Tuesday 3 February 2009

Walking - walking, fitness


I've never used a pedometer before but decided to get this to help give me some measurable figures when I work out. I've had this device for about a week and what I really like about it is I can just pick it up, put it in my pocket and just go (running, walking, etc) and it will automatically start taking measurements. I don't have to worry about turning it on and setting it up before I start. I've started just putting it in my pocket at when I'm at work and seeing how many steps I take it each and how far I've walked. It's interesting to see how much walking I do even though our office building is pretty small. I would definitely recommend this little device to anyone who works out or would like to improve their health through exercise and is looking for an easy to use, reliable product. Ozeri 4x3motion Digital Pocket 3D Pedometer with Tri-Axis Technology

I have it for a couple of weeks now. Will come back later to update.



Likes:

1) Does appear to count the steps reasonably well

2) Small and easily fits into pockets



Dislikes:

1) Way off on kcals and distance, even though I had set the step length quite accurately. I have a Polar heart rate monitor and a treadmill and while the kcal reading of the heart rate monitor and the treadmill are quite similar, the kcal reading on the pedometer differ considerably with the other two.

2) Within the first week of use, the unit reset by itself and all my initial settings were lost. NOTE: Make sure you don't lose the little manual that comes with it so that you can go back and change the initial settings. Getting into the mode to change the settings is non-intuitive and you'll certainly need to follow the manual.

3) Resets the step count to zero after a week

4) A bit pricey considering the quirks and lack of features





Recommendation: Given what I know now I would not buy it.

I do a lot of walking and try to get a minimum of 10,000 steps a day completed. I record my steps each day. I've gone through 8 other pedometers, most which I lost because they fell off my belt. I can carry this pedometer in my pocket and it accurately tracks my steps. I like the fact that is stores several days of walking information, which I can retrieve when I want, and it automatically resets to 0 at the beginning of each day. In the past it was very frustrating to walk around 6 miles and accidentally bump the reset button on a pedometer and not know how many steps I actually walked. With this pedometer, I don't have to worry about that now. I am totally pleased with it and highly recommend it.

I purchased my pedometer to start measuring my steps per day. I've heard that a good step goal each day is 10,000 steps. This pedometer works great. It came nicely packaged, battery included. It was easy to store your personal information inside. I've used a different one in the past, but I found this one to be much more accurate and user-friendly. It even stores your steps 7 days a week. It's a nice feature to be able to look back and see how many steps you took in a week! Great buy!!

It's not flexible enough for my needs. The daily counter resets itself once a day out of your control. I've been trying using the "split" function so that I can measure a specific trip - I can get it to reset but its supposed to disengage after 10 seconds of not walking and it does not. Even if it did, that's not flexible enough. In addition, riding in the car makes it think I'm walking (100+ steps after 5 miles of driving)-and without a reset, these things are a pain. You can't hold it in your hand and look at it if your walking- it only measures about 1 of every 2 steps that way. There's no clip for attaching to a belt/hip. The lanyard isn't something I can use, especially since instructions say that if its not secure but bangs around it will not work right - I don't wear the pedometer around my neck that I guess the lanyard is for. Not accurate for stop and start walking, but I guess none of this technology would be. The indicators like miles/hour are very tiny, but you can memorize the order. The instruction booklet is typical translated from foreign language. I decided to order this one instead of the omron because the weight was listed as lighter on this one- but I wonder if the omron one was just a misprint. Omron is only 5 dollars more, and I'm guessing their Trip function works better than this ones Split function and I think it has a clip. This one is cute, lightweight and does seem to count accurately for steady walking. This is my first move up from the old mercury switch wear on the hip pedometer- i'm not sure I'm so impressed. But I'll keep it - I need one now and the time it would take to send it back and see if I like the omron any better isn't worth it.

I've owned a couple of the Omron devices (which appear to be the market leaders ever since the 10,000 step meme came to the fore) and I've given a few as presents. It always struck me as being a bit magical that this oblong thing in your pocket could keep track of your walking through the course of the day.



I hadn't carried one for a while, both because I was satisfied I was moving around enough on a daily basis, and because carrying the Omron is not a no-cost proposition. The Omrons use a two-axis sensor, and so need to have their short axis (the thickness of the device) NOT vertical... that's the axis it can't "see" motion in. The design of the Omron takes care of this nicely: it either goes in its belt clip (oh goody... more borg devices to have hanging off what's becoming my utility belt), or in a pocket, where its overall shape pretty much guarantees it'll be in a workable orientation: the short access will always rotate to be perpendicular to your leg, because of the compressing nature of pants pockets. Clever design!



However... that oblong or shield-shaped form factor that orients the device properly in your pocket also takes up a lot of space. Have an Omron in your pocket, along with a few business cards and you pretty quickly start looking like a victim of kangarooitis, with pockets bulging in unflattering ways. :) So carrying the Omron-style device is not without its cost to your overall convenience.



When I saw the Ozeri device, I was intrigued, because a 3-axis device wouldn't have the same limitations the 2-axis devices do. It looked small, and seemed a "next generation" design. I thought I'd give it a try.



Wow. What a difference! This little gizmo can hang around your neck, or ride in a pocket (along with other items, very comfortably) and work just fine! It's substantially smaller than my old favorite. The jury's out on durability and such; I'll update this review when I know more on that front, but so far I'd call the Ozeri 4x3motion Pocket 3D Pedometer a clear win! - Walking - Step Counter - Exercise - Fitness'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Walking - walking, fitness step counter Walking - walking, fitness