Wednesday 24 December 2008

Novelty Cake Pans - baking, birthday


Bottom Line Up Front: Worked as advertised.



My daughter flipped over seeing this on TV. I read the reviews, both on and off Amazon, and decided to give it a shot.



When it arrived, I received the three pieces in good condition. It was not in retail packaging but rather a plain white box. This may bother some, but I was fine with it. Inside the box were three silicone pieces as well as an instruction sheet and an idea/recipe book.



I sprayed the cooking surfaces with nonstick spray. Using a Duncan Hines butter cake mix, I split the batter almost evenly into the top and the bottom. In retrospect, I put too much in the bottom, not realizing how much each of the parts would rise during baking. BTW, the instruction sheet recommends splitting the batter in half. Mixed and baked at 375 degrees as directed by the cake mix instructions and set the timer to 35 minutes. I chose 35 minutes because the instructions advise this time; additionally, the instructions also advise that the top piece will cook faster than the bottom piece.



35 minutes later, I tested the top by inserting a wooden skewer. I found that the top piece was not cooked all the way through, so I lowered the temperature (once again, as directed by the instruction sheet) to 325 and let it cook for another 10 minutes.



After another 10 minutes, I found the top was finished. Removing the filling insert from the top of the bottom mold, I found that the bottom portion had cooked just fine. The result was a ginormous two piece cupcake.



I have no affiliation with whoever makes this product. I don't even like to bake. You'll notice that in my review, I refer to the direction sheet quite a bit. I do that to make a point: while your mileage may vary, the guidance provided with this product is adequate to bake an huge gut-bomb cupcake, which is the whole reason I bought it in the first place. Allstar Marketing BT011106 Big top Cupcake

I was a little nervous to try this due to the unfavorable reviews on this. However, I made a cupcake for the first time today and it turned out great! It seems small but its an entire cake mix, so I suppose you need to just slice it thinner.



I used a boxed devil's food cake mix for my first try. I sprayed the pans LIBERALLY with Pam, not just the bottom like they advise. I put my oven on 330 degrees, not 350. It took about 40-45 minutes to bake, honestly I don't know the exact time because I checked it often. The directions ARE right though, the bottom takes approximately 10 minutes longer than the top.



Both the top and the bottom came out near-perfect. The bottom burned a tiny bit but not badly at all. They came out of the molds easily too.



It takes about a can of frosting to cover the entire thing.

I have used this item 3 times and each time the cupcake pieces came out easily with plenty of spray used. I also tried it with the insert as well. It is important to cool the pieces completely before frosting. I also used a type of frosting cement to help "glue" the pieces together. It was a big hit at the office and for a little girl's party. It can serve plenty of people. Dishwasher safe.

My kids saw the ads for this on Nickelodeon and begged for it. I gave in for my daughter's 6th birthday. Our results were good, and when decorated the cake was great. We love it! A couple notes: the instructions provided with the set aren't great. They say that the bottom takes longer than the top to cook. I found the opposite to be true -- especially when using the insert. And if you do any cake mix doctoring the times can be very different from the instructions. I've baked it for as long as an hour (convection oven at 325 degrees, which matches 350 degrees in regular oven). None of my boxed cake mixes say to bake at 375, which might be why previous reviewer had burnt the outside before the inside was fully cooked. The insert has worked well each time we use it, you do have to make sure it's snapped in all the way around. I never cut cake off the top layer before assembling, works fine. MORAL OF THE STORY: this works, just set your timer for the time on the box indicated for BUNDT cake (because it's thick like a bundt), test with a pick, be prepared to bake longer if needed until it tests done. It's so much fun to decorate and you get a great reaction when you serve it. - Birthday - Baking - Cupcake - Novelty Cake Pans'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Novelty Cake Pans - baking, birthday novelty cake pans Novelty Cake Pans - baking, birthday