Thursday 6 October 2011

Homeland Security - weather radio, same


The Reecom R-1630 is an excellent weather radio. I bought mine a few months ago after reading an exhaustive amount of reviews. As you might know by now, the Midland radios receive good reviews as well. I was about to buy one, but something kept urging me to purchase the Reecom. Now I am thrilled with my purchase. The R-1630 has all of the features you need in a weather radio, with a few exceptions. I really wish it had keyhole slots on the back so it would be possible to hang it on the wall and, even though I am not currently using it, I wish that the external "audio out" jack were not directly behind the telescoping antenna.



I love that this radio has an "end of message" feature that will return the radio to its previous status after the alarm. In other words, when the NWS issues a warning or watch, the radio will sound the alarm for eight seconds then turn on the radio (voice) so you can hear the message; at the end of the message the radio will turn off again. I never have to get up to find out what is going on. I also like that the radio will show the remaining time of the alert. For example, you can look at the screen for the latest alert, or look at the memory for previous alerts, and see the alert will expire in five hours and twenty-three minutes. This radio will be an excellent investment in your family's safety. Reecom R-1630 Weather Alert Radio

I've owned four different brands of weather radios, and I have to say that they have all done what they're supposed to do, very dependably.

This weather radio stands out for one great feature, and I've only seen it on more expensive models in the past. That feature is the auto standby mode. This lets the radio alarm as it should, and give the the verbal announcement, then go back into standby mode. It's a nice feature if the radio is in a place that's a pain to reach to cancel the alert and put it back into standby manually.

I didn't buy this radio from Amazon, but through a promotion from a local tv station - WPSD Paducah, Kentucky. You don't have to live near the station to take advantage of this promotion. Here is the address of the site where it is being offered: [...].



This is supposed to be a $60 radio on the Reecom site. Don't pay $149 for it, or even $68 - over-priced. I paid $41 for the radio plus $8 shipping, and it came very fast - in two days priority shipping. This radio has lots of features and SAME technology, also has the "defeat siren" feature (or edit siren) so that you can disable alerts that you don't want to receive in the middle of the night. Has four types of audio tones for different levels of alerts - weather statement, advisory, watch, or warning. The radio has received five alerts just today, from surrounding counties that I have programmed SAME codes into. You can get SAME codes for counties at the [...] site. I would definitely recommend buying this radio, great to have during the spring and summer months, or any time of year.

This is a great weather alert radio -- you get a lot of flexibility in terms of selecting which watches/warnings you want to get an audible warning of, and with the SAME encoding, you can set up the radio to only receive alerts for your specific county. The radio also has a set of LEDs that indicate whether there's a current advisory, watch or warning.



The radio gets good reception, and also has ports for an external antenna, for external siren/strobe, and for an external speaker/public address system. In short, the Reecom weather radio is a very capable, very flexible weather radio.



It's also reliable -- I've had mine for a couple years now and have not had any problems with it.



My only small complaint is the volume control -- when listening to the weather radio, the "lowest" setting is still somewhat loud.

This was a GREAT purchase and I would encourage anyone looking for a weather radio to purchase this one. It arrived promptly, was easy to program, and has already proven its reliability since it arrived the 1st of June. This has been an active severe weather month here in Minnesota and we have used it three time already this month. The alarm and flashing lights even woke us up at 3AM when a severe thunderstorm pasted through Minneapolis. We also turn it on in the morning to get the latest weather forecast for the day. Don't hesitate to purchase this radio if you are interested in a weather alert radio.

When my Reecom R-1650 stopped working after 9 months, I followed the instructions in the owner's manual for warranty service. Nowhere in the owner's manual does it say you must call the company first before sending back the radio. Two months later I called the company to find out the status of the repairs and was informed that I had not followed the required procedure for obtaining warranty service. Complying with the owner's manual's instructions apparently was not sufficient. My radio was not repaired, nor was it returned to me. Customer Service will not resolve this problem because the company does not accept responsibility for the misleading information that is in its owner's manual. - Noaa - Same - Emergency Radio - Weather Radio'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information