Wednesday 10 December 2008

Air Pollution - air pollution, n95


These particulate respirators work very well, blocking out nuisance dust such as sawdust. I use them both at home and on the job. They are rated N95 for particulates and do a very good job filtering out the vast majority of dust and particles. This is a style slightly different from the molded ones you may be used to seeing at most big box stores.



The mask comes in individual plastic bags and are folded flat. I like that they are individually packaged, as I have had problems both at jobsites and at my workshop keeping fresh masks from being contaminated with dust when they are all nested together in one bag. Not a problem when each mask has its own wrapper. Also, you know when you take it out that it hasn't been used by someone else and then put back.



These also have the comfort valve, as you see in the picture. A light, flexible flap opens when you exhale, but immediately shuts when you inhale. It is protected by a surprisingly sturdy plastic cage, emblazoned with the 3M logo. This valve makes a huge difference, especially in hot climates. It makes a huge difference in both heat and moisture retention; making the mask markedly more comfortable vastly increases the likelihood that it will be worn when needed by you, your employees, or whomever. This is a critical feature, in my opinion, and worth the extra dough over those without it. In colder climes, or when one only needs to use the mask for short periods, you might be able to do without the vent and save a few bucks.



One very nice thing about this mask over the pre-molded versions is that the chin portion opens up to actually cover my entire chin by snugging up under it. For me, this gives a better fit than the molded ones that just seem to sit on top of my chin. I've got to give the comfort edge to these. Like the molded version, these masks also have a thin metal strip that you can mold to the bridge of your nose. On the inside of this strip is a broad and soft strip of foam, sufficiently thick (about 1/8 inch) to conform to the contours of your nose when using the metal clamp.



My only complaint about these otherwise excellent respirators revolves around the straps. I think they could be more robust. While they are strong enough not to break, I find they stretch out too easily and lose elasticity, especially if you find yourself taking the mask on and off, or reusing it over time. It is true that these are extremely comfortable to wear - indeed they are the most comfortable I've found - I would prefer if they held the mask just a little tighter to my face. The straps themselves are held to the mask by staples, an arrangement I also don't prefer, but I've never had one snap or slip loose from this point.



These are more expensive than the pre-molded versions, but I the additional comfort and individual packaging makes it worth it to me. There are other brands that are also N95-rated, but I trust my lungs to these, which have never failed me. I do want to mention one cautionary note about any filter: They do clog eventually. When insulating my attic with blow-in insulation, my respirator got so clogged I could barely breathe through it. While they did their job and no dust got through, a clogged filter can be dangerous so check your filters/respirators often if you are in extreme conditions.



The issue over the straps is a minor one for me, really, and doesn't keep me from going back to these masks over others. They are well made and very comfortable. They are excellent for dusty environments around the home, and also for appropriate work settings. I also include these particular ones in my emergency kits for home, auto, and work. Recommended! 3M R9211-10 N95 Cool-Flow Particulate Sanding Respirator, 10-Pack

I've used hundreds of these. 3M sells the N95 mask with or without the air valve, different color and position straps, etc. all with the same title. I like these best. The valve makes it easier to breath so it doesn't get so hot and humid in the mask. The comfort to some extent will depend on how you bend the nose piece. Give the metal a smooth bend to follow the nose contour rather than a sharp bend. I've used this while cutting cement, sanding, shaking out shop-vac filters, and crawling around in the dusty attic. When they're cheap to buy and convenient to grab from the drawer, you're likely to use them more.

I bought several boxes of these masks last year as H1N1 was starting up. I travel a lot on airplanes, take the underground metro to work every day, and generally have to breath not so great air. I've tried several other N95 masks and this one is the best. Unlike stiff paper masks, this fits snug and comfortably. It is not difficult to breath, even for many hours. I've worn them on Trans-Pacific plane flights without discomfort. In addition to helping protect me from virus infection and pollens, my primary goal, I've noticed this mask does a great job in cities filtering out dust and particulates from automobiles. You can positively tell the difference in air quality when you wear it. The mask doesn't do anything for noxious gases, but for particulates it is great. Recommended. - Respirator - Air Pollution - N95 - Flu Mask'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Air Pollution - air pollution, n95 flu mask Air Pollution - air pollution, n95