Tuesday 12 May 2009

Lanterns - lights, lanterns


This is a very useful item, and the best of Coleman's mini lantern to date that I've tried. The frosted lens on this unit smooths out light emitted from the LED. The result is a soft, much more even light output that everyone will find pleasing. The adjust-ability of the light output is a real plus. On the lowest setting you can use it in the tent at night, or turn it on high for more light at dinnertime. The unit is small and light enough for backpacking unless you're a gram weenie.



I also have Coleman's micropacker with Cree LED that is priced similarly to this one. It has a clear lens and puts off way too many annoying artifacts,much like a poorly made discoball. Trust me, this is a much better light. I also have their basic yellow micropacker with LEDs that has about a $10.00 price tag. Its a good basic unit for those on a budget. But of those three I have tried, this model is the best and most versatile. Coleman 3AA High-Tech LED Mini Lantern

I bought a pair of these to use while tent camping.They are small but do put out a lot of light in a pleasing soft pattern. The dimmer is a nice touch allowing for longer battery life too. They seem well build and of good quality. The ring to hang them from the inside of a tent or a tree branch is made of metal. The lantern's brightness is adjustable with a large ring around the base of the plastic semi-transparent globe. It has six fixed brightnesses ranging from full to a very dim glow. The construction feels very solid and the fit between parts is good. They are not waterproof but look like they'd survive just fine out in the rain. The bottom is not sealed nor is the brightness ring. The on/off button is covered in rubber and is very simple to use. I've used these lanterns several times and they've functioned very well, some non-brand ones I picked up from a mail-order sporting goods store fared far worse with two of the three having their switch fail and the mounting rings breaking.

I bought this light to use as a general light when camping. I have 3 young kids, and they are constantly taking and playing with my flashlights. The kids are not always gentle, and this one looks and feels like it will survive them rather well.



The light output on fresh batteries seems rather decent. I have not let it run down to see how the light tracks with battery drain, but I have yet to find anything with LEDs that doesn't fade when the batteries are worn down. The light is more that useable on high. It managed to light up my 400sq ft bedroom without much trouble. This light is more than adequate to use as an emergency light, and it throws a really nice 360 degree light pattern. On low, it would make a good tent light/night light. It doesn't weight much, so it could be hung in the center of a tent without any issue. This is definately a decent light, and a good purchase for under $20. I have over a dozen LED lights (and I'm picky), and I would recommend this one to anybody looking for a well made light.



I also bought the Rayovac Sportman 300 lumen lantern. I alway have equated Rayovac with cheap build quality, but this lantern isn't too bad. Anyway, the low setting on the Rayovac is about equal to the high setting on this Coleman. The Rayovac definately beats it in brightness on the high setting, but I doubt it would survive one night with the kids. It is heavy (due to 3 D cells), but it does put out a fair amount of light. If you want the brightest light, buy the Rayovac. Both are good lights, but the Coleman is more stout and seems built to survive being dropped.

Wow, I was impressed by this lantern. I am a flashaholic with dozens of flashlights, all LED, from $100 lights to bargain lights like this. This light was a fantastic surprise. My only other small LED lantern is a Black Diamond Orbit which is more expensive and runs on 4xAAA cells instead of 3xAA. 3xAA have roughly twice the energy as 4xAAA. This light is much better. It weighs a tiny bit more and is larger, but build quality is almost as good and functionality is superior. The added height allows better distribution of light. The Coleman is much brighter on high and dimmer at the low setting. At the low setting it can guide your way for over 100 hours. At the bright setting it will bathe a room or campsite in a decent amount of light. The beam is relatively free of artifacts. I cannot detect any of the flickering of pulse width modulation that I have seen in other multi-setting lights. I would have preferred a slightly warmer tint LED, but this one is not overly blue. I was surprised by the build quality at this price. The dial adjustment with 6 settings is great, no cycling through levels that are too bright or dim, and no stupid blink mode. Simple and elegant design. Perfect for power outages or winter backpacking where the days or short and you want the luxury of a lighted area without much weight. I am going to order more. These are a great fit with eneloop rechargeables or the "Amazon Basics" low self discharge rechargeables. GET ONE.

Loved it so much will be buying another one. Love the fact that it is small, uses double A batteries (which we have to carry in the camper for mini flashlights and music player anyway), love the adjustable level of light, love the diffuser so placing the lamp near you does not blind you, and love it's ability to light a pretty large area for such a small lantern. Also, batteries seem to last quite well.

Ordered two in anticipation of the next power outage. They are very small but seem to give off a lot of light. Easy to carry around and I like the the metal loop at the top that you can use if you want to hang it. Also I like that it takes AAA batteries. It seems during a power outage all the D batteries get bought up but there are always AAA still left in the store.

I love this mini lantern. Do not get this if you need to light up an entire camp ground. This is a mini lantern that only takes 3AA batteries. The metal loop at the top works great with an S-clip on my bunk. There are several levels from lo to high for this lantern. So far I have about 50 hours mixed between lo and hi..and it still going strong. Great for reading or when you do not want to turn your high power 4D lanterns on. - Lanterns - Lights'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Lanterns - lights, lanterns lights Lanterns - lights, lanterns