Friday 7 October 2011

Random-orbit Sanders


The 5yr warranty and extra sanding disk plus a case make this sander a great value. This sander runs very smooth and quiet compared to the sander being replaced. The switch is located properly varaible speed dial is smooth. Very important my hand doesn't cover the upper motor vents when operating it to prevent overheating the motor. Unfortunately some of the other sanders were designed poorly.

The dust bag connector is designed better and is more secure than other brands that vibrate loose. It's not difficult to remove either. My vacuum hose fits well on the sander too. (My vac fitting is rubber.)

I read physically compared the comfort and design of many random orbital sanders in stores. I read reviews and complaints about many sanders. Most complaints were about vibration, poor quality dust cannisters/bags.

Finally I decided to read the sanders specs, warranties, weight, amperage for effeciency, orbit size myself. I even looked at parts breakdown of each sander to avoid expensive repairs resulting from complicated designs. I read somewhere that heat eventually destroys hook & loop. Most replacement pads cost $20-$30 depending on Mfg. I will prob use PSA discs since they can be a bit cheaper and buy a favorite backup pad before sander models change. Milwaukee 6021-21 Random Orbit Palm Sander with dust collection bag

I recently purchased this sander and so far I am loving it. It has a decent amount of power and the handle has a nice feel and balance. The variable speed is great for different applications. A big plus for me is that this sander is also ready for direct hookup to a shop vac -- just twist and pull on the dust bag to remove it and plug your vac directly onto the back for a near dust-free sanding experience.

Milwaukee brand pulled me to this Orbit Palm Sander. Good brands mean good quality ... it is (5-yr warranty). Nice Case. Not heavy, but heavy enough. Very Well balanced and feels exceptionally comfortable in operation. With attached shop-vac, its clean and that's nice. Powerful motor with variable speed (use most generally at top speed) is handy. I like the soft shut-down and the long cord helps free up the operation. A quiet system for an orbit sander and minimal vibration. Does not fatigue ones hand.



I looked them all over at Home Depot and Lowes and was impressed with several and not so much with others. But in the end, good review comments, nice options, good specs, and a respectable price favored the Milwaukee. It's even better than that in operation. Recommended.

I bought this sander about 4 months ago. I am in the middle of building our dream house and since I am a woodworker I am doing the trim/finish work.

The sander has plenty of power and relatively smooth running machine but there are three issues that I have with it.

First... The sanding canister is a sewn cloth bag. It does collect a lot more dust than the other brands that either have porous canister or a filter canister (Bosch for example) but the cloth bag has a gap where it was sewed together right near the end of the canister. Rather hard to explain but this gap allows a significant amount of fine dust to spray back into the air. Now, it did connect easily to my shop vac and with that connected dust was virtually non existent.

Second.... There are two air vent holes on the left side of the machine that blow motor air out. If you are sanding a side of a cabinet for example the air blows directly in your face. Couple that with some fine dust blowing out of he canister and your eyes will hurt.

Three.. It seems that the pad on my machine takes off (spins up full speed) once it is lifted off of the material. I don't remember if it did this when it was new but I am thinking it did not. After only about 4 months of use I feel that it should not do this.

It's no surprise to anyone who has used sanders, but it is often overlooked; good sandpaper makes a huge difference. The two best sanders I have tried this year are the Bosch and this Milwaukee. I bought this one because it was on sale and the price was so attractive. Glad I did!



It works very smoothly, with little vibration. Even after marathon sanding sessions, I can still feel my fingers well enough to play some piano or guitar. The dust collection is great for a passive system; even better when attached to a shop-vac.



Tip: ANYTIME you sand painted or finished projects, use the vacuum. Finishes are full of stuff you definitely DO NOT want to breathe. The same tip applies to any project assembled with urea formaldehyde resin glues. That stuff can put you in the hospital. Formaldehyde is only safe for people who are already dead. ;-)



This sander is lightweight, starts smoothly and is easy to control. You can press a little without damaging a surface. Like all orbital sanders this one works better when you let the weight of the tool do the work. It is easy to "land" ( like an airplane ) so that you don't get divots. It is easy to to "take-off" without gouging your work-surface.



My wife appreciates how quiet it is, especially since I often work in the garage under our bedroom. The hook-&-loop sandpaper disks change quickly and easily. The bag is a trifle hard to evacuate. Here again, your shop-vac is your friend. Even when I sand outside, I still use the shop vac to remove as much dust as possible from the bag. That makes a BIG difference in dust-collection performance. That's true for any sander, but is especially so with passive collection systems.



I've only had this sander for a few months, but it shows the famous Milwaukee durability. So far, I've used it to complete nine fences, one custom cabinet, three pairs of speaker-cabs, refinished two garden benches, a pair of big game-boards and an antique piano bench. No problems so far. This machine works as advertised and is almost as smooth-quiet-fast as the Bosch for less money. I am very pleased with the performance at any price, and at the price I paid (fifty bucks), consider it a great value.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Random-orbit Sanders Random-orbit Sanders Random-orbit Sanders