Wednesday 24 August 2011

Waterproof Pad - waterproof pad, baby


Vinyl Free Waterproof Pad, November 30, 2008





I bought a set of these pads and now I'm buying another. They are just so useful. I use them under my baby (who was a premie as is now 9 weeks and 9 lbs) all the time, whether on the bed, on the couch, or anywhere else I'm worried about spitup or other accidents. I'm also going to get some bigger ones for when he grows, but I still want more in this size because they're so handy.



I was looking for a waterproof pad that was not vinyl, partly because I can't stand the smell of vinyl and partly because it makes my baby sweat. These are perfect.



Pros:

- Waterproof

- Lightly quilted, which my little guy likes, and the padding absorbs liquid really well - so well that sometimes I have to feel twice to check if it's really wet.

- Easy care: I throw them in the washer and dryer, and they've been washed dozens of times already and are holding up well.



Cons:

- The organic flannel fabric does pill, so if you're really adverse to pilling these might drive you nuts, but for me their usefulness outweighs this con by far.

I bought both the Snoozy Organic Flannel Cotton Waterproof Multi Use Pad smaller 2 pack as well as as the larger single pad. I don't know why these were so expensive. The organic cotton fabric is of very poor quality. It doesn't stand up well to frequent washings, which you honestly need to do quite often with these. They are waterproof, but I wouldn't call them absorbent. Once they get peed on, sweated enough on, or slightly damp by some other way, they act like a sponge ready to let go of any retained liquid at the slightest touch. As soon as they're damp, I have to wash them! And literally, it doesn't take much to make them feel damp. It's probably due to the polyester stuffing--it makes it fluffy, buy that stuff will not hold moisture.



When I decided to buy these, I thought I being smart. I could use these as changing pads, as extra-protection beneath my baby (especially when he slept), to nurse in a side-lying position. . .but these haven't been very useful at all. Honestly, it's been easier for me just to use towels for these multi-uses. And I thought I would save money with these. I wish I would have gotten a Bowron lambskin for my baby instead. It seemed too expensive at the time, but now I realize it would be a better buy and will order one soon. Even a plain old bath towel is more absorbent than these, if not waterproof. Granted, these pads only claim to be "waterproof" (which they are) and not "absorbent," but then what's of adding all the extra padding that trap extra moisture only to quickly release it? It would make more sense to just have the waterproof material with organic cotton on top without ANY polyester padding in the middle. That way it could air dry quickly, thereby being more comfortable for my baby to be on longer. Or if it had no fabric or padding, I could wipe moisture away. At least I didn't rely solely on these to protect my mattress from baby-related fluids; I got a Naturepedic Organic Waterproof Mattress Pad too. It works great and holds up in the wash!

These pads are two of the best items I have purchased so far for my baby! I use one or both of them every day to keep the baby on for air time out of her diaper as well as when I have the baby with me on the bed or couch--even when the baby is diapered--just in case. I am definitely getting more of these as well as the smaller version. I just wish they were available in a third size in between the smaller and the larger versions.

This is very soft and fluffy; it is actually puffy coming out of the dryer. The size is a good fit for regular changing pads, or the ones on a pack & play which is where I'm using mine. But it pilled the first time I washed it, and the seams around the edges are not finished in a very elegant manner. It has been washed once and looks like it's a year old. So it is a bit "homey" in appearance, which is not the end of the world. I like it and will continue to use it, but I prefer the Kushies Deluxe Change Pad, Cream Polka Dots which has a much more polished look. It's not organic though, so if that's important to you and you don't mind it looking more worn than it really is, then this product is great.

These pads have been invaluable. At first, before baby arrived, my husband didn't see how these would be so essential, but he quickly changed his mind the first week w/ our newborn son. We ordered another 2-pack so we would have extras on standby for when the others were in the wash or soiled. We keep one in the crib, one on the changing pad, and anywhere else our baby is and there is the potential for a diaper blow-out (i.e., on top of the Boppy pillow while nursing) or a spit-up mishap. After quite a few washings, the pads are holding up well, no pilling, and still doing their job. I washed in warm water to work on the stains and that worked good, after first rinsing w/ hot water and treating with Bac-Out stain remover. - Changing Pads - Waterproof Pad - Waterproof - Baby'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information