Wednesday 24 December 2008

Rechargeable Batteries - low discharge nimh, amazonbasics


I just finished testing one set of those AmazonBasics AA NiMH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, using my old La Crosse BC-900 Charger/Analyzer. Here are my findings:



- Right out of the box, their average remaining charge is 1946mAh. The spread is very small, ranging from 1933 to 1959mAh. Note that the date code on those cells says 'MAR2011', so they probably left factory just two months ago. Still, those numbers are really impressive.



- After just one recharge/discharge cycle (done at 700/350mA), the average capacity improved to 2217mAh. That is about 11% higher than the rated capacity of '2000mAh'. Again the spread is small, varying from 2200 to 2250mAh. Those numbers remain unchanged in subsequent recharge/discharge cycles.



It is interesting to note that: performances of those AmazonBasics Pre-Charged AA cells are nearly identical to that of GP ReCyko AA cells, which I have tested last November. So I won't be surprised if those 'AmazonBasics' cells turn out to be rebranded GP ReCyko.



Just for comparison, the NEW Sanyo eneloop AA cells are also rated for 2000mAh typical, but the average capacity I measured is around 2130mAh, or 'only' 6% higher than rated. On the other hand, Sanyo claims the second-generation eneloop cells can be recharged up to 1500 cycles, whereas GP and AmazonBaisc NiMH batteries are rated for 'only' 1000 cycles. In real life, most people will probably never notice the difference.





In summary, all three brands I mentioned above (Sanyo, GP and AmazonBasics) are excellent products. They all live up to the claim of "pre-charged and ready to use right out of the pack", and offer even higher capacities than rated. So just go by which brand is on sale, and you can't go wrong.



[Aside]

Most battery makers are touting their products as 'Advanced', 'Platinum', 'Ultra', and so on. Why oh why does Amazon simply call those superior batteries 'AmazonBasics'? If this is 'Basic', I can't wait to test the 'AmazonPrime' batteries!



[Aside#2]

Those AmazonBasics Pre-charged NiMH batteries are in black, which (to me) makes them look like disposable alkaline cells. On the other hand, the AmazonBasics Alkaline Batteries are in white, which makes them look like rechargeable cells. I really wish the color scheme were the other way around. AmazonBasics AA NiMH Precharged Rechargeable Batteries (8-Pack, 2000 mAh)

With all the pre-charged batteries from different manufacturers out there now, there is no need for 1-time use alkaline batteries anymore.



Using my Lacrosee BC-700 battery charge/test function, the 4 "AA" batteries performed as follows:



Battery 1 = 2,200 mAh

Battery 2 = 2,140 mAh

Battery 3 = 2,170 mAh

Battery 4 = 2,190 mAh

(See picture I took on customers' submitted images)



Straight from the box, the batteries show remaining voltages of 1.31V (see pic above). All packs more juice compared to its rated capacity of 2000 mAh, which is comparable to the capacities of Eneloops and Duracell.



I have been using pre-charged batteries for everything now, from toys, digital cameras, clocks, to remote controls.

I have used/tested most AA NIMH rechargeable batteries made, from the big names as Sanyo, Rayovac, Duracell to Soshine, Ikea and other lesser known (and quality names). As mentioned by Nlee the name and look of the of the batteries has a bit to be desired, but behind the name and look is a quality product.



Right out of the box the 8 batteries measured between 1.29 to 1.33 and the initial mAh was 1930 to 1963 with the same production date as Nlee (March 2011) and almost a month later from Nlee's purchase.



I split the batteries between La Crosse Technology BC-9009 and the Maha Powerex Wizard One. Charge/test of the BC-9009 yielded an average of 2162 and on the MH-C9000 using the "break-in" setting they yielded an average of 2227.



They are reasonably priced, good charge right out of the box, and they are true to its ratings. What else can you ask for?

The batteries arrived as advertised completely pre-charged. They replaced Energizers (model NH15BP4) that couldn't hold a charge for more than a day (which is standard for Energizer rechargeables... just read the reviews).



However, these Amazon batteries caused our Canon SX110 digital camera to malfunction. The lens would not autofocus. I searched online and read digital cameras can be picky about batteries. We tried other batteries in the camera later that day and it worked perfectly. I checked the Amazon batteries on a La Crosse Technology BC-700, which I highly recommend, and they were fine. I'm chalking it up to the Canon is just picky. Aside from that one hiccup, these batteries are amazing when it comes to holding a charge.



I'm using them primarily in my Uniden scanner and they work great.



I'll try to update this review in the future.

Bought these to replace the batteries in some outside back patio solar lights. The stock batteries were aprox 600-800mha and would last from dark until about midnight and then fading was visible. With the new batteries in place, I can get up at 4 in the morning and everything is just as bright as when they first turned on at dusk. Exactly what I wanted. I am ordering 2 more sets of 8 very soon as I have now added more solar lights (rope lights this time) to the property.



The only downside to this is that I have found 1 of the 8 batteries is failing. I have switched which solar light it is in to make sure it is not a matter of placement or charging but one battery is weak. Wish I could return just the one, but the others still make this a great purchase and great value. I would give 5 stars otherwise, and still recommend this product anyway.

I use these for my camera (Canon PowerShot SX130IS), which is notorious about running out the batteries quite quickly. Right off the package, they are charged well, and going strong after many shots. Only problem is that the design of the batteries look like regular disposable batteries, so I'll have to warn my family member to not to throw away... - Low Discharge Nimh - Amazonbasics'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Rechargeable Batteries - low discharge nimh, amazonbasics low discharge nimh Rechargeable Batteries - low discharge nimh, amazonbasics