Friday 22 July 2011

Stripped Screw - screw remover, alden


I used the Pro Grabit to remove 2 1/2" screws that have secured my deck for 20 years and have been intractable for many years. It worked well for a several screws, but then the extractors broke. Reading the warnings in the detailed instructions, I find: "Tool can be compromised if extracting large screws exceeding 2 inches in length and/or have aggressive threads". Alden 8430P Pro Grabit Broken Bolt and Damaged Screw Extractor 3 Piece Kit

Drill head is made of something about as durable as coathanger wire, bit barely worked on a clean screw, rusted? forget about it. drill tip wore to uselessness on 4th screw, extractor rounded out by fifth, you'd do better with your money by buying a lottery ticket, at least you'd have a small chance of getting your money's worth....the only reason I rated it one star is that they won't let me rate it ZERO stars.

I am removing deck screws from my decking... they are 2 1/2 screws and a few of them stripped the phillips head when I was removing them. I worked with this tool for over an hour and only was able to remove one screw. And then I burned up the "easy-out" end of the tool. I was using the middle sized tool, since my screw size is #8. The boring end of the tool acted like it was dull and did not want to drill into the screw head... and the lack of depth was likely the reason it didn't work. After the middle size was totaled, I tried the small size... it bored in easily, but the tool was too small to work on such a large screw. I feel I wasted $20 and a lot of my time ordering and testing it.

Using the Pro Grabit couldn't be easier. I stripped normal sized screws when installing floorboards and digging them out would have caused a lot of damage. Using the Pro Grabit as instructed I was able to quickly and easily remove even screws that I had stripped to a round hole!



I think the other reviewer should have bought the 4 piece kit since it has the largest Grabit (No 10 or 3/8) and would have taken care of his problem. I have also used the 4 piece (which is the same as the 3 piece but with the extra largest size Grabit bit). Same Made in the USA craftsmanship and nice little case to keep them all together.



Overall a perfect item to have around when you get a caught with a stripped screw or bolt. I'd recommend having one in every handyman's toolkit.

READ THE DIRECTIONS and take your time and they'll work just like they say they will and you'll be happy you bought them.

Not an often used tool, but when you need them, nothing else will do. I've only needed them 4 or 5 times, but have been amazed each time when the tool bailed me out!

It didn't work my first time because I hadn't read the directions and therefore hadn't drilled the head deep enough. When I did, the lag screw backed right out. - Screw Removal - Screw Remover - Stripped Screw - Alden'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Stripped Screw - screw remover, alden stripped screw Stripped Screw - screw remover, alden