Monday 17 October 2011

Video Camera Stabilizer


As an independent and very low budget filmmaker, I needed a handheld rig that would allow for steady and smooth camera work, would be affordable, and would be versatile enough to use in several applications. I stumble across the Fig Rig while researching handheld rigs. I was very skeptical on how well the Fig Rig would work, considering it is a giant steering wheel. When I went to the photo store to purchase (on spec) the Fig Rig, I laughed out loud and exclaimed "what a piece of crap, this won't work." To my glee, it is friggin' phenomenal. It is lightweight and easy to use. Most importantly it is effective. You can actually run with this thing and produce a usable image comparable to and even better than lightweight Steadycams and FlowCams. Love it love it love it!

Oh by the way, I rigged a Panasonic AG-DVX100 to the rig. Took about 20 seconds to balance and off you go. Not sure how it would work with a heavier camera such as the Cannon XL-1. Manfrotto 595B Fig Rig Video Camera Stabilizer Support

I'm not a DP myself, but I bought it for our film after watching the horror film [REC]. We even talked with the DP of that film, Pablo Rosso, who recommended it. We're shooting with the Panasonic HVX200 just as they did, and while I just threw my Sony VX2000 on it to try it out, it was amazing!! Unbelievably lightwieght - - makes you almost wonder where that money is going - - but in the end, it's worth it.



The stability it provides, by having both arms extended, versus have your arms tucked in to your body, holding a shoulder cam is amazing. Even with the weight of the camera, it felt lighter than normal. Definately worth it, to have a cheaper "steadicam", and avoid the shaky-cam look.

I ultimately decided to go with the figrig over any type of stabalizing arm because of its ability to shoot sideways or upside down. Extremely easy to handle, and it didn't require any construction. It's delivered ready to go.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Video Camera Stabilizer Video Camera Stabilizer