Friday 21 October 2011

Heart Monitor Watch - ironman, heart rate monitor


Purchased this product about a month ago, and I was originally pleased with it. However, after a couple weeks of use and more focused exercise, I realized this watch doesn't perform. Here are my pros and cons

Pros

-nice look

-easy to use



Cons

-HR strap battey life has not lasted longer than 2 weeks. I've already replaced it twice

-HR readings are all over the place. I'm in good tune with my body, and it has recorded my HR as high as 185-190 for extended periods of time. I've never been able to get my HR past 175, even during an EKG stress test

-HR readings are very inconsisten with readings jumping up and down 10-20 bpm in a 10sec period



Essentially, the product is not reliable. I've used Polar in the past, and was happy to move away from their products with the this Timex. Looks like I'll be changing back. Timex Ironman Men's Road Trainer Heart Rate Monitor Watch

I read all the previous reviews of this particular watch thoroughly before making my decision. I am an active training triathlete and needed the functions provided by this watch for all three sports. Everything worked flawlessly for about 3 weeks and then the crystal started to fog up....I waited for a few days and then it got worse and then ultimately failed. I was not quite sure how to proceed. Do I engage Timex or Amazon? Well, the Timex website was not very return-friendly and so I came back to the Amazon website. OMG....this was so easy...I initiated the request for replacement product and had the new watch within about 4 days and then Amazon provides really easy return shipping labels so it did not cost me anything. Once I got the replacement watch, I used the same packaging for the faulty watch and dropped in the box. No fuss, no mess.



So, my 5-star rating is for both the watch and mostly Amazon.

I purchased this heart rate monitor over a Polar because Timex has an extended warranty available - 4 extra years for a measly $5. I received my watch and called the number on the Timex website and was informed that the extended warranty was not available for this particular model.



I see at the bottom of their website that not all products are available for this extended warranty offer, but in order to find out, you have to refer to the instruction manual. Kinda difficult to read the manual without having the watch in the first place, especially when I couldn't find a store locally that carried the Road Trainer (Gotta love Fort Polk, Louisiana).



Otherwise, I am happy with this HRM. Easy to read, and the set-up/operation is very intuitive, especially if you are familiar with other Timex Ironman products. The wristband fits - my left wrist measures approximately 7 inches. I wear it comfortably loose on the third from the smallest opening, although it needs loosening partway through an upper body weight workout. It fits comfortably tight on the next-tightest opening.



The chest strap fits comfortably - you know its there, but it doesn't pinch or annoy me like I thought it would.



Overall, I am happy with the watch and the chest strap. However, I tend to abuse watches, and an extra 4 years would have been great. That aspect of my purchase is very disappointing.

I have now owned two Timex HRM watches. The first one worked for a reasonable length of time, say 6 or 8 months. It then was not able to receive heart rate data from the chest strap. I changed the battery in the strap, I changed the battery in the watch. I went through every single piece of troubleshooting advice I could find, both from Timex and from and exhaustive internet search. The watch showed the heart icon WITH the animation indicating that data WAS being received, yet it would only show double dash for the current rate. Could not overcome this issue.



It had worked so well for a while, so I thought I'd just get another timex and would have better luck. I was flat out wrong. This one has made it about 2 months and is now refusing to receive data. This time, no matter what I do, the watch will only display the empty heart icon. I have again replaced batteries, "reset" the transmitter, moisture, position, tightness, I even shaved the hair on my chest in the area where the strap sits. NOTHING.



So while this device may work well for a short time out of the package, it has become glaringly clear that it is NOT reliable. I don't think spending $70 every couple of months for a whole new watch and band is an acceptable approach. I will NEVER buy any timex again, and I would strongly advise anyone NOT to get these devices. They are a flat out waste -- oh, unless you only want it for the watch. It's a decent enough watch, but the HRM is worthless!

I have been using my Road Trainer heart rate monitor for several weeks now, and must say it is a must-have for runners and athletes. This is the first HRM I have ever used, so I offer no comparative reviews to other models, but here are a few pros and cons of this particular unit:



PROS:

* Accurate heart beat measurement (just make sure to wet the chest pads a bit with water before wearing)

* Great tracking and review of workout stats (includes: total minutes of workout, time in heart rate zone, peak heart rate, minimum heart rate, calories burned and recovery time)

* Easy-to-read display, which is critical when you just want to glance down at the watch before looking back at the road/path

* Chest strap is very comfortable and stays in place (I'm a lean 5'11" 154lbs, so I can understand if larger guys find the strap snug)

* Customizable heart rate zone, great for changing the intensity of your workout

* Really informative manual and heart-health booklet included with this

* The watch looks nice enough to wear casually



CONS:

* The wrist watch strap is fairly large -- even for those with larger wrists

* There seems to be some relay lag between chest strap and watch if I start running too quickly. This is resolved if I slow down and allow the watch to "catch up," but it generally takes over two minutes to synch if I don't do this, which obviously skews the data

* The calorie counter tends to be somewhat inconsistent, either showing far too many or too few calories burned (I am by no means trying to lose weight, but I do need to monitor how many calories I need to consume in order to refuel -- especially when approaching race day)



I have not used this for biking or swimming, but I run roughly 15-20 miles per week, and can honestly say I will never be without my Road Trainer. My only regret is not having purchased it sooner! - Hrm - Cycling - Heart Rate Monitor - Ironman'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Heart Monitor Watch - ironman, heart rate monitor heart rate monitor Heart Monitor Watch - ironman, heart rate monitor