to three that still run. You can buy a replacement bar and a few chains for them and the engines will run for quite a while. After the engine goes, just toss them. We used to have an expensive Stihl which lasted even less time and then would have cost $250 to rebuild. We just threw it away and started using disposables. If you're not going to use it for a while, drain all the gas out or you'll be sorry. Poulan P3416 16-Inch 34cc 2-Cycle Gas-Powered Chain Saw

It's a Poulan. It has a powerful, but compact 34cc engine that didn't complain too much starting for the first time in 28 degree (F) weather. The instructions for starting the chainsaw are in pictures by the handle. The instruction manual was a little more technical, but cold starts are a snap. You pull the handle five times, then pump the little primer bulb 6 times, then pull till it starts.



It's got an Anti-vibration handle on it that really makes for comfortable operation of the saw. It is small, but you can feel its 11.8 pound mass after welding it for a couple of hours. The vibration is very low. The "sweet spot" on the cutting chain is right where you'd expect it to be. It is noisy, so wear ear plugs. The operation of the saw is cleaner than I expected. It directed saw dust away from me, but some dust did accumulate in the area where automatic chain oiler works - not an excessive amount, but it was noticeable. You definitely want to wear eye protection when using this or any saw. The instruction manual spends a lot of time discussing kickback. If you are careful and pay attention to your technique, you can minimize kickback and other problems. There is an inertia activated chain brake on the saw just in case though.



This saw is small and inexpensive. It's got plenty of power too. It fits well with the type of work that I need it for. I cleared the very large Bradford Pear tree in my front yard that was split open by an ice storm in just an hour and a half.



Highly recommend it for odd jobs and occasional work. Mine came with a one Year Guarantee too. The Poulan Chainsaw is Made in the USA.

Still own one of these saws, bought back when it was called a "Woodsman", nearly ten years ago. Have cut I don't know how many large trees down (some I had to walk around with it) since we moved to the country, and had many Live Oaks that developed oak wilt. Not light duty work, I've worked the heck out of it, cutting those large trees all the way to firewood. Still running, still strong. Have replaced the bar twice, the chain three times. Used it yesterday and it was leaking chain oil. Took it apart and cleaned it, think I fixed it. Will find out later today. If I didn't, I'm glad to find that I can buy another one like it right here on Amazon.



Wouldn't consider buying another brand, after the success I've had with this one.

This is a very nice chainsaw and it is a good value but I had several problems with it upon receiving it. First, I wasn't able to get it started. I followed the instructions and tried dozens of times to get it started. I even had a neighbor who used to use chainsaws for a living try to start it and it wouldn't start. I then sent it to the warranty place. A week later they called me to tell me they had no trouble starting it. I has to pay $30 for that diagnosis. When I was finally able to get it started on my own, it worked great. The other complaint I have is that tightening the chain is a very cumbersome process.

Poulan P3416 16-Inch 34cc 2-Cycle Gas Powered Chain Saw I had a faulty chain break and the saw froze after 2 uses. Poulan honored their warranty and replaced the saw. Once you get the idea of starting up, it is a good saw for the money.

This is my fifth chainsaw and has immediately become my favorite. The 16" bar is less than half the length of the bar of my Stihl 650. But unless I'm cutting down forest giants, I prefer to use the Poulan P3416. It cuts surprisingly fast, it weighs a whole lot less than the 650, it has excellent fuel capacity, and it is very sturdy. It's also the least noisy of all my saws, due in part to the fact that the exhaust exits the front of the saw.



Six pick-up loads of firewood later it's still cutting like a champ without so much as a touch-up to the chain. (I should mention that the auto-oiler works very well, yet bar oil doesn't leak all over the place like it does with the Stihl.) I highly recommend this saw. At this price, buy two! I rather think I will.

This is the first and only chainsaw I've ever owned. I bought it in 1999, I believe from Home Depot when they still sold Poulan in San Diego. I used it for clearing an easement that was heavily overgrown with sucker trees, and for lots of tree trimming and clearing of downed branches.



I've run through 2 blades, so it hasn't been VERY heavily used, but for the average homeowner I can't imagine you needing anything more than this saw. For the money, it's a bargain. Definitely drain it for storage as others have mentioned. I'm currently in the process of hunting down replacement fuel line, as it has crumbled after a few years of improper storage. I had to fully dissasemble and clean the carb and the rest of the unit, but it still works (well, it did last summer so I'm sure it will still run with the new lines installed). Highly recommended.

First, this saw has NEVER started on the first, second or even third pull. For $100, I wasn't expecting it to do so. However, it does start and eventually runs fine. They're stretching the engine a bit with the 16in bar. As well, the stock Poulan bar is too flimsy. Nonetheless, I've ran it now for 2 years for light/med duty on my 25acre homestead. Maintenance wise it's been a breeze and well worth the $100 I put into it.



Now here's the best part for me. After finally wearing out my 2nd chain for this bar...it was time to also replace the bar. Instead of another 16in Poulan bar, I purchased a 14in Oregon bar/chain package for $33. With this shorter/stronger bar and chain better matched to the engine size...this chainsaw is easily 100% better than new. It's speed and ease of cutting is phenomenal. I use it to take down birch and smaller pine and limbing larger trees that I fell.



In fact, I'm so enamored with this new setup, I'm now looking for a deal on a new/slightly-used Poulan Pro 4620 that I can do the same by matching to a smaller 18in Oregon bar, as my med/heavy duty saw. - Gas-powered - Chain Saw - Poulan - Chain Saws'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Chain Saw - gas-powered, chain saw chain saw Chain Saw - gas-powered, chain saw