Monday 17 October 2011

2-way Radio - motorola, walkie talkie


These 2 way radios work great over a 1/2 mile radius (our most commonly used range). Apart from the initial 16 hour charge, they work right out of the box (actually one of those pesky clamshells you have to cut open) without having to read the instructions. Each unit comes with a rechargeable battery pack and a removable plastic belt clip, and share a charging base station with 2 slots. If the battery goes flat, you can use 3 regular AA's instead. There's a button to ring your team before talking, and if you don't like the sound, there are 2 more options to choose from. There is also a socket to plug in an optional headset.



Motorola is honest enough to prominently display on the package that in urban areas, the 16 mile rating translates into a 1 mile working range. However at this distance, with many buildings only 2 storeys high, and on a channel that transmits full power, I can hear the other set transmit but not well enough to understand what is being said.



I actually bought them for my son. My experience with kid versions of electronics is that they cost almost as much, are not as well made, and end up in the land fill very shortly after. However, the electro magnetic radiation warning in the instructions did give me pause. We've ended up using them on channels that work at half power. My kid loves using them. The only down side is that his fingers get tired pressing the 'Push To Talk' button after a while.



i'm pleasantly surprised that this entry level offering is not a stripped down product. I've dropped one radio on a wooden floor already, and it survived without a scratch. The battery cover didn't even come off. I highly recommend them to any casual user. Motorola Talkabout MC220R 16-Mile 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radio (Pair)

Exactly what I wanted... I only use these on occasion for car drives where I need to keep a bunch of people gathered and organized en route to another place or just for a drive. The range on these is awesome and the whole time I had to communicate with the other walkie talkie from this set I could hear him perfectly. Other two-ways were on our channel in the group with varying ranges, and my set was by far the best.. For the price you can't beat it.

These are exactly what i wanted, the have an awsome range, and i can here everyones voice very clearly! I mainly use these for camping, but they are also good for my sons airsoft wars! I think that it is well wot=rth the $33.00! GET TWO!!! It comes with a rechargable battary, and a stand to plug them into to charge! they have 23 channels, and you can scant to see if anyone ealse is on one of those 23 channels, as long as someone is talking.



Great, I strongly recccomend these for communication over ares between 5 ft, and 16 miles!!!! Though like all walkie talkies if they are too close together they make a high pitches buzzing sound(0-4ft)

As another reviewer already pointed out channels 1-7 and 15-22 on this radio are GMRS ("General Mobile Radio Service") frequencies, and require an FCC license. Channels 8-14 are FRS ("Family Radio Service") frequencies, and can be used legally without a license, but are lower power and shorter range. The GMRS license is expensive ($75, i.e. more than twice the cost of the radios).



Not only are you required to have a license, but you must ID legally on the air by transmitting your callsign (issued with the license) every 15 minutes during a long transmission and at the end of all transmissions (FCC rules part 95.119).



I doubt more than 5% of the people who own and use these radios have a license, and I've never heard one ID on the air (for the record, I do have a license, callsign WQIH229).

Got these for a trip in which my wife and I would be traveling in separate cars. While we do both have cell phones, the instant nature of the walkie talkies is a much wanted benefit. Overall, I'd say they performed admirably. The only instance where we lost communication was when my wife's mother inadvertently turned the volume down on their radio. I'd estimate that at times we were 4 to 5 miles apart, and on an open interstate the reception never faltered. There was some static at longer distances, but we could still hear each other. We've tried them in the neighborhood, and with her in our hi rise building, and me 3 blocks away inside a drugstore, we were still able to communicate.

An added "bonus" in the screwed up world in which we live, is that if there is some sort of man made or natural disaster, these will offer an added method of communication. Hate to think about that, but it's true.



Pros:

Ease of use

Decent range

Good, loud, clear speaker

Good battery life

Peace of mind

Nice feature set.



Cons:

Transmit button is awkward to use

Belt clip is weak plastic

Advertised range is unrealistic, though they do note that it will be about a mile in an urban area.

Takes a long time to charge.

No included wrist strap, though I think there is a place for one.

Volume button is too easy to move accidentally. Detents would make it much more functional.



Overall, for $40, I'd say these were a pretty good purchase. Will try them again on an upcoming camping trip at the beach and see how far apart we can get straight down the beach. - 2 Way Radios - Adventure - Motorola - Walkie Talkie'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information