Tuesday 12 May 2009

Cookbook Holder


I purchased this product in the expectation that it was rather large (per the picture showing a big book resting on it). Unfortunately it only holds books at a depth of 1.5 inches, which is useless for the programming books, and other textbooks I own. Also the stand doesn't have a lock, it is instead combined with the page holders on the front to create a rather cumbersome mechanism. The lack of any real helpful adjustments also made this purchase a regretful one. If you are going to use books of any real thickness, look elsewhere as I know I just wasted $10. Fellowes Wire Study Stand, Metal, 9.5 x 6 x 5.5 Inches, Silver (10024)

I was looking for a bookstand that would not take up too much space on my desk at work, could easily be folded for storage when not in use, and on which I could read both professional magazines and my Amazon Kindle. This unit does the trick, but has its shortcomings.



I have the following comments:



1.There is no practical way to adjust the angle at which books or magazines are read. The only way to decrease the angle is by moving the back legs of this unit wider apart, but doing so moves the front legs closer together to the point where you cannot place a book on them. The reading angle is a bit more than I would like, but I have gotten used to it.



2. This unit works fine on a small hardcover book (9x6x1), but not as well on a paperback book of the same size. The reason is that a hardcover book stays open more easily by itself, and the front legs on this unit do not keep a small paperback book fully open; you will have to press it with your hands to keep it fully open.



3. There is no problem with a larger paperback book (10x7.5x1.25) since the weight of the book is enough to keep it open.



4. This unit does not really work with any book thicker than 2 inches.



There are other bookstands that have angle adjustments and hold books more easily, particularly larger books. However, those bookstands are more expensive, take up more space on your desk, and do not store as easily as this unit. Therefore you need to decide what your needs are. While this unit has its shortcomings, it is relatively inexpensive and easy to handle.



My primary use is reading my Kindle and magazines. For that this unit is adequate.

I am a law student and was getting sick of leaning over my books all the time. I bought this and it has worked well. My books fit into it and it is portable. Sure if I designed a book holder it would be a bit different, but I didn't and this one serves its purpose.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Cookbook Holder Cookbook Holder Cookbook Holder