Friday 14 October 2011

Science Fiction - science thriller, classic sci-fi


It's hard to complain about a $2 electronic book that gives you over 30 novels/stories in it. There's got to be something for every sci-fi fan in a collection like that. I personally bought it for the Skylark series.



Which brings me to why I only gave the collection 3 stars (actually, I'd like to give 3.5, but that is not an option offered by Amazon).



I have had the entire Skylark series and the Lensman series since I first started reading for enjoyment ... some 40 years ago. I still have all the paperback volumes. But I'm older now and it's much easier for me to use my computer and the Kindle for PCs which Amazon was so kind to give me to read my favorite authors. I was sorely disappointed to find that in all my searching only the first two novels from the Skylark series are available on Kindle. I can't find SL of Valeron or SL DeQuesne in any of the collections or as a seperate purchase. And the same is true of the excellent Lensman series. This is very disappointing to me. True, I still have the paperbacks, but would like the electronic versions now.



In an anthology such as this, with so many titles included; it eludes me as to why the publishers cannot include the complete series. Yes, perhaps it is a question of royalties and such, but writer Smith is no longer with us and some of his work is available (all of it in paperback). It puzzles me.



Well, that is the case with this book. That's my beef. Now, for the casual reader who likes science fiction from the golden years. This electronic book is an incredible value. For less than the price of one of today's paperbacks, you get over 30 novels from some of the older names. Truly the material (technical aspects) is dated and sometimes the story is a little campy. But the writings are very enjoyable.



While I'm hoping for a Kindle release of a complete collections version, this is a good temporary solution and would recommend this to anyone who enjoys science fiction. Great enjoyment that won't empty your wallet.



~P~ The Ultimate Science Fiction Collection: Volume Two (30+ Books)

Three great writers from the Golden Age of SF H. Beam Piper, Mack Reynolds, and E.E. Smith



List of books in Ultimate Science Fiction Volume 2

H. Beam Piper

The Answer

The Cosmic Computer

Crossroad of Destiny

Day of the Moran

Dearest

The Edge of the Knife

Flight from Tomorrow

Four Day Planet

Genesis

Graveyard of Dreams

He Walked around the Horses

The Keeper

Last Enemy

Little Fuzzy

The Mercenaries

Ministry of Disturbance

Murder in the Gunroom

Naudsonce

Null-ABC

Oomphel in the Sky

Omnilungual

Operation RSVP

Patrol

Police Operation

Rebel Raider

The Return

A Slave is a Slave

Space Viking

Temple Trouble

Time and Time Again

Time Crime

Ullr Uprising

Mack Reynolds

Adaptation

The Common Man

Gun for Hire

Medal of Honor

Mercenary

Revolution

A Stranger Here Myself

Subversive

Summit

Unborn Tommorrow

E.E. Smith

The Galaxy Primes

Masters of Space

The Skylark of Space

Skylark Three

Spacehounds of IPC

Subspace Survivors

Triplanetary

The Vortex Blaster

The stories are clearly dated, as I've read quite a few that either dealt directly with or had the backdrop of the arms race between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. and the political systems represented by the two at the time. The stories themselves are bare and simple (character development at times take a backseat) and slowly guide the reader into the their worlds, lending themselves to be easily understood and followed.



This is contrasted with more modern Scifi short stories that tend to throw the reader abruptly into the story and piled on layers of complexity in order to achieve a multidimensional depth. Perhaps with the ages, the scifi aficionados have evolved such that they desire such nuances even from a short story. For folks that like to get back to basics, or for lazy Sundays when you want to lay back and take it easy, these old stories from a simpler time make an enjoyable read.

Fun to read but would have been more fun when I was 10 years old! I am 69 now! Very wordy but the science is close to the mark even remaining far out! And they missed some stuff like computers and robots! - Science Fiction - Anthologies - Classic Sci-fi - Science Thriller'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Science Fiction - science thriller, classic sci-fi science fiction Science Fiction - science thriller, classic sci-fi