Wednesday 10 December 2008

Kindle 3 Case - kindle 3, kindle covers


I spent a lot of time going over all the Kindle cases and ended up buying two: This one and the M Edge executive case. I doubt I will ever use the M Edge case because it has an awful chemical smell to it and it is big and rather bulky. The Acase cover however is perfect. Now, don't do what I did and try to get the Kindle in there with the cushioning that comes with it. That cushioning comes out first and then the Kindle goes in. (I thought the cushioning added extra protection for the device, but apparently it is just there for shipping.)



For those of you that get this along with your brand new Kindle, save the plastic protective clear covers that come on the front and back of the Kindle. I put one of those on the smooth leather side of the Acase case that is supposed to lie on the table surface when you have it raised. The plastic thing is the perfect size, doesn't have any adhesive to hurt the leather (not sure how it stays on there) and is very easy to wipe off. So for everyone that complained that this cover will get dirty if you stand it up, that is a nice solution.



I also bought an M edge light and it fits great with this case. I stuck in the left side next to the buttons (which I don't need to press because the buttons on the other side of the Kindle do the same thing). Then I turn the light up and flatten it against the side and over the top when I am done. When I flip the cover closed it covers right over the light and gives it a little protection. It won't protect it like the M Edge case will, but it keeps it all neatly packaged when closed.



That little cover flap got in my way while reading so I just tuck it in behind the Kindle on top not only does this get it out of the way, but it secures the whole case while reading.



When stood up, this case is secure enough. Oh, I can knock it over and so can my cat, but as long as there aren't significant forces against it, it will stay put. And it is incredibly handy. Who ever thought you would use the Kindle for recipes and things where you would WANT to stand it up? Turns out to be quite useful. Those little slots in the front are for when you open it up and you use the brace to fit into those slots. Each slot gives you a different position for raising your Kindle.



I find the quality on this to be very nice. I love the look of it closed. The leather is lovely and rivals any case out there. Open, it fits like a glove (once you have removed that packing cushion...duh!). It is a tiny bit bulky, but all the covers are and that is the point...to provide a little bulk to protect the Kindle. It is no heavier than any other case I have seen.



I would have purchased the official Amazon case until I read review after review of people having their Kindle shorted out by the metal clips that holds it in. Then I went looking and found this one and thought I might want that stand up feature. I can't imagine living without it.



I highly suggest getting the M edge light to go with this. It is a wonderful little light that will stay where you put it and it covers the whole screen. Plus, when you stick it on the site it provides a little place to hold the Kindle while reading so you don't hit those side buttons accidentally. I also find the Kindle a tiny bit dark, so unless I am in very bright light, I like to use this light while reading all the time.



For the price you can't beat this. (Actually, I would have been happy if this had cost three times as much, but don't tell Amazon that. I think it is a really nice case.) And hey, you can always get an extra case. Acase Genuine Leather Flip Case for Kindle 3 with Multiple Position Stand (Black)

So I finally got a Kindle 3, and I'm so glad I waited instead of buying with the 1st generation. I spent a lot of time researching cases once I had decided I was going to purchase the Kindle 3, and decided the characteristics I wanted/needed were:

- Sturdy and protective for carrying around, primarily out of the house

- Not too bulky

- Able to put into a stand position for hands-free reading

- Not hideous in overall appearance



There are several options out there including the case I originally had planned to go with, the M-Edge Platform Kindle Jacket. This cover looks slim, sharp in appearance, and is more than double the price of the Acase cover. There is also the Duragadget Kindle cover which is, as far as I could tell, exactly the same as the Acase cover on this page, but about $10 more expensive.



What I liked about the Acase cover from the description and reviews:

- Appeared pretty sturdy, and had a secure way to hold the Kindle (not just corner-mounted elastic or leather bands)

- Allowed multiple positions for the stand feature

- Cheap!



I bought the red color which doesn't appear available on Amazon right now, for less than $20 (not black because I wanted it to be visible inside bags). Delivery was quick and it came before my Kindle did (granted, the Kindle was ordered right before Xmas when for a brief period of time it did not ship for 3-5 days). I was pleased with the appearance of the cover and eagerly awaited my Kindle. The Kindle itself I LOVE, but that would have to be the subject of a different review! It fits perfectly into the Acase cover. You do have to kind of shove it down in there to get it all the way down to where everything aligns best, and to remove it you also have to push up with your thumbs quite firmly (couldn't really pull from the top initially as the Kindle's too thin and slippery) - this latter point was reassuring that the Kindle couldn't just fall out the top end easily.



The cover does add quite a bit of bulk to the Kindle though it's not heavy. For some people, including my mother-in-law, this was a good thing since some find the naked Kindle sort of insubstantial and difficult to hold. I personally prefer holding the Kindle without a case since one of the great things about it is the slim form factor and light weight. Also, when holding it in the case to read, you have to either hold just the part of the case enclosing the Kindle, meaning the flap hinging from the bottom just flaps down, or else fold the bottom flap up underneath and hold the entire thickness of the case in your hands. I personally don't really like this and when I'm at home I usually read without the case.



The exception is when I'm reading at the kitchen table....or any place where I can't lean one elbow somewhere (like the couch arm). I find holding the Kindle in one hand (while eating for example) is tiring. This is where the case is really great - I slip the Kindle in and set up the stand, and then just reach out and push the "next" button as needed for the next page. I liked the idea of the multi-position stand, but so far I always use the highest (most vertical) setting, and am honestly not sure now when I would want it in a flatter position. Nice to have the option there, though, I guess. Another reviewer stated that the part of the flap that goes against the screen is, in stand position, down against the table, leading to the potential for dirt/crumbs/etc. to go on to the screen. I just take a look at that surface and brush it off if necessary.



One reviewer of this or the Duragadget (essentially same) cover stated she was able to stand up the Kindle in bed and read it by flipping the orientation. As I read every night and dislike holding anything too heavy (I have wrist/forearm issues and even holding my iPod Touch or Blackberry was sometimes tiring), I was hoping this would work out for me. It didn't, but I'm able to hold the naked Kindle (plus light - I got the Mighty Bright Xtra Flex 2 - purchased after MUCH research and definitely recommended) and ideally, prop it partly on another pillow, and it works overall great for me.



I haven't taken it out of the house yet, but I would definitely put it into the case, which has a magnetic flap to hold it closed. I would feel pretty secure about this case with the only potential issue being stuff (crumbs, whatever) getting inside and against the Kindle screen. However, this is a potential problem with nearly all the cases except those that zipper all the way around.



Overall, for build, price, and features, this was a definite WIN. I definitely recommend it. - Dissapointed - Kindle Covers - Kindle Accessory - Kindle 3'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Kindle 3 Case - kindle 3, kindle covers dissapointed Kindle 3 Case - kindle 3, kindle covers