Wednesday 31 August 2011

Zero Gravity - bullet, space pen


Pen is very well made all metal, refill is everything they claim it is. Get a lil piece of the space program of old with this pen. This is not the little bullet pen you see in the office supply places but a normal perhaps a little smaller in diameter pen suitable to carry in your shirt pocket. Fisher Space Original Astronaut Space Pen

This pen is well enough made that it will put up with pretty much any abuse that you put it through. It is solid and performs as advertised. I am a bit of a compulsive clicker when it comes to pens, so the mechanism is a bit of a novelty that I like. I have actually purchased 2 now... the second to replace the original that I lost. After owning it about 6 months, the chrome is wearing a little on the button that retracts the pen, but other than the slight cosmetic wear, it looks great and writes great. The ink does have a tendency to gob up if you are left handed, but not as bad as a Cross pen. The refills are a tad expensive.

My Uncle Ted gave me one of these for Christmas in 1972. He worked at the Manned Spacecraft Center in Houston as an Engineer for NASA and he got one of the first batches that was available to the public. I have it sitting in front of me, and it still works. The cartridge has been changed more than a few times over the years, but it is still the same pen that I used all through high school and college. A great, great pen for anyone with a sense of history and appreciation of what we have done in space.

This is an amazing pen...best one I have ever used.



It is 'heavy' in the way a good pen should be, good balance, very well made, and the ink lasts for a very long time. Solid brass construction. The finger grips are solid without being to deep as to cause discomfort after long periods of writing.



Vs. some of the high end $200-$300 pens this one is clearly better for writing, much better made, and far less costly.

I decided to purchase the AG7 pen after I had purchased the bullet pen. I love my bullet pen, so I figured I would love this one too. And I do. This pen is so eye catchy and appealing. I love the retract button on the side and the chrome finish. Also to know that this pen hasn't been changed at all over the years is also neat. You get to use the same pen every astronaut or cosmonaut has used in the space program. I do write upside down, and outside, and even in the rain. It hasn't failed me yet. Also, just some history, contrary to popular belief, the CCCP did not use pencils in space. Why? The lead shavings and dust from the pencil would float around in orbit and perhaps injure the astronaut or space module. Also, NASA did not invent the space pen. It was invented by Fisher for the space program. The ink cartridge is pressurized, forcing the ink to the ball point. This pen writes very smoothly and feels nice in my hand. I got this AG7 for mainly two reasons. 1. The history behind it, and 2; the fact that I can literally use it anywhere, anytime. This pen is always in my bag or coat pocket. If I forget it, I have my bullet pen to fall back on. Fisher has nailed it with these pens. It'll be the last pen I buy, and it will probably be the last one you buy too.

This pen is great. I use a pen constantly during my work, estimating and adjusting homes. I draw often, and also write and fill out a lot of forms and notes for homeowners. I think using a nice pen is great for improving my attitude and experience at work, and I believe it also helps if you are trying to get someone to sign either a contract or a check. Having a nice pen sitting there makes a difference.

Anyway, I have quite a few spacepens, including the AG-7, this CH-4, a few of the bullet pens, and a couple cap-o-matics as well. I do not have experience with either the MARS or Millenium II, because they look uncomfortably thick to hold.



I'm going to start with what I think is the CH-4's main competitor...



The AG-7 is a great pen, I think you should own one. The only problem, is that during extended use the pen begins to feel a bit top-heavy because of the taper and the thickness. The pen's weight is a great quality, but if it's hot and your hand is sweating, the grooves can be insufficient for easy gripping. I think the mechanism makes up a significant portion of the weight. The clicks are smooth and satisfying - I find myself clicking it while I am not writing, but just walking and holding the pen.



The CH-4 is a fantastic pen! You need to own one. There is no problem with this pen. After using and loving the AG-7 for months, I tried the CH-4 because of the cooler pen-clip imprint (SPACE w/orbit logo, contrasted with AG-7). The barrel of the pen is straight and only begins to taper at the proper point. The pen itself is still pleasantly heavy, and the mechanism is very satisfying as well. It does lack some of the click down pressure, compared to what is required with the AG-7, as well as some of the release power.

This small deterioration in mechanism potency (I surmise 15%) is a small concession to make.



The bullet pens are nice for pockets, and the cap-o-matics are ok - but a little light-weight for my taste, and more suited for purses.



I suggest owning a few different styled spacepens if you need multiple colors while working, as I do. I can grab my AG-7 to do red corrections, my turquoise pocket bullet for notes, and my trusty and irreplaceable CH-4 in black for the bulk of the work. I also bought one for my Dad for father's day with engraving (order from the real site to get the best, it costs more - but it's official)



Happy writing!

My husband LOVES pens - and when he unwrapped this, he went bonkers! He HAD to write upside-down with it immediately, and I later caught him trying to write with it under water! lol! He is very pleased with this pen, and it is one of his most prized possessions. Every space program/astronaut enthusiast will love this pen - as well as people who love pens. Be careful when writing upside-down, though - when you're not in zero gravity, this heavy pen will go straight down...as evidenced by the small bruise on my husband's forehead! (Unseen attribute...entertainment! LOL!) - Bullet - Zero Gravity - Space Pen - Fisher'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Zero Gravity - bullet, space pen space pen Zero Gravity - bullet, space pen