Tuesday 18 October 2011

Mini Displayport - macbook, accessories


My home display uses DVI (which is a far more modern standard than VGA), but I often need this adapter for running presentations. Other reviewers have complained about several problems with this adapter. However, Apple recently released a firmware update, which you can download at http://support.apple.com/downloads/_Mini_DisplayPort_to_VGA_Firmware_Update and run (you must have the adapter plugged in and connected to a display) to solve everything. After that, it should work perfectly. Apple Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter MB572Z/A (Retail Packaging)

I bought this for my daughter who is at college and has her own flatscreen TV in her room. She wanted to be able to hook up her Mac laptop to her TV so that she could watch either DVD's played on her laptop or streamed programs from Hulu. She was able to get this hooked up and is really happy with the setup.

No complications or special instructions. I bought it to hook my 13" Macbook Pro (mid-2009) to my 40" Samsung 1080p LCD TV. Works just like it should. I know some people are having a hard time pairing new macbooks with Samsungs using these adapters, but luckily I was not one of them! If you need it, just buy it.

** I bought mine from xcessbuy; the following review MIGHT not apply to the other sellers... But be aware there are knockoffs out there! **



I bought this hoping it would be the official Apple one; but alas, it is a knockoff. This is only obvious when you put it next to the real thing and it's visibly wider and with a longer, cheaper-made cord than the official Apple adapter. But in functionality, you might have problems and I would advise you to rethink risking your money to save a few dollars.



Part of the VGA standard is that devices can transfer an EDID, an identifier telling the computer about the screen's possible resolutions and so on. Some displays do not transfer this EDID; usually they are older, but sometimes this is done on purpose, for example the projectors at my school do not send the EDID on purpose (according to the IT guy).



Why does this matter? The knockoff cable won't detect a screen if it doesn't send an EDID. I bought this for the specific purpose of presenting in my classes, only to find it didn't detect the projector. I went home and it worked on my Dell LCD monitor (it's pretty old) and my little Toshiba TV (I think 18"). The firmware update mentioned in another comment didn't detect this adapter at all because it's a fake; looking in System Profiler, the knockoff's firmware version is "0.00" so it doesn't even pretend to be an official Apple one.



I still needed to hook my MBP to the projectors at school, so I broke down and drove to my local Apple store, where I purchased a real MB572Z/A adapter. I then went straight to a classroom to try it, and it worked flawlessly with the projector system. I double-checked and indeed the knockoff did nothing and the Apple adapter just worked, every time.



I didn't bother trying to return this knockoff cord, I'll keep it for use at home and then use the Apple one everywhere else. But I learned my lesson... In trying to save a few dollars, I ended up wasting money and having to buy the real thing in the end. Don't make the same mistake. Just buy the real thing straight from Apple, unless you know for sure that your screens send the EDID.



(MacBook Pro 17" mid-2010)

Apple seems to be changing their display standards every couple of years or so, and it can be rather confusing to keep up with their latest setups. I recently bought a Mac Mini, and since that machine doesn't come with any peripherals I needed to provide my own. The low-end Mac monitors these days cost almost 40% more than my new Mac, so it would be quite an overkill to get it. Fortunately I have a couple old VGA-connectible monitors lying around, so I decided to use one of these. However, Mac Mini (as well as most new Macs) does not come with an adapter for VGA input, so I needed to buy it separately. The adapter is Mac's own product, and it comes in a very durable yet easy to open package. The quality of the manufacturing for this adapter is pretty high, as one would expect from most Apple products. The only problem that I have with it is that I was unable to screw-in both of my VGA cable's screws, but even without it the attachment works fine. I'd also wish that the price of this cable adapter were lower. I think about half the current price would be fair for this product.

Note, I bought this product from APlusSuperstore. The product that I received is NOT the product that is advertised for sale. What I thought I was ordering was an APPLE manufactured mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter, and I received a knock-off product - not apple manufactured, doesn't even have the apple logo. Its obviously a knock-off because they tried to use all the same colours, etc., but could not go as far as also using the same logo. That really is terrible!



I tried to submit a refund request, but got the message that this requires special handling, so I had to contact Amazon outside of the typical refund process to request a refund.



I had already bought a Venex version from Best Buy, and was actually now looking to buy the real apple deal from Amazon. This is going right back where it came from! - Accessories - Macbook - Adapter - Vga'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Mini Displayport - macbook, accessories accessories Mini Displayport - macbook, accessories