Friday 7 October 2011

Macbook Pro Case - macbook pro, case


Speck Satin vs Incase Hardshell Case



Having tried both the Speck and Incase offerings in my 15" MacBook Pro, I can provide the following insights:



Fit:



I believe the fit of the Incase Hardshell case is superior to that of the Speck, which may be due in part to how the rear of the bottom half of each case clips onto the MacBook. The Incase has one long clip that attaches to the underside of the MacBook at the hinge, while the Speck uses only two small clips on either side. The top half of each case fits about the same. Both cases feature 4 small rubber nubs which provide an imperceptible gap between the case and the aluminum surface of the MacBook, preventing any stray particles from grinding between the case and the MacBook causing scratches.



Function:



Neither case impedes the MagSafe power input or screen viewing angle. I noticed some other reviews mention that the added weight of the case caused the screen hinge to seem looser, but that was not my experience whatsoever. I could detect no difference in hinge function, and the screen stayed open using both cases even at the most acute screen angle. Note that I used a MacBook with the matte screen option for this comparison.



The underside of the Speck features one small cutout for heat dissipation, while the Incase has dithering across almost half of the bottom of the case. Not only does it look better aesthetically, but I'd imagine the Incase provides superior heat dissipation as well.



The standby light, IR port, and battery indicator are functional / visible on both cases.



Weight:



In my opinion neither case added inordinate bulk to the MacBook. I carry my MacBook around all day, and I wouldn't hesitate to use either one of these cases.



Quality:



The interior finish of the Incase has the same satin/matte finish as the exterior, while the interior of the Speck has a very cheap shiny plastic finish. Overall, the Incase feels like a higher quality product.



Verdict:



The Incase is superior to the Speck, but not drastically. Pick the case that comes in the color you like best. If both cases come in the color you want, get the Incase; it's worth the extra $15.



Note: This comparison was made between the most recent Speck Satin and Incase Hardshell cases available as of the date of this review, as well as the most recent 15" MacBook Pro w/ matte screen. Speck See Thru Satin Case for 15-Inch MacBook Pro Aluminum Unibody and 15-Inch MacBook Pro with SD Card Slot (MB15AU-SAT-BLK-D)

I love this product. Using it at the very moment. And here's way i like it so much.



very durable,

snugs tight

thinner than expected.

satin feels great, not plasticy

color is soothing to the eyes.

the apple logo shows through the case.



con:

it doesn't cook,

doesn't clean

hardly smiles back

and only hold my hand when i reach out to hold it first...

which are all signs that this case shows no initiative in becoming a human being.

nonetheless, i love its spirit.

I am the type of person that researches stuff into the ground because I want to get the best product possible. I had looked at other cases and had decided on this one once I saw it at my local Apple store. I was not disappointed when I attached it to my 15" MacBook Pro. Once it's on there you don't even notice it. A major reason for choosing the case was the fact that it's a satin or "matte" finish that's easy to carry and would be more difficult to drop. I do carry it in a padded book bag cover so it's not that much of an issue for me but could be for others. The clips are also very small and do not inhibit the screen from closing fully (which I've heard is sometimes a problem with other cases). Also, I can FULLY open the screen well past 90 degrees, which is a great benefit when you lying in bed with it on your lap. The case doesn't get in the way at all. I haven't had a problem with dust getting in behind it either, as some reviewers have stated. I've been in Afghanistan for the past week and haven't gotten any dust behind it. In fact I've had the cover on for a month and haven't gotten much of anything behind it.



All in all I don't think you'll find a better case for your laptop case. I haven't had the opportunity to try out any other cases but you would be hard pressed to find something better.

I bought a Speck case for my 2010 MBP. A couple of weeks later, I bought an Incase hardshell, and sold the Speck case. The price was about $20 more for the Incase, but it was well worth it and I'll explain why.



There are a couple of issues with the Speck case. First, the Macbook Pro uses the aluminum as a way to dissipate heat. That is why the bottom of the case gets hot. That's also why the MBP is so quiet, because it doesn't need 3-4 fans like a PC laptop. People that complain about the bottom of the MBP getting hot seem to not understand this key concept. On the bottom of the Speck case, you can see prefabbed slots that are there for ventilation. However, only the slots on the left corner are "drilled" all the way through. This makes no sense. Yes, the left back side of the MBP does get hotter, but why have prefabbed holes etched in the plastic, but only have 25% of them actually usable?



Second, the bottom part of the Speck case attaches in 4 places. When you look at your MBP upright, and in use, the Speck will clip onto the front left and right sides next to the palmrest areas. The Speck case also clips at the back right and left corners. That's great and it's fine if you have a 13", but on a 15" when you flip over your MBP and look at the Speck case attached to the MBP there most likely will be "bowing" along the whole backside where the hinge is. Plenty of dust and debris can creep up between the Speck case and the bottom of the MBP. The fit is just not snug.



Incase on the other hand solves both of these problems. Incase has vents that go across the ENTIRE bottom/backside. Therefore the MBP can vent properly. Second, the Incase bottom doesn't clip on the back corners, instead it's got one large clip that clips across the entire hinge on the back of the MBP. This eliminates the "bowing" and thus makes the bottom of the case fit better than Speck.



One last thing. The inside of the Speck case is rough and the one I ordered had a few sharp pieces of plastic that weren't shaved down. I had to sand them down for fear of scratching. Incase on the other hand has a smooth surface on the inside which is the same as the surface on the outside.



Yes Incase cost a bit more, but trust me (I've had both), it's well worth the extra investment. - Speck - Case - Apple - Macbook Pro'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


apple Macbook Pro Case - macbook pro, case