Wednesday 14 September 2011

Folding Knife - pocket knife, folding knife


I have hundreds of tactical folders to compare this knife to and it stands up superbly. It's build quality is outstanding, opens quickly and easily, quality of the steel is adequate, the blade shape is attractive and useful, the grip is comfortable and much improved over earlier version (they had sand paper, current version has thin rubber inserts), and Kershaw's service and support is perfect.

In my duty use in the military, I have used Blurs for several years and they always impress. For $55 you should buy several and give them as heirloom gifts. Other knives with these features and opening speed, including automatics like Microtech and ProTech, will cost three times as much. A great knife that will last forever with care.

It took me a minute to understand the right way to open this knife, it's not like the Chive or Leek. Once I did, OH YEAH; just push straight forward with your thumb and this thing is Black Lightning. The grip is such that you could hold onto the knife if it was covered in grease. I love all of Ken Onion's designs but this is the best one yet from Kershaw.

Fun, cool, outstanding, fast, well built, ok ok I get it on with the review.

Best Tactical folder I own. here's why

Upside;

1. Fastest assisted opener I've seen. A little thumb pressure on the really well crafted thumb studs and "smack". Opens in a "blur".

2. Blade stregth is superb. Arrives sharp, stays sharp, and cuts with ease.

3. Perfect size. Extremely comfertable in the hand.

4. The grip is very good. An almost soft rubbery silicone grip tape along the outside will not allow you to let go.

5. Pre drilled holes for tip up or tip down carry.

6. If you get the Blur with the partially serrated edges, the serrations are wicked sharp.

7. Well built, put it through abuse fella's just don't get stupid with it.



Downside;

1. Thumb jimping is pretty weak, however, the grip tape works.

2. The pocket clip is reallllly tight. Tough to draw from the pocket without bringing your pocket with it.



Overall, I own several, buy it. Its great. It is the one knife I take everyday on duty. I refuse to leave my patrol car without it. Good job Kershaw.

To be honest I was a little taken a back by its size out of the box. This is a serious blade, at first I was really hesitant to wear it in public. I've since gotten use to it. No one has made any comments about it being over the top. This being said, I live in the county side where carrying a large pocket knife is not abnormal.



Two months in, my initial unease has faded. This is a fantastic knife, the grip feels natural and sure, even when wet. It's faster and more reliable than any switch blade could be, and it's legal. It keeps its edge very well, opens perfectly, every time and hypothetically speaking it will do the job if you're ever in a dark alley and need to make a point about the cons of mugging a perfect stranger.*****



It's a beautiful and effective tool, I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a larger sized, quick opening pocket knife.



*Two months into owning this knife, I was attacked and put to the ground in a choke hold, when my hand found this knife, you have no idea how relived I was. It opened perfectly and quickly with one hand,

(I was pinned face down) All it took was a minor cut to get the guy off me, I was able to hold him off until help arrived.



For those of you who think it can't happen, be prepared.

this is a very fast assisted open knife. the handles have non slip inserts that are very comfortable. you just have to keep in mind that this s the high carbon model and it will rust very quickly if not oiled frequently. all around great knife and shaving sharp out of the box.

I have owned several Kershaw folders over many years. There is no question that this knife is a great tool, but just knowing some differences might make it a better fit. The clip holds like crazy! so if you are pulling it in and out of your pocket all day it takes some getting used to. The handle texture is like nothing else I've seen, very unlikely to slip out of your hand. But if you put your hand in your pocket it will rub against and that can be irritating. I like that the point is not as narrow as other Kershaws, way more robust. To reiterate, this review is all positive and this knife will perform in every way. I would buy this knife again.

I have owned many knives over the years but this one has to be the best. I also own the Leek and Scallion. I would rank them in order with Blur best, Scallion 2nd and Leek 3rd. They are all better than all the other brands I own. The Blur just fits the hand so well and it is big and solid enough to do all the hard outside work I put it through. It holds an edge better than most and I use the clip for money as I don't like it hanging from the clip and can get to it much easier in my pocket. The speed safe on this is great. I have put this knife through it all summer now using it from cutting cabbage, broccoli, and other veggies out of the garden to edging my sidewalk with it, and every other job imaginable. I throw it in the sink with the dishes and wash it along with the rest. I have sharpened it one time and it has held that edge very well. I can't imagine a more useful knife and I highly recommend it. - Knife - Pocket Knife - Edc - Folding Knife'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information