Tuesday 3 February 2009

Hard Drive Upgrade - hard disk, hard drive upgrade


Upgraded my 60 GB Toshiba to the WD3200BEVE in my Dell Inspiron 600m and it is working great so far, just did it a few days ago! Much quieter drive and does not get as hot as the Toshiba drive. The 137 GB barrier was not an issue due to Windows XP SP1 (I have SP3) and WD Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 for Windows. Windows had no problem seeing the whole 320 GB and Data Lifeguard Tools did the rest, I now have 250 GB of extra space to extend the life of my laptop. I also bought 2 sticks of the Crucial 1 GB PC2700 RAM so for less then $200.00 combined I got two great upgrades.



Other Thoughts: Don't forget the adapter on the end of your old hard drive, the (UDMA) adapter to plug from the hard drive EIDE connector into the motherboard. Hope this may help someone who does not know. Western Digital 160 GB Scorpio Blue 100 Mb/s 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive - WD1600BEVE

This Western Digital PATA-IDE 320GB DRIVE works great in my Powerbook 1.67mhz, G4, Mac os10.4

It was easy to install, runs quiet, fast, no issues. Thumbs UP.

This was the largest drive I could find for my old Mac, Running OSX-10.4 that was PATA.

I installed the Scorpio Blue 120 GB IDE hard drive (HD) in my Toshiba MX35 laptop and am pleased with the results. Western Digital's (WD) Lifeguard software that is used to make a clone of your existing HD did not work for me. It ran but I could not boot from the new cloned drive. If you can do a reinstall of your software on the new HD using your recovery CD you will probably be happier.



Removing the old drive was very easy. Just remember to take the IDE connector (pops off) and face plate (2 screws) from the old HD and install on the new HD.



If you do a reinstall, make sure that you have the installation CD's and license keys where required to do the re-install and you will need a fast Internet connection to download all of the updates for your software.



If your old HD still works, export/copy as many customization files as possible. For instance, bookmarks from your browser, address book and IAF export (defines your POP3 connections) from Outlook, etc. You will still need to manually setup a number of customizations (system time, wallpaper, etc.) which is tricky for non-expert PC users.

Needed to replace the OEM hard drive for my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. Had this installed in the computer in less than 5 minutes (only 4 screws) used Ghost to re-image the new hard drive, and was up and running in about an hour. Did not have to do anything special, did not need to format or partition the new hard drive. This is the way to go if your looking to replace your existing hard drive. So far the hard drive is working very well. Is faster, but that may be due to the fact that the OEM hard drive was going bad. Would recommend this hard drive for anyone looking to replace/update their laptop.

I purchased this drive to replace the 7200 RPM Hitachi 80 GB drive that originally came on an aging IBM Thinkpad. I am happy with the product. Compared to the original hard drive, it is very quiet, runs much cooler, and despite its slower 5400 RPM rating has a very noticeably faster data transfer rate (which I attribute to higher data densities).



Installation was easy with the help of a Vantec SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter, also from Amazon (highly recommended, despite poor manual), the free for personal use DriveImg XML software, and another PC I borrowed. I removed the original drive from the Thinkpad, attached it to the other PC via the Vantec USB adapter, copied the contents to that PC via DriveImg XML, deattached the old drive from the borrowed PC, attached the new Western Digital drive to that PC via the Vantec USB adapter, partititioned the new Western Digital drive (still on the borrowed PC) with the Windows XP disk manager ( Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management), and used DriveImg XML to copy the data I had temporarily stored in the borrowed PC to an appropriate partition in the new Western Digital drive. I then marked that partition as "active" in the XP disk manager.



At that point I deattached the new Western Digital drive from the borrowed PC and the Vantec USB adapter, installed it on the Thinkpad I was upgrading, turned on the power switch and....things worked just fine and have worked just fine for several months.



Given I am happy with the drive, that I need another external USB drive for backups, and that it is difficult to find big PATA drives, I'll order another one and use it as an external USB drive for backups via the Vantec adapter. Like that I'll have a spare PATA drive just in case I need it.

Bought this as an upgrade for a smaller (max'd out) drive on my Dell Lap Top. It worked very well, quiet and quick access. I would have liked the install disk though. Had to download from the WD website and burn a boot disk in order to get things going. A minor nuisance, to be sure, but nevertheless an extra step.

I bought this to back up a failing hard drive in my 6 year old Dell laptop. I also purchased the Apricorn EZ-UP-UNIVERSAL EZ Upgrade Universal Notebook Hard Drive Upgrade Kit. This made the transition very easy.

I was actually trying to replace a 40GB drive for an older compaq presario v2000, and was not able to find one that size, but since these things are standard, I sure could use the extra storage. I installed the same day it arrived, and worked like a charm. Installed new OS an I had a "new" laptop again...



This model is actually faster than the drive I had before, so things are a little bit faster. I have been using the drive for a couple of weeks and have not had any problems...

Installed as a replacement drive in a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop after the original drive started to give up. Did research at Dell and other websites, got good info on the type of drive that seemed to work best. Laptop and drive work great. Drive is fast and quiet. It was very easy to install. I couldn't be happier with this purchase. - Hard Disk - Hard Drive - Hard Drive Upgrade - Notebook'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Hard Drive Upgrade - hard disk, hard drive upgrade hard drive upgrade Hard Drive Upgrade - hard disk, hard drive upgrade